• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Attack on Westminster

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
You can read more about the attack on Westminster Bridge today on the BBC website here.

Westminster Under Attack in A Suspected Terrorist Attack

Today at around 14:40, a man in a Hyundai vehicle sped down Westminster Bridge and was described by eyewitnesses as "mowing down five people" before crashing his vehicle, stabbing pedestrians and then made his way into the New Palace Yard before being shot dead by two police officers. One of the casualties involved a woman who fell into the River Thames, it is unsure whether she was knocked in or if she jumped as the car sped towards her. She is being treated in hospital for serious injuries. Scotland Yard have confirmed that five people have died, including the attacker and about 40 people were injured in the attack, including three police officers.

I am expressing my condolences to anyone who was involved, I have a family member who was involved in London at the time. We aren't sure if they are safe just yet. Just wanted to have a discussion on whether anybody else has been affected by this and what this means for the future of Britain and the war against Islamic State (though it is worth noting that ISIS have not yet claimed responsibility for the attack). Do you think they are responsible for it?

Let's try to keep the discussion here civil, as people are injured and have died. I'm not trying to make another political argument.

This has actually really frightened me. I live mere hours away from London and it terrifies me to see all of this unfold in a place so close to my heart.

This has actually really frightened me. I live mere hours away from London and it terrifies me to see all of this unfold in a place so close to my heart.

Yeah, me too. I have a close relative who works in London, who we were scared was caught up in it, and London is such a beautiful place. It's upsetting that these types of things are happening, it's really scary. Even the areas around London are on high alert. It's different when you see it on the news, but once it affects you yourself, it scares you ****less.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit mentioning ISIS? They could have been involved, but there is no confirmation of that yet as far as I know.

Aren't you jumping the gun a bit mentioning ISIS? They could have been involved, but there is no confirmation of that yet as far as I know.

Scotland Yard are treating it as a terror attack. I'm only quoting what both the BBC and Scotland Yard themselves have said on the matter.

I think the only reason they called it a terrorist attack was because the person who did it was a hate preacher.

But it's recently come to light thanks to the person's brother that he is still serving a sentence in prison, so it couldn't have been him. The police have released a statement saying they know who it is, though, so if it wasn't a terrorist attack I would imagine they'd say. Must still be related to terrorism.

The style of the attack fits the agenda and way Islamic State militants have carried out their attacks on Western countries, he wasn't carrying a gun so it is highly likely that he lived in the UK and ISIS are the only terrorist organisation to declared war on "the West" in recent years. But it may have just been an unhinged individual attacking Parliament for no reason in particular.

- - - Post Merge - - -

"Investigators say they believe they know the identity of the attacker, and that he is thought to have acted alone but was “inspired by international terrorism”."

I would define this as a terrorist attack, however whether this was planned in accordance with ISIS will probably remain unknown. Though I wouldn't be surprised if ISIS did "claim" responsibility for the attack, just to make it look like they planned it so that they get the credit. :/ Such a sad day.

Last edited:
I would define this as a terrorist attack, however whether this was planned in accordance with ISIS will probably remain unknown. Though I wouldn't be surprised if ISIS did "claim" responsibility for the attack, just to make it look like they planned it so that they get the credit. :/ Such a sad day.

I know. I'm not sure whether to be disgusted by the man who did it, or the public's response. There's a video on the BBC website of a dead body that a woman just ran up to and took a picture without even helping them. I feel like we've become desensitised by social media, so much that we won't even help people in need anymore. It's sad :(

I was informed of this from my online friend who lives in London himself. It's really sad ;^; terrorist groups are conflicting innocent civilians for not one reasonable cause, imo.

I know. I'm not sure whether to be disgusted by the man who did it, or the public's response. There's a video on the BBC website of a dead body that a woman just ran up to and took a picture without even helping them. I feel like we've become desensitised by social media, so much that we won't even help people in need anymore. It's sad :(

That is horrifying. The BBC should not have that on their website....

Why is this a surprise considering Theresa May is activating Article 50 in a matter of weeks, preparing for Britain to leave the EU?...

Crazy. Just crazy.
Are they going to release the individual's name and picture? I can't find it anywhere.

Crazy. Just crazy.
Are they going to release the individual's name and picture? I can't find it anywhere.

Not yet. They're still investigating and executing search + arrest warrents (as per the OP link). Until things have reached a certain point in that process, allowing the press to release the perpetrators name etc would do absolutely NOTHING to help the legal process.

This is the same thing that happens after most tragedies. I'm always a bit surprised to see people wanting to know about the accused (no offence, just a general observation). I want to know what happened in broad terms, about the victims *if* their loved ones wish to share anything, about the survivors *if* they wish to share anything, and about the efforts of emergency and rescue personnel.

The last thing I care about is knowing more about the perpetrator/s. They don't deserve my interest.

Not yet. They're still investigating and executing search + arrest warrents (as per the OP link). Until things have reached a certain point in that process, allowing the press to release the perpetrators name etc would do absolutely NOTHING to help the legal process.

This is the same thing that happens after most tragedies. I'm always a bit surprised to see people wanting to know about the accused (no offence, just a general observation). I want to know what happened in broad terms, about the victims *if* their loved ones wish to share anything, about the survivors *if* they wish to share anything, and about the efforts of emergency and rescue personnel.

The last thing I care about is knowing more about the perpetrator/s. They don't deserve my interest.

Agreed. Plus, a lot of people do horrific things like this for the publicity. I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction.

It'll be interesting to see what race the attacker is since if they are not white, I'm pretty sure it'll make everyone believe it was automatically a terrorist attack.

For some reason I didn't realise normal police were allowed guns oops that's embarrassing
I heard they've been patrolling around the area since then ;;

Back