• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Losing Interest in Things Your Friends Still Like

Corrie

I hear the secrets that you keep...
Bells
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Yellow Balloon
White Pansy
White Pansy
Have you ever lost interest in things that you and your friend(s) have bonded over and then had it make your friendship kinda stale since you no longer have much in common and don't know what to talk about?

If so, please give your story and tell what you did to solve the problem!

Yes. I lost interest in acting really weird after 8th grade, and eventually I got pushed out of my group for being different and wearing makeup and dressing less like a tomboy.. Later down the line, they started considering me a slut and a ***** for talking to "popular" boys and that really hurt me. When I started dating someone from their group (my current bf), they told him not to cuz I would cheat. All this because I changed my style and started talking to others people that they didn't like. All those years in highschool they never stopped being judgmental and exclusive, so I guess I didn't lose much.

Yes. I lost interest in acting really weird after 8th grade, and eventually I got pushed out of my group for being different and wearing makeup and dressing less like a tomboy.. Later down the line, they started considering me a slut and a ***** for talking to "popular" boys and that really hurt me. When I started dating someone from their group (my current bf), they told him not to cuz I would cheat. All this because I changed my style and started talking to others people that they didn't like. All those years in highschool they never stopped being judgmental and exclusive, so I guess I didn't lose much.

That sounds really crappy :( It sounds like you were definitely better off without them so I'm happy for you! ^_^ I love how you said "acting really weird." What do you mean exactly? Like the "cute" and crazy randomness thing?

That sounds really crappy :( It sounds like you were definitely better off without them so I'm happy for you! ^_^ I love how you said "acting really weird." What do you mean exactly? Like the "cute" and crazy randomness thing?

Like, kind of acting weird and loud in public. I became more self aware and calm. It became embarrassing to act so obnoxiously like they were. I still loved them at the time, but I was too different by then and I was no longer accepted. How strange that you could be best friends with people for a year and suddenly just fall out of the group..

Like, kind of acting weird and loud in public. I became more self aware and calm. It became embarrassing to act so obnoxiously like they were. I still loved them at the time, but I was too different by then and I was no longer accepted. How strange that you could be best friends with people for a year and suddenly just fall out of the group..

Ah, I know exactly what behaviour you're talking about. I was best friends with this girl from grades 10-12. We were like that as well and eventually I graduated and went to college when she went back to highschool for a year. We eventually lost touch when we made friends in college and highschool. I went to talk to her but she literally hadn't changed since highschool, meaning that she was still loud, overly sexual cause it was funny and making fun of people in public, things her and I embarrassingly enough did together. But since I stopped doing all those things, we kinda didn't mix anymore so we kinda just drifted apart. It sucks when that happens. ^^;

Ah, I know exactly what behaviour you're talking about. I was best friends with this girl from grades 10-12. We were like that as well and eventually I graduated and went to college when she went back to highschool for a year. We eventually lost touch when we made friends in college and highschool. I went to talk to her but she literally hadn't changed since highschool, meaning that she was still loud, overly sexual cause it was funny and making fun of people in public, things her and I embarrassingly enough did together. But since I stopped doing all those things, we kinda didn't mix anymore so we kinda just drifted apart. It sucks when that happens. ^^;

It does suck, but at the same time, we're better for it. At least that how I choose to think about it. Otherwise it just makes me feel bad lol

Last edited:
this is actually kinda happening with my best friend and me. we used to get along so well, we never even argued. we could literally talk about stuff all night and whenever we were together we couldn't be upset or mad. recently though, we've kinda fallen out of that.. we hang out with other people (well she does, i don't hang out with anyone lol), we hardly talk anymore unless it's about her needing a ride to work or something. it sucks, but in way it's almost a relief..
she's recently become extremely narcissistic and manipulative and she really just makes me feel bad about myself. maybe it's not recent at all, i've just never noticed?? idk. shes also been projecting a lot of her insecurities onto me and making me seem like a bad person to other people :| and tbh i don't even know what to do about it.
so yeah this kinda got off topic?? but idk i definitely can relate to feeling like you're losing your connection with friends. its such a horrible feeling :(

I went through that in college. I went to community college and worked to pay for classes and housing on my own, and my friends were living in student loans and money from parents. They wanted to go out a lot and spend money frivously while I wanted to keep within my budget because I didn't want to go crawling to my parents asking for anything.

They decided I didn't go out enough or make enough trips to their colleges which were hours away, so we drifted apart and never reconnected.

i fell out of the furry community i think... well its just that a lot of people take it really seriously like a lifestyle which is fine but i just like making furry characters not like what other furries do if that makes sense. this made my friends that were furries mad because furaffinity is considered only for hardcore furries which im not but i would post my art there a lot. theyre kind people but my friends just stopped talking to me even when i approached them

it was also like this with the anime community but worse. i've only watched 2 or 3 animes so when i said i was a fan of it they were kind of passively raging at me. they told me it was nothing and they've each watched like 50 different animes and read a bunch of manga. i guess anime just wasnt for me if thats what a fan is. they shouldnt have gotten so defensive though. and they were being salty about what the animes i watched were since they werent really known to be exciting i guess. i ended up never talking to my friends that liked anime irl but its awkward cause i see them in japanese still. never taking that again lol

i fell out of the furry community i think... well its just that a lot of people take it really seriously like a lifestyle which is fine but i just like making furry characters not like what other furries do if that makes sense. this made my friends that were furries mad because furaffinity is considered only for hardcore furries which im not but i would post my art there a lot. theyre kind people but my friends just stopped talking to me even when i approached them

it was also like this with the anime community but worse. i've only watched 2 or 3 animes so when i said i was a fan of it they were kind of passively raging at me. they told me it was nothing and they've each watched like 50 different animes and read a bunch of manga. i guess anime just wasnt for me if thats what a fan is. they shouldnt have gotten so defensive though. and they were being salty about what the animes i watched were since they werent really known to be exciting i guess. i ended up never talking to my friends that liked anime irl but its awkward cause i see them in japanese still. never taking that again lol

I feel like some anime fans take anime waaaaaay too seriously, even though it's just a hobby. They treat it like it's really important or is a lifestyle. My brother is an example of those people. He would get legit mad if I ever said I didn't like a show he liked, if I didn't watch shows he recommended for me, if I rated a show he liked on MyAnimeList too low, if I didn't watch anime often enough, if I watched a show in dub instead of sub or vice versa. He also said I had a bad taste in anime or didn't know what good anime was and would make fun of me for not watching as much anime as him.

It got ridiculous.

Back