• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

opinion on political correctness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've gotta agree with this...I mean, shoot, everything people do is going to have it's benefits and consequences. I just go by the idea to just be a nice person. Not to be disrespectful to others generally, etc. Nothing wrong with having respect for others.

Same here. I'm a bit confused by how you see this thread has having had so much hatred and bitterness - from my perspective I haven't seen much of that at all and it has been a great opportunity to see how different people around the world perceive "political correctness".

I also appreciated Apple2012's reference to words being banned from NYC standardised testing, particularly, since education is both my profession and my passion.

:)

Same here. I'm a bit confused by how you see this thread has having had so much hatred and bitterness - from my perspective I haven't seen much of that at all and it has been a great opportunity to see how different people around the world perceive "political correctness".

I also appreciated Apple2012's reference to words being banned from NYC standardised testing, particularly, since education is both my profession and my passion.

Well, I was exaggerating a bit there. I'll admit that for sure. I do think eventually this thread got a bit bitter between people, around the time I dropped out of it. I'm sorry about that. :/ I do think seeing people's opinions on what political correctness is quite interesting myself, but...I don't know. This was just a discussion I didn't want to take part in after a little while. Maybe it got better over time, I wouldn't personally know. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as I said it was..

I got an infraction for this thread. Obviously it got heated I did nothing wrong for a bit.

One thing is stating your opinion on things and its a whole other thing to start taking it to a ridiculous level.

This thread has gone beyond that. Not even interesting to read up anymore.

I got an infraction for this thread. Obviously it got heated I did nothing wrong for a bit.

That so, eh? I thought something was up with this thread after I ditched it...Maybe it got better...Who knows, it seems like a mix of frustration with bits of information and discussion in it. Who knows, I'm too tired to look.

I thought political correctedness was about how to cloud words more to bring less offense or to remove the chance of triggering (yes, I used this word appropriately) a memory or thought. I didn't know it was all these things mentioned in the thread. I would know, I worked in a lot of spaces where social justice and political correctedness was mentioned. I just think politcal correctedness needs to have its limits. You can't grow if you have everything blurred out for you. Not everything or everyone intends to hurt you. If it is, it's a different story, and you should have the feeling to be hurt by whatever's intended to hurt you.

Last edited:
I thought political correctedness was about how to cloud words more to bring less offense or to remove the chance of triggering (yes, I used this word appropriately) a memory or thought. I didn't know it was all these things mentioned in the thread. I would know, I worked in a lot of spaces where social justice and political correctedness was mentioned. I just think politcal correctedness needs to have its limits. You can't grow if you have everything blurred out for you. Not everything or everyone intends to hurt to you. If it is, it's a different story, and you should have the feeling to be hurt by whatever's intended to hurt you.

Well, I mean it's a very hard term to define when you think about it. People have their different takes on it. If you want my opinion id say your views of what it is are just as valid as another's definition of it.

But, yeah, I agree here...I mean, it's also a huge issue i have with censorship. I think it does blur a lot of things from people much like if someone took political correctness too far and shut out people's opinions. Am I saying this was its goal, no. I do think some people can and have taken it to a level where it's trying, maybe not intentionally, to shut out people having their own opinions because it's not in line with a crowd of people. Like i said this may not be the aim of it, but my basic take on this whole thing is, think what you want, say what you want, joke about what you want, as long as you're a respectful person. If you can just be a nice person to others then i dont see the issue of making a few raunchy jokes in the right context. And by right context i mean somewhere where making these jokes aren't aimed specifically at a person, i.e. calling a fat guy fat and making fun of him for it if he's not laughing with them. Hell l joke about my dyslexia all the time. And I mean, nobody is insulting me if we make a joke about it. I'm laughing right with them..Yes, there are times when it's wrong. I'm not denying that. There are times when a joke isn't right or saying something about so and so isn't right. .My point is, as I've stated many times, just have respect. There's a right time for everything. Now do i think racist views are right? Sexist, and other biases are right? No, but I'm not going to kill you over it. I'd gladly discuss it and see if i can teach you anything on my side of the argument but i can't force anything upon someone.

Idk if i made my point, I'm tired and im on my.phone , this keyboard sucks so sorry if I'm a little wonky wobbly in my speech.

I didn't see this thread til at least a day after it started, and my first post here was # 105. Things had certainly gotten heated by then, I agree. I was very glad to see things settled down and some nice interesting discussion took place - from my perspective at least. (I have to say that receiving an infraction =/= a "heated" thread let alone confirm there's much hatred and bitterness occuring.. it just means something you posted broke one or more forum rules. I understand what you're saying, I just wanted to make that clarification as I'm quite a literal and detail-oriented person.)

It's interesting how we can perceive the same events so very differently, and how much that perception colours our view of things.

Last edited:
One thing is stating your opinion on things and its a whole other thing to start taking it to a ridiculous level.

So immediately resorting to calling people

and

ableist ****

within the first 10 posts of a thread starting (more accurately, within 9 words insults were thrown) among with pretty much every '-ist' basically for not agreeing 100% with your belief isn't at all ridiculous, but when I refer to Jurassic Park as a documentary in what was otherwise an opinion mocking that we'll go as far as to censor factual things that historically happened to just appease peoples feelings if they complain enough is the written equivalent of a custard pie fight?

Or is it that I jokingly confirmed xSuperMario64x was a Nazi? Because that seems at least somewhat similar to immediately stating that basically anybody who didn't agree with you on the subject (political correctness) is a
...I'm not even sure what ****s is, sounds infectious, but I'm kinda finding it at least a little ironic that you're taking the stupid Nazi reply of mine so much to heart, yano, considering the way it was written was kind of mocking the people who deal with differing opinions and beliefs via hurling insults and labels around to defame those who don't agree with them...Yano, exactly like you did?

...Are you satire?

But, seeing as though I did a pretty good job tweeking my old post, I'll give yours a whirl:

One thing is stating your opinion on things, as long as it falls exactly in line with my opinion of things, otherwise you are a ****s and a ******, probably a ****** as well. Tao is also so awesome, like, super awesome, kind of like a T-rex, and I hope even a small amount of their awesome rubs off on me. They're also super hot and they're really super good at playing the drums

I don't play the drums, but thanks anyway.

But really, don't try to put yourself on a pedestal like you're above what I have to say because at best, you've proven to be just as bad as I am...At least I'm aware I'm no angel.

This thread has gone beyond that. Not even interesting to read up anymore.

Yet claiming anyone who isn't with the whole pc thing was automatically egotistical, throwing out tons of -isms, insults, and overgeneralizations wasnt ridiculous? I'm all against racism, sexism, etc. But I don't think starting a discussion with immediately spouting out generalizations and insults was the best way to attempt making your point.

...This thread's been ridiculous since it started, hon. I'm not saying you're the only culprit, because you aren't, but I'm just stating my opinion of the matter.

I'm too tired to be responding to this

Last edited:
So immediately resorting to calling people and within the first 10 posts of a thread starting (more accurately, within 9 words insults were thrown) among with pretty much every '-ist' basically for not agreeing 100% with your belief isn't at all ridiculous, but when I refer to Jurassic Park as a documentary in what was otherwise an opinion mocking that we'll go as far as to censor factual things that historically happened to just appease peoples feelings if they complain enough is the written equivalent of a custard pie fight?

But really, don't try to put yourself on a pedestal like you're above what I have to say because at best, you've proven to be just as bad as I am...At least I'm aware I'm no angel.

I received an infraction for cussing on my first post and it was edited by mods, so if you're looking back on it now, my post probably doesn't make sense anymore. But nowhere in my posts did I ever directly insult anyone on this thread. If you or anyone felt personally insulted by my opinion on this topic, then the arguments many people have been making on here about people being overly sensitive is pretty ironic. Hypocritical.

I'm not putting myself on a pedestal, nor do I think I'm above anyone for the opinions I have. However, I'm going to call bull when I see it. Sorry not sorry.

Ash Q. Scrumfleton said:
I'm all against racism, sexism, etc.

This thread's been ridiculous since it started, hon.

You sure about that, "hon"?

I received an infraction for cussing on my first post and it was edited by mods, so if you're looking back on it now, my post probably doesn't make sense anymore. But nowhere in my posts did I ever directly insult anyone on this thread. If you or anyone felt personally insulted by my opinion on this topic, then the arguments many people have been making on here about people being overly sensitive is pretty ironic. Hypocritical.

So, mods took out all (what I'll assume were) well thought reasoned opinions of the highest caliber and replaced it all with straight up insults? Okay...Seems unlikely but I'll roll with it.

And no, you didn't directly insult anybody specifically, just generalizations which would apply to anybody who didn't agree with you. There's not really a difference in the argument I was presenting. My point still stands no matter which way you side step on this.

And if I got personally offended every time somebody with opinions far different from my own spoke up, I would spend my days angry and alone. That isn't my issue, it's the "if you disagree with me, you're *some form of insult*" approach to conflict.

I'm not putting myself on a pedestal, nor do I think I'm above anyone for the opinions I have.
So declaring the thread over and that it's no longer of worth to you from a specific post isn't exactly that?

Unlike yourself who has declared leaving the thread twice now but is still here, I'm leaving it here, because it's a waste of time responding to somebody who just constantly moves the target around rather than be willing to take a well aimed hit once in a while.

I'm not putting myself on a pedestal, nor do I think I'm above anyone for the opinions I have. However, I'm going to call bull when I see it. Sorry not sorry.

You sure about that, "hon"?

Are you implying that im a bigot? Thats what i got out of it, sorry if im wrong. Because i think people are entitled to having their own opinion? You really need a lesson to what bigotry is. Never, through this whole thread have i said anything bigoted. And besides, it isn't like I'm trying to force you to change your opinion, I'm only trying to make my points. I don't give a damn who you are in terms of race, sex, etc. I judge people by their personality. Anyone can be a bad person, just as much as anyone can be a good person. I don't see the point of automatically calling everyone in a biased minority a good person. And I'm not denying prejudices either. They exist, and they're not something I agree with. It's hard to change people's opinions though, but I still think you can discuss with people about it. Forcing it isn't right though. It's a really hard thing to debate because prejudices aren't right but it'll be pretty damn hard to just stop it. Humans by nature group themselves. Now, people can try to discuss to build bridges, which i think we should try to bring people together. Basically I'm just saying its hard to stop prejudice but I think we should make an effort to go towards being more unified and cutting as many hateful acts as possible, such as violence against a certain race, sexual abuse, etc. None of that is right, obviously.

Also, continuing on the subject of my alleged "bigotry", think what you will, I really dont care, i just want to make my point here...but just know that I don't see how you could think it, just because I think that if political correctness limits the right to have free speech, the right to make a joke, etc, it's wrong. Be respectful, try to cut down hate, but don't create a society of people who can't think differently. As I've said before, just be respectful to others and you're good to go. Like i said, I don't agree with hate but i don't agree with shutting out people's voices either, even if i don't agree with them.

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm seeing the "heated" thing. *sigh*

Sorry I missed it before. I had read the thread but things can look very different when you're observing than they do when you're participating. I should have thought more about that context when reading back.

I feel like people need to realize the difference between when something is directed at them and when they aren't. I feel that these people somehow think that other people care about them so much as to constantly direct something at them. If they wouldn't take things so personally, then we wouldn't have this problem. They need to learn when to laugh it off. If anything, it'll help them too since they won't constantly be upset and stressed.

I feel like people need to realize the difference between when something is directed at them and when they aren't. I feel that these people somehow think that other people care about them so much as to constantly direct something at them. If they wouldn't take things so personally, then we wouldn't have this problem. They need to learn when to laugh it off. If anything, it'll help them too since they won't constantly be upset and stressed.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people with that trait. It's really not healthy for anyone..I used to be that way back in middle school. Looking back I feel like I'm a lot happier I don't let things get tp me as much.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people with that trait. It's really not healthy for anyone..I used to be that way back in middle school. Looking back I feel like I'm a lot happier I don't let things get tp me as much.

Mhm! There's a difference between standing up for someone or yourself (I'm all for this!) and just getting rattled over every single thing. Usually the people who you call out for doing something minimal don't actually care about your opinion (since the topic is so unimportant) so in the end, you only lose if you choose to get all uptight.

I wanted to add to this to say that the PC culture has turned not only into everything is a personal slight, but also a lot of PC/SJWs get offended for other people . I'm all for defending a friend who you know hates certain jokes, but a lot of SJWs assume offense for someone they don't even know.

White Knights defending female gamers is a great example. I have a lot of guy friends and we make a lot of sexist jokes. I think it's funny and its never a problem when it's just my group talking. But if we need to use in-game chat the Knights come out of the woodwork getting all upset and crazy being offended on my behalf and get even more crazy defensive of me when I tell them to chill because I'm cool with the jokes. And when I make sexism jokes against myself their brain breaks or something and they shut up. It's just weird.

*edited some spelling

Last edited:
I wanted to add to this to say that the PC culture has turned not only into everything is a personal slight, but also a lot of PC/SJWs get offended for other people . I'm all for defending a friend who you know hates certain jokes, but a lot of SJWs assume offense for someone they don't even know.

White Knights defending female gamers is a great example. I have a lot of guy friends and we make a lot of sexist jokes. I think it's funny and its never a problem when it's just my group talking. But if we need to use in-game chat the Knights come out of the woodwork getting all upset and crazy being offended on my behalf and get even more crazy defensive of me when I tell them to chill because I'm cool with the jokes. And when I make sexism jokes against myself their brain breaks or something and they shut up. It's just weird.

*edited some spelling

Ahh! You're totally right!

I remember when Avril Lavigne's Hello Kitty song got a lot of hate by non Japanese people about how she was being rude towards the culture, meanwhile from what I read, no Japanese people were offended but instead were happy their culture was being spread around the world.

*edited some spelling

Yeah, that was always an anomaly to me, getting offended for others. I mean, like you said, defending friends who are hurt is right. That's just a good thing to do. But...Really when people start getting mad for something that you or a group of people are doing that's not hurting anyone, it just makes me question "why?" I never understand it, there's no need to get mad on someone's behalf if they're obviously not mad about it. That's just kind of intrusive when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back