• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

"Why do autistic people really love manga?" - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know if it's a "sign" that someone is autistic or not?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you very much!

It's not a "sign" per se, people can have obsessions with things and not be autistic and autistic people don't have to be obsessed with something to be autistic. But it's one of the behaviours that is commonly seen in people with ASDs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

ive been involved wth the autism community since 2012 and it has always been a rly well known thing that ppl talk about. im more confused avout autistic people not having heard the word, are they involved iin any autism related stuff?

I regularly go to autism support group '''meets''' (it's basically group counselling tbh) and every one I've been to, we try not to use the word 'special' at all because it's normally quite negative.

Last edited:
How do you know if it's a "sign" that someone is autistic or not?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you very much!

it's about more than special interests. iirc hyperfixations or intense interests are a part of other diagnoses too but yyhhh. when allistic kids might read a book and rly like it they usually don't get as into it as an autistic kid with the book as a special interest. when i was younger my special interest was the hunger games. i knew Everythign about the series. i read the books 5 times, i watched the movie (only the first one was out when it was my special interest) so many times and watched all extra material etc. obviously there are ppl who arent autistic who get obsessed with stuff but autistic ppl seem to get it a lot more often bc of how our brains work and stuff

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's not a "sign" per se, people can have obsessions with things and not be autistic and autistic people don't have to be obsessed with something to be autistic. But it's one of the behaviours that is commonly seen in people with ASDs.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I regularly go to autism support group '''meets''' (it's basically group counselling tbh) and every one I've been to, we try not to use the word 'special' at all because it's normally quite negative.

hm teah i can see why. i just dont think the special in special interest is used in the same way as autistic ppl are called special for other things.

ive been involved wth the autism community since 2012 and it has always been a rly well known thing that ppl talk about. im more confused avout autistic people not having heard the word, are they involved iin any autism related stuff?

neither of them really communicate to other people with autism. my sister has therapy however i'm not sure if they go into depth about asperger's & my boyfriend doesn't have therapy. they know and i know what special interests are, we just didn't know there was a name for it. but again, i should've done a little research & i apologise

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back