• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why are there always so few people looking for friends

I think it's because the "userbase" for acnl is so different compared to past games. Everyone seems so focused on making their towns perfect and obtaining villagers. It's all about trading. I miss how it was during acww and accf. :/ There weren't as many perfectionists and people weren't as scared to let others visit.

For me, it's just more of a matter of anxiety. I get really nervous having people around and I have trouble talking to others, so I don't post on the Train Station often because of that.

There are many other reasons besides that, though, and it's not always a matter of anxiety or people not choosing to visit. A lot of people don't always have the time to meet new people and go online, because they have other things to finish off first.

Yeah, pretty much. I tend to overthink and anxiety just kills me when it comes to having people over. I need a lot of trust to let someone in my town for more than a simple trade. I wish it weren't so though, I hate it so much sometimes.

For me it's the time zone difference! I'm in Australia (Melbourne) and it seems most forum users are in the northern hemisphere. I very rarely seem to be online at the same time as anyone else, which makes trades, visits, etc very difficult.

Partly because I don't trust people, and also because my town is under construction and I don't want people to see it in its ugly stage. We'll see if that changes once my town is complete, but I think once I'm done my town, I'm done with the game.

If I want to play with friends or someone, I'll send them a pm. It's not my thing to go to other people's town unannounced (the ones I've added) just because they have opened their gates. Same rule if it's my town.

For me it's the time zone difference! I'm in Australia (Melbourne) and it seems most forum users are in the northern hemisphere. I very rarely seem to be online at the same time as anyone else, which makes trades, visits, etc very difficult.

I'm in Oz too, Queensland (GMT +10). I feel your struggle.

A lot of people don't play the game as often anymore and most people don't trust other people in their towns because they might steal/trash the place etc.

I generally only invite like, close friends to my town. ie. people i've been talking to for awhile and know quite well. that being said i don't mind actually making some friends? like i'll gladly give people my discord and stuff and maybe at some point they can visit my acnl town. but for the most part i'm nervous someone might come in and just trash the town, i've even heard of some cases where people will trap others into doing a hard reset of their game and whatnot.

I have to stay up quite late to trade with a lot of users on this forum because I live in South East Asia, basically in the same boat as the aussies. Trading is fine, but because it's so late for me (or so early for a lot of folks) I never really get to do anything longer than a trade.

I'm in Oz too, Queensland (GMT +10). I feel your struggle.

Hi, fellow Aussie (Melbourne!) here *waves*

The timezone thing is the biggest reason I stopped using the Train Station board much. It's hard enough for me to get times sorted for trades. Trying to find a mutually suitable time to play with someone for an hour or two to just hang out in-game has become something of a pipe-dream for me. Aside from RL friends and trades I can't even recall when the last time I was in someone else's town or they in mine. Maybe the Fair last year for an event?

I'd like to visit more towns and I've got no problem with having visitors to mine at a later date. I think I'll try and get that happening once I've sorted my towns out to make them less overwhelming for visitors.

Both my towns are pretty well full of items littered everywhere you turn as I'm still cataloguing items. And also holding a couple hundred items for another player.. I'm not worried about the items since I'd put away anything I cared about, it's just an incredibly messy mess that would be dizzying for a guest lol.

I don't play with others because I'm scared they will ruin my town. I just hear so many horror stories of people inviting others over, only to have them cut down all their trees or steal/run over their flowers. As someone who already has bad anxiety, this is a nightmare to even think about. I worked so hard on my town so I would be devastated if someone did that to me. Plus, back in my City Folk days, I had a friend irl come to my town and she stole from me... if my real friends would do that, how can I know a stranger wouldn't? Obviously not everyone is like that and I doubt many people on this site would actually ruin somebody's town, but I'm just paranoid. :(

Yeah, it's that I'm too nervous to have people in my town. I have worked so hard on it to have it ruined in a matter of seconds. I know you can just flip the switch but what happens if I don't notice? I just don't wanna be stressed the entire time someone is over.

My town is under construction, I have hybrids on my beach and saplings/starts all over the ground. Basically, my town is under construction and I don't trust just anybody to waltz in there. Maybe when my town is done, but right now I don't think so.

Personally, I don't get the draw of hanging out in other people's villages unless you plan on going to the island.

What do people even do??

I think a lot of it is just the age of the game -- back when it came out the train station was a really busy forum! Everyone I know is just working through the update and reorganizing their town.

the only reason why i don't really go on the Train Station is because i can't communicate well with a younger age group. i don't mind going on tours with them or whatever but it makes me feel awkward y'know? i don't really want to play with people who are younger than 14 because it's probably uncomfortable for the both of us

You have to remember that this game was released years ago. There is only so much to do in this game and people often get bored/tired of it. The chatting system ingame is also very slow and painful so a lot of people probably avoid making friends because of this reason or simply because people stopped playing or just want to focus on their town. I also agree with the post above me, I am 19 years old and I can't really relate with the younger age groups. I wouldn't be able to hold a meaningful conversation with them without it being "forced" or "fake". I'd perfer to talk with people around my age group and the average age on this forum is 15. I mean don't get me wrong I'll talk with the younger people but just don't expect me to be your friend. Hopefully I don't come off as rude or anything.

Last edited:
Back