• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Soo What is your Opinion on Hack items/villagers?

I am fine with people hacking. I don't do it myself personally, but I don't mind at all when people do. How else could we get region based DLC items? Hackers make that possible. It makes the game more fun. So I say, keep hacking my friends! :)

In fact, one day, I might just try it myself, once I'm finished my town and there's nothing else to do. It seems like a great way of extending the game! ^_^

I don't like hacking the actual game and thus, homebrewing my system (I'm way too terrified of bricking my 3DS and/or destroying my towns), but I do have that item that allows you to create backup save files and also give your mayor pretty much any item in the game. Sometimes I get impatient and just want the stuff in my house.

tbh I don't mind hacking. I like my villagers original 100% and if someone's going to do something like change a shirt, I'm going to put them back into their original state. If I want my house one square to the right boom, problem solved. If I want a fairy tale train station well damn it i'm going to put a fairy tale train station. I just don't like those that are all like wow you're town is so pretty and then they see minor hacks like two stumps beside each other and they're like oh it's hacked. like no damn it I've had this town for three years and I've only just grasped the basics of hacking in the past week. my flowers are legitimate don't give me that 'oh it's hacked'

i find them annoying - i try so hard to make my town look nice, keep villagers in town, plot reset them to the exact right positions, go to the garden shop everyday, grow hybrids etc and someone can skip those months of work for a few days

I've never hacked really any game, not sure how to, I think it's ok nothing is wrong with it some people just might like it

i've never hacked on AC:NL. however i wish i could, i don't see anything wrong with hacking as long as it doesn't take the fun out of others. i've almost completed my town and i'd be less proud of it if i hacked my town. i want to add cedars in places they cannot grow and that's probably the only reason why i want to hack hahah. AC:NL is a frustrating game (for me, at least) when you're at the beginning of developing your town, but once you're happy with it it's the best game ever. hacking is good if you want to get things done quickly but i also have no problem with hacked towns. it still takes a lot of effort to make your town look good and some people who hack can pull it off flawlessly

i also don't care about hacked items unless they're hybrids. i've been sold blue roses before that turned out to be hacked and they'd only produce white ones, i'm not going to point any fingers though because the person selling it might have not even known they were hacked in the first place.

Last edited:
i've never hacked on AC:NL. however i wish i could, i don't see anything wrong with hacking as long as it doesn't take the fun out of others. i've almost completed my town and i'd be less proud of it if i hacked my town. i want to add cedars in places they cannot grow and that's probably the only reason why i want to hack hahah. AC:NL is a frustrating game (for me, at least) when you're at the beginning of developing your town, but once you're happy with it it's the best game ever. hacking is good if you want to get things done quickly but i also have no problem with hacked towns. it still takes a lot of effort to make your town look good and some people who hack can pull it off flawlessly

i also don't care about hacked items unless they're hybrids. i've been sold blue roses before that turned out to be hacked and they'd only produce white ones, i'm not going to point any fingers though because the person selling it might have not even known they were hacked in the first place.

Ohh that's why my blue pansies wouldn't sprout more. I bought four just to try and breed more of them and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. That explains it! Lol

I have no problem with hacking but I wouldn't do it to my own town. Hacking also lets rare items be easier to get for those that can't get them.

I don't really care about hacked items, as long as it's for personal use. I've had my boyfriend hack in some DLC or CT items for me, 'cause I really wanted those things for my houses, and I knew that I'd never be able to get those things on my own.

Now, hacked villagers I'm little iffy about. If they have the same home and everything and just only replace a different villager slot, then I think that's okay. But if the villager has another villager's home and catchphrase, then I'm not okay with it. In fact, I once got a hacked Apollo from a friend's void, and I was happy at first, 'cause he's one of my favorite cranky villagers. But then I saw that my friend had simply replaced him over Julian. Meaning, Apollo had Julian's home, clothes, and catchphrase. I was so mad and upset that day. Do you know how weird it is to hear a cranky eagle say "glitter" at the end of every sentence? It's very weird. I had to move him out, and now I'm hoping to cycle through some villagers so I can one day have a legit version of him in town...

Last edited:
I don't mind people hacking to achieve their dream towns and whatnot. I don't hack myself but maybe eventually I'll teach myself considering how accessible it is. But for now, I am content with how it is now. Though, the whole move things where you want it is very tempting. Built a house in the wrong spot? Hack 'n move it! Police station spot not doing it for you anymore? Move it! Too many villagers love plotting right on top of the poor town hall? Move 'em. I've seen some pretty hacked dream towns.

As for hacked items/villagers. It would be nice if the trader/seller would warn beforehand that is hacked, not everyone wants hacked stuff in their town. I know it's difficult to tell but I know a lot of foreign dlcs are hard to obtain, especially those non-orderables.

I don't hack, and have no desire to, but I have no problem with people who do. In fact, I've recieved villagers and hacked items from other players. Hackers have made the game more enjoyable for me. I wouldn't have gotten some of the unorderable items ( that I needed to create a room) without the help from hackers. So, I guess I'm really no different than they are. They hack, I buy the hacked items.

Yeah I agree with this. I wouldn't hack my own town but I don't mind that others do and I have knowingly accepted hacked items and villagers. However, I rather visit non-hacked dream towns unless it's subtly executed and not overdone... mainly because I like to be inspired by dream towns and I hate how I can't place things where I want to like hackers do so it doesn't really benefit me :'D Some hacked towns are just so claustrophobic to navigate too.

Personally would not mind this at all.
Items that are obtained by "hacking" would actually help many,
allowing for items that are unobtainable to be received.

As for town hacking... guess it can be debatable.
However, I always wanted to change my Town Fruit to Cherry.

Many can hack and let their creativity flow in with their town, along with changing things like these that trouble them.

Last edited:
i find them annoying - i try so hard to make my town look nice, keep villagers in town, plot reset them to the exact right positions, go to the garden shop everyday, grow hybrids etc and someone can skip those months of work for a few days

you don't have to like hackers but you realize that not all people can afford to put that much effort into this game? it's possible they might have at some point, but life gets busy and not everyone has the patience to play day by day on top of their busy schedule. personally i played nearly 3 years collecting things day by day (with buying items from the forums from time to time and TTing involved) and then decided to hack just because it's a new way of experiencing the game and i most likely would've dropped the game otherwise. anyway, you still have your right to feel however you want, but maybe the manner by which you play should be left to each, individual player to decide.

I don't hack. i've considered it- just for decorating my town, but I haven't bothered to actually look into how to do it. i love visiting hacked tows (as long as its well done). seeing people sell hacked villagers and items doesnt make me feel all too good+ruins economy->ruins the fun of obtaining items (at least for me).

though i've been playing acnl on and off for so long now i don't think i'd care to actually go out of my way to earn the items myself anymore because it just takes too long...

I'm completely AGAINST hacking
Dealing with hackers could corrupt your game!!
that's like my biggest fear lol

Last edited:
Hacking for profit is pretty shifty, like I've bought "saved" villagers before for really top tbt prices and I didn't know enough to know at the time but if I had I wouldn't have bought them, like if he had TOLD me they were hacked I wouldn't have bought them, but he sought be out every time I posted in the Looking For board so I bought them. =[ Sucks that I paid all that TBT to him. I mean it's all fine if you hack and hack towns are so nice, but it's kind of rude to sell off hacked items and get all this profit from cheating, I mean sure if you hack and sell the things in game to Re-Tail to get a ton of IGB for yourself go for it, but I don't like that people are using it to get rich on here unfairly. So I mean hacked items/villagers, for me are a no, but hacked towns for aesthetic purposes can be really nice.

I am very against it as a former hacker I used to back my LGTTC town &it was the biggest mistake I'd ever made - mainly because I decided I wanted to play the game right but then it was too late & I've already restarted my town but I've been too ingrossed in NL to play it now. When I do go on LGTTC I get really sad that I screwed up my original town that I've had since the game came out. :(

Back