• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Plot Reset Failing...?

dusklux

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So I recently started a new town on an old cartridge for NL that I found. Decided that anyone new who moves in, I'll pop the time on the next day to 5:55am and hop on a new guy to find plots and put 'em where I want, right?
Well, so far, every time I've done this, I haven't found any new plots on the dummy character, then once I go onto my mayor there's suddenly a plot in town. No matter what, even if I run around checking literally everywhere and know that I didn't miss anything, there'll be a new plot only when I boot up my mayor...?
Am I supposed to keep resetting and making dummy characters until I see a plot?

Feel free to tell me if I'm being an idiot by the way. it's been a long time since i've properly plot reset so i'm well okay with people telling me i'm not doing it right or something.

Are you expecting a villager plot the next day? A new day begins at 6:00 am. You should start plot resetting using a new character/save file around that time and onward :)

Are you expecting a villager plot the next day? A new day begins at 6:00 am. You should start plot resetting using a new character/save file around that time and onward :)

that's what i've been doing, it's on a brand new file so it's generally expected that villagers pop up every other day or so. but yeah, when i set the time to 5:55am, and then hop onto a new character when it hits 6am or later, i don't see any new plots. but then when i go back to my mayor there's a plot somewhere.

You don't go back on the mayor until you got the plot you wanted and built a house to save your progress, and then you delete the character and go on your mayor. Try doing 5:58/59 am instead, 5:55 am I think is too early.

You dont plot reset before 6:00 AM.. Since the new day doesn't start until after that time. The day won't refresh if you load up right before the new day starts. So there won't be any new plots.

I'm doing the time right though, I'm changing the time on my mayor to 5:55am, waiting about ten minutes or so, and then going onto a new file. Like.....it's not about me starting it up on the new file before 6am or making a new character and changing the time on that, that's not what i'm doing.

What I do exactly, is I set the day to the following one, set the time, using my mayor, talking to isabelle upon booting up, and set the time to 5:55am. Then when I get into the game, I save, quit, put my DS down for a solid ten minutes or so until it's well after 6am, boot up the game, create a new save file and run around town. I'm not seeing any plots when I do this, so I simply just quit out, but then when I go back onto my mayor and go to say....11am, there's a new plot somewhere that I never saw on the new save file. It's not even that I didn't miss it, I run around the whole town and search every section thoroughly.....

Keep making a new file till you fined a plot. I usually set my time to 11:59 pm on the day I've adopted the villager. Wait till it's changed the day and then save & quit, change time to 5:55 am. Wait five minutes and then begin.

Okay. It says on your first post that you just started a new town. How many villagers do you have now? Are you supposed to plot for a random move-in or did you adopt someone from another town or scanned an amiibo?

Sometimes plots don't show up on the first try. When you quit without saving on a new character it doesn't register that you played yet that day, so when you start with your mayor right afterward, it's still starting a brand new day that might have a plot somewhere.
Keep starting with a new character until you find a plot, or if you don't find one and want just continue on with the day, save with your new character before you load up your mayor. You can always delete the extra character later.

Sometimes plots don't show up on the first try. When you quit without saving on a new character it doesn't register that you played yet that day, so when you start with your mayor right afterward, it's still starting a brand new day that might have a plot somewhere.
Keep starting with a new character until you find a plot, or if you don't find one and want just continue on with the day, save with your new character before you load up your mayor. You can always delete the extra character later.

Ohhhhhh okay, that makes sense. Woops. I probably should've realized that before I hit ten villagers.....now I'm onto just....getting people to move the hell out.

I'm doing the time right though, I'm changing the time on my mayor to 5:55am, waiting about ten minutes or so, and then going onto a new file. Like.....it's not about me starting it up on the new file before 6am or making a new character and changing the time on that, that's not what i'm doing.

What I do exactly, is I set the day to the following one, set the time, using my mayor, talking to isabelle upon booting up, and set the time to 5:55am. Then when I get into the game, I save, quit, put my DS down for a solid ten minutes or so until it's well after 6am, boot up the game, create a new save file and run around town. I'm not seeing any plots when I do this, so I simply just quit out, but then when I go back onto my mayor and go to say....11am, there's a new plot somewhere that I never saw on the new save file. It's not even that I didn't miss it, I run around the whole town and search every section thoroughly.....

Oh, well you have to save it still, even when there is no new plot. If it's a random move in, there is a chance that there won't be one that day, and also a chance that there will be. If you don't save, and load the mayor up to start the day, your luck can change. So always save even when you don't find a plot, just to make sure the game doesn't change its mind when you do load up your mayor.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ohhhhhh okay, that makes sense. Woops. I probably should've realized that before I hit ten villagers.....now I'm onto just....getting people to move the hell out.

You can move villagers out quickly with the use of amiibo cards now :) That might be an option you want to explore ^_^

Well, I assume you're supposed to plot for the 9th villager since they move in randomly, like you can't tell when they're going to set up their plot which can take more than a few days to one week (and also depending how many times you reset). Hence why you didn't see any while using a new file but then had one when you load the mayor after. So yeah... like they said, make sure to save your game using the temporary character if you don't see a plot or when you want to have one and feel satisfied about the placement of the new plot.

For me right when I started a new village and had only about 5 people in my town, I was getting a new villager every two days, so I was just estimating really. I'm already at 10 so I'll start moving people out (and saving when i don't see a new plot)

Back