Soo What is your Opinion on Hack items/villagers?

I'm completely fine with other people hacking their game. I'd be okay with buying/trading for hacked items *provided* I knew they were hacked. I haven't knowingly done so yet but that's more because of the rules here than any moral stance on my part.

I know ACWW had the risk of "seeding" ruining your town but to my knowledge that isn't something that's happened in ACNL. I'd be happy to visit a hacked town or have them visit me, though I'd rather know in advance just because I find open and honest communication more reassuring than finding out for myself.

I can see why some are concerned about how allowing hacked items to be sold would affect the economy here. I do think that if hacked items were clearly labelled and sold as such, then people could make their choice about whether to purchase legit or hacked items depending on individual preferences. Personally, I'm happy to pay premium prices and I favour convenience over saving some bells/TBT, so I'd purchase a mix of legit and hacked items. I don't use other sites to get items as I prefer the wifi/trade rating system here, but there's nothing stopping people here looking elsewhere for cheap hacked items as it stands. They're just at higher risk of being scammed or harrassed etc.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I dont want anything to do with hacked villagers or flowers though. Those seem to come with risks or consequences I'm not prepared to put up with. If they were being sold as hacked items with full disclosure of what that means in this particular instance then I'd have no problem with them being sold.

I hack sometimes. If I'm sick of a villager and want another, I'll hack.

I haven't and wouldn't hack, even if I had the desire or time to study up on how to do it, which I don't. Nor do I understand what hacking really is. Is buying blue roses off TBT, because I got tired of waiting and trying to spawn them myself, considered hacking?

Speaking of blue roses, I bought two off TBT a while back and they only produced white roses. From what I read about that, I guess they were hacked, so I threw them in the trash bin and bought some more (from someone else :p). They are giving me one or two new blue roses almost every day. I didn't change any methods, either.

I was offered a basket of infinite perfect peaches on TBT...that must be a hack, right? I was really tempted to take it...nope, I didn't.

So, I guess I don't care if people hack their own towns, etc, but please, TBT, don't knowingly allow hacked items/villagers, etc, to be bought, sold, traded, given away on the forums. (Although I'm sure it's already being done, unknowingly?) If I think stuff has been hacked, I avoid dealing with that person. Easy!

Yes, I filled out the new poll.

Last edited:
Hacking is when you alter the games code to change/add/remove something. Like hackers can give themselves any items they want, change their town map, etc.

hacking is fine, who cares anyways its been like 5 years lol. i dont have the time to grow flowers day by day so being able to get infinite amounts any time at that moment is amazing. this goes for villagers and projects too. i think hacking is fine if you've been playing the game forever but if you just picked up ac you should try to play it without hacks. and hacking acnl basically just enables stuff that should have been put into the game already. i think hacking will be less common in the next game if they change a few things and overall just make it easier to obtain stuff. stop telling me i need patience to play ac. let me do what i want when i want with my pocket town damn it :D but overall hacking is a blessin

- - - Post Merge - - -

also there arent any risks of buying and picking up hacked items because the game will treat it as a normal item you've obtained somehow from leif or the nooks depending on what item you got (flowers, furniture, etc). why are people scared????? i have never heard of anyone's games crashing or something from a hacked item or even using the map editor unless they made a stupid map design or piled buildings ontop of eachother. but thats rare and easily fixable

-- snip --

why are people scared????? i have never heard of anyone's games crashing or something from a hacked item or even using the map editor unless they made a stupid map design or piled buildings ontop of eachother. but thats rare and easily fixable

As I mentioned in my post, and at least one other person did elsewhere in this thread, "seeding" in ACWW (and ACCF although that was never a real risk for me) was a real risk to your game if you were unlucky. I was justifiably 'scared' of that happening and killing my entire town with no hope of recovery. I don't think many people would be okay with that happening to their town, to say the least.

Now, the hacking in ACNL may well be purely benign and I've certainly not heard of "seeding" being a thing in this game. But I remain cautious as it only takes *one* ****wit to **** it up for everyone.

I'm personally keen to steer clear of hacked villagers and flowers for several reasons, the main one being that I want in-game things to behave as the normal in-game things they appear to be. If a villager has another one's house/catchphrse/whatever then that could cause me no end of confusion when looking things up online. I don't want to have to vet any potential move-ins for legitimacy, but I would hate to get stuck with a poorly hacked villager even more so. Thankfully I can avoid that entire problem since I have the amiibo cards. But until the Welcome Amiibo update there was no recourse except the 16 villager cycle.

A hybrid that can *never* breed hybrids can happen normally, but since it seems common for *all* hybrids in a batch to have that issue, I just don't want to deal with it. Let alone risk accidentally passing along the frustration to someone else if I ever trade/gift hybrids.

As I mentioned in my post, and at least one other person did elsewhere in this thread, "seeding" in ACWW (and ACCF although that was never a real risk for me) was a real risk to your game if you were unlucky. I was justifiably 'scared' of that happening and killing my entire town with no hope of recovery. I don't think many people would be okay with that happening to their town, to say the least.

Now, the hacking in ACNL may well be purely benign and I've certainly not heard of "seeding" being a thing in this game. But I remain cautious as it only takes *one* ****wit to **** it up for everyone.

I'm personally keen to steer clear of hacked villagers and flowers for several reasons, the main one being that I want in-game things to behave as the normal in-game things they appear to be. If a villager has another one's house/catchphrse/whatever then that could cause me no end of confusion when looking things up online. I don't want to have to vet any potential move-ins for legitimacy, but I would hate to get stuck with a poorly hacked villager even more so. Thankfully I can avoid that entire problem since I have the amiibo cards. But until the Welcome Amiibo update there was no recourse except the 16 villager cycle.

A hybrid that can *never* breed hybrids can happen normally, but since it seems common for *all* hybrids in a batch to have that issue, I just don't want to deal with it. Let alone risk accidentally passing along the frustration to someone else if I ever trade/gift hybrids.

yeah i guess people could still be scared but it hasnt happened yet! i think if reliable people make their own shops it could work out well

I don't hack myself, but I do know I buy some items that're hacked, but that doesn't bother me much. If people want to hack, let them hack! I hacked my Wild World back then when I was in elementary, but that's about it. I only hacked that game for money xD

It seems to me the biggest issue with hacking is that the hybrid flowers are messed up. I know personally hacking in fish/bugs into your iventory wont add them into your enclycooedia as well. I can understand not wanting to buy flowers that makes sense. Other wise I am pro hacking there no "right" way to play. I think that argument is pretty silly.

I think hacking is a good thing, I mean to unlock PWP's, get A GOOD MAP, get your dreamies, I'm all for it. But I think it's terrible if you hack items and villagers, then sell them.

i love hacking my game. People think it takes away the fun, because there won't be anything to do but thats just not the case. its not even that easy to hack, you have to plan these things and you still play day to day. The only reason i hack is because of that stupid issue that some bushes don't grow in places and next to cliffs. So my town is pretty natural, id say. The only thing i hack is the positioning of my villagers and bushes. its super addictive anyway, sometimes i can't help but move around my island and replace things hehe!

My two oldest towns (including my current town, Nuzlocke) have never been hacked. I know how to hack and do it often when people want certain items, though. They always know that I've hacked the items, and the most I've ever received from hacked items was a few cherries and pears for my regular town. Hacking any town I plan on enjoying for months or years is boring to me, but if I can help another person with items or make a person's day, I'm all for it. Sometimes I'll just change my name to something with cool symbols and have some fun with it on the island. This is with an alt. copy of my town.

And as of now, I'm furnishing rooms in a new town and figuring out how I like to decorate. ^.^

When it comes to town hacking, as long as it's not hurting anyone, why not?

Also, I'm only really okay with hacking/duping items that are region-locked, things that people who don't live in, say, Japan couldn't get otherwise. As for hacked villagers, I don't see the point in them anymore, what with there being Amiibo cards for literally every villager now.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it. I don't hack my town (mainly because I'm too lazy to learn how) but I think it allows for some really cool towns.

doesn't bother me at all. it's bizarre to me that it's such a huge point of controversy - i mean, i can understand why hacking would be unfair for the forum's purposes (trading, etc), but outside of that, people should be able to do whatever they want to their own towns without getting flak for it

Maybe Nintendo will learn something from this? People want more control over how they want to design their towns. I've hacked just to decorate the town and align my villagers' houses, as well as change my town name. It's easier for path placement too, so that's a big plus. The only thing I won't do is unlock all the pwps, because even though I hate waiting for villagers to suggest them, by doing so, it gives me a reason to keep playing.

Wouldn't mind this being done for villagers...

Hackers would allow people to adopt the Sanrio, Zelda, Fueki, and 7-11 villagers, which would obviously please many.
Overall, it wouldn't seem like a bad idea, even if it's just for villagers.

I'm not against hacking personally, especially since the game has been out for so long. I don't hack just because I don't really have the time or energy to put into it, but I don't see a real issue with it. The items usually aren't things that would cost real money to get, even amiibo card stuff can be given to you in game so it's not stealing in my mind. As for aesthetics, I don't care for the look of putting things where they wouldn't naturally occur, like clovers on the plaza or something, but that's highly personal opinion!

I just discovered how to hack and now I just do a little experimenting and some minor edits. I reset my old town a few months ago which I totally regret, and this town isn't as precious and filled with memories as my last one was. So I think hacking can be a way that I can get used to it and call it home. I don't use it to make a profit, I use it to enjoy the game ^.^

Back