• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

"Why do autistic people really love manga?" - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol ys theyre called special interests abt Everywhere in the autistic community lmao

- - - Post Merge - - -

lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

special interests that autistic prople have ??????? when you hear abt the autistic stereotype of a jid who loves trains yeah that fixation on trains is called a special interest just google it lmao

- - - Post Merge - - -

autistic isnt an offensive word

- - - Post Merge - - -

-_- it is literally called special interests

Calling it "special interests" is pretty offensive to me. This is the upcoming argument we've all been talking about lol

I think

a) It's not that big of deal if you're offended who tf cares
b) anime and manga are an escape from reality. Autistic people have difficulty interacting with others and or conveying thoughts. That's probably why the video says autistic people like anime and manga. It's a non stressful source of stimulation

also anime and manga is super broad and very popular so of course autistic people will like it. idk what the video says bc i havent watched it but ppl in this thread need to chillax

- - - Post Merge - - -

Calling it "special interests" is pretty offensive to me. This is the upcoming argument we've all been talking about lol

OHGGKHHMYYYY GOGGODDDDDDD autistic people have used it 4 so long just Pls .

- - - Post Merge - - -

also can people just Not assume im allistic bc im not lmao

also anime and manga is super broad and very popular so of course autistic people will like it. idk what the video says bc i havent watched it but ppl in this thread need to chillax

i:lemon:don't:lemon:think:lemon:you:lemon:have:lemon:the:lemon:right:lemon:to:lemon:generalise:lemon:people:lemon:on:lemon:the:lemon:autistic:lemon:spectrum:lemon:if:lemon:you're:lemon:not:lemon:autistic:lemon:yourself.

i:lemon:don't:lemon:think:lemon:you:lemon:have:lemon:the:lemon:right:lemon:to:lemon:generalise:lemon:people:lemon:on:lemon:the:lemon:autistic:lemon:spectrum:lemon:if:lemon:you're:lemon:not:lemon:autistic:lemon:yourself.

im autistic

- - - Post Merge - - -

anyways what i meant w the anime and manga being broad thing is that, like... there are so many pp lthat liek anime... there are a lot of people who are autistic.., there are a lot of autistic people who like anime. obviously.
sayign that "autistic people like anime" as a generalization is bad and stereotypical but at the same time it's not a lie to say that bc there are a lot of autistic people who love anime

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also Lol This Thread Sure Got Quiet ...

well, you got me there. should've searched it up but "special" sounded off to me.

well, you got me there. should've searched it up but "special" sounded off to me.

Me too. It still sounds like something that shouldn't be used to me, as someone who's on the spectrum myself I don't find it as something that's positive. I'll never use it, but You Learn Something New Everyday™

Me too. It still sounds like something that shouldn't be used to me, as someone who's on the spectrum myself I don't find it as something that's positive. I'll never use it, but You Learn Something New Everyday™

i'm not on the spectrum myself, but my twin sister and boyfriend both have asperger's. even they didn't know about this but oh well, everyone makes a little mistake

Last edited:

lol i guess it can be seen as something like calling ppl with mental idsabilities like autism "special" because disabled or autistic is a "bad" word. but idk i dont think it is related to that, it's just that autistic people often have rly intense interests that are different from allistics interests and they needed a word for it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I apologize for making the assumption that you weren't.

it's cool i just felt kinda Personally Attacked™ by a lot of ppl in the thread ):

Um , so ... Basically if an autist likes something its something unusual and special.

ok.

Last edited:
lol i guess it can be seen as something like calling ppl with mental idsabilities like autism "special" because disabled or autistic is a "bad" word. but idk i dont think it is related to that, it's just that autistic people often have rly intense interests that are different from allistics interests and they needed a word for it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

it's cool i just felt kinda Personally Attacked™ by a lot of ppl in the thread ):

Can you please explain what you mean by this or give me an example? Does it mean that they just get obsessed with something or is it something more?

Um , so ... Basically if an autist likes something its something unusual and special.

ok.

autistic ppl can have regular interests and special interests that are Super Intense. special interests are literally a part of the diagnosis criteria.

i'm not on the spectrum myself, but my twin sister and boyfriend both have asperger's. even they didn't know about this but oh well

I have mild Asperger's too and I had no idea this existed. It sounds a bit patronising to be called "special".

I have mild Asperger's too and I had no idea this existed. It sounds a bit patronising to be called "special".

I feel like when the word "special" is used in this way, it's generally a negative thing so I wouldn't like being called special in that sense either. I don't think anyone should be called that in that way.

Can you please explain what you mean by this or give me an example? Does it mean that they just get obsessed with something or is it something more?

It is basically just becoming obsessed or fixated with something, like remembering a bunch of facts about that thing, collecting them/things to do with them, ect.

Last edited:
It is basically just becoming obsessed with something, like remembering a bunch of facts about that thing, collecting them/things to do with them, ect.

How do you know if it's a "sign" that someone is autistic or not?

- - - Post Merge - - -

ya pretty mch
https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria

autism speaks as an organisation sucks but it is a credible source on facts about diagnosis of autism so yay

Thank you very much!

I'm not obsessed, but I like collecting cacti and I find flowers fascinating. However I just like them because of the a e s t h e t i c really, they also look really cute. I have four cacti atm, an orange tree and miniature red roses.

i'm not on the spectrum myself, but my twin sister and boyfriend both have asperger's. even they didn't know about this but oh well, everyone makes a little mistake

ive been involved wth the autism community since 2012 and it has always been a rly well known thing that ppl talk about. im more confused avout autistic people not having heard the word, are they involved iin any autism related stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back