• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

opinion on political correctness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what that means, though. It's different when you're not part of the group.

"Omg I'm not racist/homophobic/ableist for saying a racist/homophobic/ableist joke as a white, straight, able lady! I have black/gay/disabled friends!"

giphy.gif

I personally think that if a slur is not to be used by anyone outside of the group it is attacking, it shouldn't be used at all, period.

I don't like it at all. I believe that, at least, the modern definition of being "PC" is a limit of one's own free speech in

the fact that "people should be treated with respect" is apparently a thing up for debate showcases a complete failure of American society

I mean, alongside like probably a billion other things as well

Freedom of speech is our #1 right and that should be protected. Yeah everyone should be polite but it's important to allow people to be allowed to say jerk things if they want.

Like I said before - teach manners, dont force it.

Last edited:
I personally think that if a slur is not to be used by anyone outside of the group it is attacking, it shouldn't be used at all, period.

I agree. I don't agree with using slurs at all, or reclaiming them. I don't want to be called an f-word at all, why would I want to be called that word by my peers??

The world will never be perfect. Sensitivity to a simple joke will kill us all.

jokes have repercussions. they don't exist in a vacuum separate from the rest of societal culture. also, if your entire "joke" is just something demeaning, then it's both not a good joke in the first place and just serves to further confirm humanity's preestablished ****tiness

I agree. I don't agree with using slurs at all, or reclaiming them. I don't want to be called an f-word at all, why would I want to be called that word by my peers??

A-freaking-men!

If that slur is so offensive to you, then why are you treating it like it's a cute inside joke among your friends? I don't see how that makes sense.

The most popular example I can think of is the N word where apparently it's okay for black people to say it (and apparently it's treated as a positive thing) but no other group. Like what?

jokes have repercussions. they don't exist in a vacuum separate from the rest of societal culture. also, if your entire "joke" is just something demeaning, then it's both not a good joke in the first place and just serves to further confirm humanity's preestablished ****tiness

aw man, they don't? :(

I believe that if you're gonna tell a joke, don't run away and hide behind the Victim Card™.

That's exactly what that means, though. It's different when you're not part of the group.

"Omg I'm not racist/homophobic/ableist for saying a racist/homophobic/ableist joke as a white, straight, able lady! I have black/gay/disabled friends!"

giphy.gif

I don't think you understand the difference between a race / gender / sexuality / whatever based joke and racist / sexist / homophobic statements. Like if I say "Asians are bad drivers", it may or may not be funny but it's not really malicious or demonizing. If I say "Muslims are terrorists", then that crosses the line because it demonizes them. It is okay for people to poke fun at other people as long as it's not malicious. That's part of human nature, and the reason why people hate the term "political correctness" is because being politically correct basically forces us to go against our human nature and basically program ourselves into robots because of people who can't take a gentle ribbing.

Freedom of speech is our #1 right and that should be protected. Yeah everyone should be polite but it's important to allow people to be allowed to say jerk things if they want.

Like I said before - teach manners, dont force it.

the american concept of free of speech is absolute bull**** too now, imo

not because free speech itself is actually bad, but because of how much it's now just used by people to justify their hateful ideologies, while simultaneously and hypocritically attempting to shut down the speech of others they demean

Last edited:
People need to remember that a joke is not a statement. A joke isn't reality. We make fun of stereotypes because they are often very ridiculous and sometimes even generally true, that we might be able to relate with, and it's funny. So there's a difference between saying a joke that the punchline is the woman making a sandwich (etc), and a person seriously saying, "Women shouldn't work, they should stay at home and make a man his food." I'm an Asian and people make jokes about Asians being Gods at math, terrible drivers, having very strict parents, etc. Do I get offended? Absolutely not. In fact, I make fun of that stuff too. Who cares. As long as they aren't calling me derogatory terms or actually have those stereotypical opinions of me. It's all in good jest. There are of course, truly racist jokes, but it is usually due to whether or not the person telling the joke actually believes in that stereotype, which in turn makes it a statement masquerading as a joke.

I don't think you understand the difference between a race / gender / sexuality / whatever based joke and racist / sexist / homophobic statements. Like if I say "Asians are bad drivers", it may or may not be funny but it's not really malicious or demonizing. If I say "Muslims are terrorists", then that crosses the line because it demonizes them. It is okay for people to poke fun at other people as long as it's not malicious. That's part of human nature, and the reason why people hate the term "political correctness" is because being politically correct basically forces us to go against our human nature and basically program ourselves into robots because of people who can't take a gentle ribbing.

Yes, there's also a difference between saying something to try and be funny and saying something with malicious intent and trying to degrade that race/gender/sexuality

reclaiming slurs is good imo. like, not always but often. like w queer. i hate that people try to make ppl dtop using it because it is a Big Bad Slur like ??? it used to be sure but the lgbtq community has worked rly hard to reclaim it and make it into a word for us. it's ok if youre lgbtq and dont want to call urself queer but i think it is overly sensitive and giving in to the oppressors to see it as a slur again

reclaiming slurs is good imo. like, not always but often. like w queer. i hate that people try to make ppl dtop using it because it is a Big Bad Slur like ??? it used to be sure but the lgbtq community has worked rly hard to reclaim it and make it into a word for us. it's ok if youre lgbtq and dont want to call urself queer but i think it is overly sensitive and giving in to the oppressors to see it as a slur again

I'm all for changing the meaning of slurs too as long as everyone, no matter what race/gender/etc you are, can use it too.

double post, RIP

Last edited:
Yes, there's also a difference between saying something to try and be funny and saying something with malicious intent and trying to degrade that race/gender/sexuality

true. i think that it really depends on the situation if a joke is ok or suiteable or whatever. if the joke is said to be mean or the funny thing is just "this thing is offensive and i think it is funny to make people sad" thats not cool. but if you say stuff like "oh you couldnt tell im (gay/mentally ill/autistic/whatever) from looking at me?" as a joke isnt offensive in the same way bc it isnt meant to hurt people and it is mockign the stereotypes and not individials. idk if u get what i mean but hhhh

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm all for changing the meaning of slurs too as long as everyone, no matter what race/gender/etc you are, can use it too.

thing is tho that some words are still used as slurs by those people. like w the n word is still used as a racist thing. some people are fine w anyon saying it but soem people arent. im not black so i cant rly say much about it, but i feel like it really makes sense that it is a very sensitive (like idk what to call it but Yhhh u know ppl have lots of feelings abt it) word. it still isnt a neutral word u know?
i think it depends on the slur tho. like i personally think everyone should use the word queer to describe lgbtq ppl. thats just me tho and i guess there are people who dont agree with me.
like, i think that once a slur is "fully reclaimed" or whatever i should call it it's just a regular word. but until thatas happened i think it is totally understandable that people get upset when non black people use the n word

I don't really like it, and many people definitely take it too far. I don't necessarily like offending people but it should not affect jokes and comedy. That's a big reason why the new version of MADtv has been pretty disappointing.

It's used as an excuse for special little snowflakes to fly into an entitled rage and feel morally superior. IMO it has a place but has been taken way too far by certain groups. If somebody holds unconventional/politically incorrect views on race, sex, etc. I'll still respect their right to say it even if I personally disagree with said views. You can spend your entire life getting outraged by every little, asinine thing and it will solve nothing.

true. i think that it really depends on the situation if a joke is ok or suiteable or whatever. if the joke is said to be mean or the funny thing is just "this thing is offensive and i think it is funny to make people sad" thats not cool. but if you say stuff like "oh you couldnt tell im (gay/mentally ill/autistic/whatever) from looking at me?" as a joke isnt offensive in the same way bc it isnt meant to hurt people and it is mockign the stereotypes and not individials. idk if u get what i mean but hhhh

- - - Post Merge - - -

thing is tho that some words are still used as slurs by those people. like w the n word is still used as a racist thing. some people are fine w anyon saying it but soem people arent. im not black so i cant rly say much about it, but i feel like it really makes sense that it is a very sensitive (like idk what to call it but Yhhh u know ppl have lots of feelings abt it) word. it still isnt a neutral word u know?
i think it depends on the slur tho. like i personally think everyone should use the word queer to describe lgbtq ppl. thats just me tho and i guess there are people who dont agree with me.
like, i think that once a slur is "fully reclaimed" or whatever i should call it it's just a regular word. but until thatas happened i think it is totally understandable that people get upset when non black people use the n word

You're 100% correct. Until the word is completely regular, people may have mixed feelings about it. It just confuses me when a black person tells anyone who isn't black that they can't say the N word but they're somehow okay with black people saying it to them. It kinda sends a confusing message to whether or not the word is considered bad or good.

Queer is basically not a slur anymore from what I've seen which is good.

You're 100% correct. Until the word is completely regular, people may have mixed feelings about it. It just confuses me when a black person tells anyone who isn't black that they can't say the N word but they're somehow okay with black people saying it to them. It kinda sends a confusing message to whether or not the word is considered bad or good.

Queer is basically not a slur anymore from what I've seen which is good.

I think that's because usually, when a black person is called the N word by another race, it is usually in a derogatory manner. So the original use of the word has not yet died, and is still racist. But when black people use it around each other, they usually do use it casually, in a friendly manner, so they trust each other to use the word in the way they're okay with. Other people are not trusted to do the same. It makes sense to me, and I can't really say much against it because what do I know about that stuff. It's almost the same way I feel to being called a chink. It's never been used by another race in a friendly way, and only when people have been racist towards me, so I would not be okay with others just throwing that word around. But I'm not going to cry about it if it happens either, which it has, many times.

in my honest opinion, political correctness went from being respectful and sensible towards others to just wanting to be a victim and willing to do almost anything to be one.

i'll just leave it at that, if you disagree with my statement then i guess im sorry but i will not argue over it.

Last edited:

I hate the world queer. I don't mind people using it, but in my head I always link it to BuzzFeed and SJWs for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back