opinion on political correctness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose people just think it's easier to be offended by something than to put on their big boy boots and live with it.

Oh wait, I said "boy". Does that make me a sexist jerk?

Absolutely not. Common everyday language should not get you in trouble. Except for cuss words, slurs, stereotypes, you know. But you're right, in this time and age, people are getting so offended at anything. There's no word that everybody can agree on without being offended. But let me tell you this. Now it has gotten to a so dangerous level that it's leading to a lot of rebellion. The worse it gets, the more people would rebel against it. I would rebel if it gets worse, but I wouldn't get extreme about it.

If you want to know why the word "dinosaur" was banned on the NYC standardized testing, they did it because it was a subtle reference to evolution.

They can't ban the word dinosaur! We have hard evidence like fossilized remains and documentaries such as Jurassic Park which factually proves they existed!

But oh no, here come the ney sayers, marching with their fingers in their ears to the battle cry of "lalalalalalaIcan'thearyoulalalalalala"!

I suppose people just think it's easier to be offended by something than to put on their big boy boots and live with it.

Oh wait, I said "boy". Does that make me a sexist jerk?

Ey, why does it have to be big 'boy' boots? Are you implying that girls can't wear big boots? Are you giving boots a gender!? Are you saying women belong in the kitchen!?

Well, it's clear now what the spinning N in your avatar means...It means NAZI!!!!

"All hail the mighty Nazi 64"!? "Get Nazi or get out"!? I'm so offended right now!

Last edited:
They can't ban the word dinosaur! We have hard evidence like fossilized remains and documentaries such as Jurassic Park which factually proves they existed!

But oh no, here come the ney sayers, marching with their fingers in their ears to the battle cry of "lalalalalalaIcan'thearyoulalalalalala"!

Ey, why does it have to be big 'boy' boots? Are you implying that girls can't wear big boots? Are you giving boots a gender!? Are you saying women belong in the kitchen!?

Well, it's clear now what the spinning N in your avatar means...It means NAZI!!!!

"All hail the mighty Nazi 64"!? "Get Nazi or get out"!? I'm so offended right now!

This thread has gotten way outta hand.

Honestly after how hostile and depressing this thread gets it's about damn time that someone joke around a bit...Picks up the mood a bit, if you ask me. Having stuff like that sprinkled here and there makes me just a bit less annoyed when I see these discussions became arguments, resulting in nobody being happy.

Last edited:

I was gonna make a serious post in this thread but yeah I see it's not worth it

Honestly after how depressing this thread gets it's about damn time that someone joke around a bit...Picks up the mood a bit, if you ask me. Having stuff like that sprinkled here and there makes me just a bit less annoyed when I see these discussions became arguments, resulting in nobody being happy.

IMO it's more depressing when threads get to this state. You can pick up the mood without resorting to... whatever that was.

I was gonna make a serious post in this thread but yeah I see it's not worth it

IMO it's more depressing when threads get to this state. You can pick up the mood without resorting to... whatever that was.

I mean, if it gets out of hand, and everyone's starting to make fun of it then it's just ridiculous, the point of the discussion is just lost. I guess I just meant in a more lighthearted general sense of the word, I think these kinds of debates shouldn't get overly hostile or overly...trollish? Is that the word? Not sure. I agree that there's better ways to make the thread better.

EDIT-What Tao did was fine. Honestly this thread needed something like that after how toxic it's gotten.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Common everyday language should not get you in trouble. Except for cuss words, slurs, stereotypes, you know. But you're right, in this time and age, people are getting so offended at anything. There's no word that everybody can agree on without being offended. But let me tell you this. Now it has gotten to a so dangerous level that it's leading to a lot of rebellion. The worse it gets, the more people would rebel against it. I would rebel if it gets worse, but I wouldn't get extreme about it.

There is literally no word that is not a curse word or a slur that offends me in any way. There is *context* that words can be used in that can upset me (mostly when used to trivialise/mock the feeling and thoughts of someone as this is just rude), or that I could - loosely - find "offensive", as per the dictionary meaning (ignoring the ones relating to law and sport!) :

offence - noun (UPSET FEELINGS) :

upset and hurt or annoyed feelings, often because someone has been rude or shown no respect:
"I really didn't mean (to cause/give) any offence (= did not intend to upset anyone) - I was just stating my opinion."
"Do you think he took offence (= was upset) at what I said about his hair?"
informal "If you don't mind, I'd rather go on my own - no offence (intended), but I think it would be better."

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/offence

Offence =/= bad in and of itself. It's a reaction. It just is. It may be a "fair" one to have to a reasonable person depending on the situation ("joking" about rape particularly of children is generally considered inappropriate). Or it might be utterly unreasonable. That's the thing about reactions - they *happen*. A feeling of revulsion caused by what someone has said (and how they said it, as tone and context make all the difference) is not something you or anyone can actually PREVENT from happening - within yourself or anyone else. What you do about it, however, is entirely up to you within the limits of your circumstances.

I cannot stand hearing/seeing/reading people mock children. It is deeply offensive to me as I believe such belittling behavior contributes to the way society - generally - treats children - as nuisances to be controlled, placated, and ignored. None of which helps grow children into responsible, caring, resilient, contributing members of society - which is what any rational adult would agree is better than having irresponsible, uncaring, fragile, non-contributing members of society, surely?

I wasn't raised to be fragile or to think my needs and wishes trumped those of others. Equally true is that I was raised to stand my ground, understand other perspectives, listen to people, and try to communicate effectively. Why so many people seem unable to do the same is something that continues to bother me, particularly when I consider the implications of these people being/becoming parents. But I'm only responsible for me (when not at work), and all I can do is keep trying to improve myself and work towards improved outcomes for my community and the world in general.

How bizarre. I found a source here https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...0/gIQANuqJkS_blog.html?utm_term=.bf2204f11bc0 and that is just a ludicrous set of words and even more confusing reasons given.

I'm not sure how much has really changed regarding "political correctness" between 2012 and now. In five years a lot has changed but **** like this has been happening for as long as people have had the capacity to dictate what other's may do. As one of the comments below the article explains, they were subjected to a ridiculous level of "censorship for their own good" in the US in the 1950s.

I am completely against standardised testing as an educator. The bureaucratic processes involved almost universally limit the input and knowledge of actual teachers and best practices (which are drawn from sound scientific knowledge and research) in favour of ... whatever the relevant committee (frequently an appointed board with sub-par levels of knowledge in the education field) *thinks* is important, whilst simultaneously awarding huge contracts to "education" businesses that make billions of the fatally flawed "testing culture" that thrives despite the appalling lack of ROI (return on investment).

No teacher I know would support a censorship list like this. A list of words to be used with caution in the classroom, yes. But barring profanity and actual "hate speech", all words should be allowed in the classroom depending on age and developmental stage. As they generally are in my part of the world.

Perhaps the issue is less to do with so-called political correctness than it is to do with sub-par planning and oversight going into education in this instance?

You know, even if I don't like standardized testing/benchmark tests, I agree banning words like these is stupid, especially for the reasons given. It clearly shows that liberals (not all liberals though) want to destroy our education system. They want to get rid of math or at least dumb down math because of how kids these days find it too hard. Then they want to attack social studies and language arts by censoring words and topics people get offended by. If you censor words and subjects like that, students are not gonna get a good education. And if they want to live successful lives and make good money, they have to get a good education. But nope, it's now all about satisfying emotional needs than doing what's best for students. This is why homeschooling became more common, and why schools are failing.

While education is being under attack, holidays (or at least select holidays) are also under attack. Let's forget about Columbus Day for a second, but holidays like Christmas and Easter are under attack in schools and public spaces because of religious relations. Thanksgiving had some religious relations as well. And then Halloween started to be under attack. Why is Halloween being attacked when it's not related to Christianity? The reason: the "cultural appropriation" nonsense. Halloween is a time where you can dress up like anything you want, as long as you're not being offensive about it. But people on Tumblr find it to be offensive to dress up like any culture that's not yours, whether or not you're doing it in a respectful manner. If people can't tolerate Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgivings for having religious relations and Halloween because of some of the costumes, what's next? Maybe 4th of July, April Fool's, and even New Year's may go next if we keep going down this path.

• 4th of July might be under attack, not because of the concern of fireworks, but because of what we're really celebrating. After the national anthem protest in 2016, I think some people would not want to celebrate anything American anymore due to our history of racism (or at least because of controversies in recent times).
  • April Fool's might be under attack because in a time and age where people get easily offended at everything, they would no longer take a joke and think everything on April Fool's is serious.
  • As for New Year's Day, not everybody celebrates a new year on January 1st. Most do, but not all.

I may not know if any of this will come true, but this is a careful analysis I thought of judging by recent times. But don't worry, many people still celebrate these holidays without making a fuss, as only a small minority would not celebrate these holidays for certain reasons.

Thank you for making my day.

And yes, the N in my avatar definitely means Nazi ^^ you figured me out

Yea, how dare I lace my opinions and observations with humor...And false Nazi accusations.

Allow me to rephrase that post for you:

It's unreasonable that they would ban the word dinosaur. The hard evidence is there to factually prove the existence of dinosaurs, such as the many fossils discovered which date back to the era in which they would have existed, not to mention serving as hard evidence directly strengthening the theory of evolution. There even exist many documentaries compiling much research and evidence compiled so that anybody may learn of this genuine history that factually happened.

It is disheartening that the word be entirely dismissed in any form simply because it doesn't fall into the belief system of any particular group, especially when that same group is unable to provide any real evidence to prove it incorrect. That a group of people can successfully censor something to any degree that factually existed simply by making enough fuss is an example of how low we are willing to sink in order to prevent somebodies feelings from being hurt.

Excuse me, xSuperMario64x, but I do not find any amusement what so ever in your mild attempt to antagonize people through your insinuation that the phrase 'big boy boots' is inherently sexist merely from the word 'boy' being included. I do believe you were looking for a response, and I am very very displeased. I'm shaking my head in disapproval, sir, much disapproval indeed.

I suggest you go to your room and think about what you've done.

Happy? Did the removal of any potential humor make the exact same point any more valid for you?

Lighten up, you'll live longer.

Yea, how dare I lace my opinions and observations with humor...And false Nazi accusations.

Happy? Did the removal of any potential humor make the exact same point any more valid for you?

THAT'S MA'AM TO YOU BOI

WHAT YOU TALKIN BOUT

You've done something truly amazing. You've given light to this thread. I thank you for that...It's really a sight for sore eyes to see someone being humorous. Like I said, it needed it after how hellishly toxic this place got.

Last edited:
Guess we're done with the actual conversation then. I would have thought we had more than enough "humourous" threads here that we could spare a few for discussion, but I guess the quota is allocated now to the marijuana and cosmetic surgery threads.

Have fun guys :)

Guess we're done with the actual conversation then. I would have thought we had more than enough "humourous" threads here that we could spare a few for discussion, but I guess the quota is allocated now to the marijuana and cosmetic surgery threads.

Have fun guys :)

To be honest it's better off this conversation, at least from what I've seen of it die off. It's almost nothing but hateful at this point. We've got more civilized discussions now and that way it'll be less bitter. Thank goodness, I really didn't want to see this get even uglier. :/

Good lord.

xSuperMario64x Nazi confirmed? Clearly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't actually know what happened here but I'm liking it.

Good lord.

xSuperMario64x Nazi confirmed? Clearly.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't actually know what happened here but I'm liking it.

Yeah, me too. It's as if this thread went from something dark, depressing, and toxic to something...Magical~<3

TLDR most of the thread, but...

When you say something people have a right to be offended at it, as much of a right as you do to say whatever it was. What you say can have real world consequences. You can be fired for things you say, as that is your employer's right to distance themselves from your own statements. What you say can definitely come back to haunt you if you ever become famous or a politician.
You have the freedom to say whatever you want but you are not free from the consequences of other's freedom. Your freedom is no more absolute than their's.
You can choose to dedicate your life to solving world hunger and curing poverty in third world countries, or you can choose to systematically set fire to every orphan in a 10 mile radius, but I am pretty people will try to stop and hurt you for one of those 2 things. Certainly an extreme case, but the point is people react to what you say and do and you have no more control over what they say and do than you do over what you say and do. In my mind always better to make more friends than enemies, but whatevs. The issue is when a culture agrees it is socially acceptable to denegrate an entire group of people usually it ends badly for that group so of course they are going to largely rebel against that.

I'm too tired for this why did I even try to start.

Jokes about Nazis, so magical.

When you say something people have a right to be offended at it, as much of a right as you do to say whatever it was. What you say can have real world consequences. You can be fired for things you say, as that is your employer's right to distance themselves from your own statements. What you say can definitely come back to haunt you if you ever become famous or a politician.
You have the freedom to say whatever you want but you are not free from the consequences of other's freedom. Your freedom is no more absolute than their's.
You can choose to dedicate your life to solving world hunger and curing poverty in third world countries, or you can choose to systematically set fire to every orphan in a 10 mile radius, but I am pretty people will try to stop and hurt you for one of those 2 things. Certainly an extreme case, but the point is people react to what you say and do and you have no more control over what they say and do than you do over what you say and do. In my mind always better to make more friends than enemies, but whatevs. The issue is when a culture agrees it is socially acceptable to denegrate an entire group of people usually it ends badly for that group so of course they are going to largely rebel against that.

This is essentially what I wanted to say but you put it way better than I ever could. Bless.

Yeah, I've gotta agree with this...I mean, shoot, everything people do is going to have it's benefits and consequences. I just go by the idea to just be a nice person. Not to be disrespectful to others generally, etc. Nothing wrong with having respect for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back