• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you care to decorate villager's houses?

I'd love it if they added a feature that lets you redecorate your villager's house. That being said, I wouldn't try to get them to replace/add furniture using any of the known methods.

No, never even knew you could try until I got on this forum last November. Been playing since last April.

I encourage them to buy whatever they want in Re-Tail. It's all the stuff I don't want, and I list it below suggested price. I send a letter and gift to every villager about every five days. Even research on Thonky for their likes and dislikes. Crazy, huh? I love to take pictures of their houses to see if they put out the items they buy and that I send them. It's fun!

When they ask for fish, if it's not specific I get them the most expensive one I can find. Love the reactions! Try it sometime!

I buy Gracie items especially for them, and give them expensive furniture. What the heck else does my mayor have to spend 30million IGB on? (They comment on the fish but don't seem to realize how much the furniture costs.)

I quit amassing bells at 30m, and keep it about there. Have helped my grandson (he's six) get his game started by giving him bells. Not for everything...he still has to play (work) for his own bells. ;) Oh, just like in real life! Duh!

What a great game! I love the complexity, the freedom, the diversity, the amusement, the creativity; almost everything about it!

PS What does "blinged out her house" mean? I have so much to learn!

i try to keep everyone's houses as original as possible but i don't really care if they place something new. in my old town all of their houses were either empty or completely ruined. i think most of the villager's original house design is great, i gave Flurry a chocolate cake the other day because it suits her home & i sometimes give villagers small items because bigger items are too much of a risk in my opinion

This is what I do. I will admit decorating their homes is a bit of a challenge because the chances of them asking you to replace a certain item in their house is completely random. The result comes out really nice. I succeeded in redecorating Stitches's house to include food items and furniture.

I do try to avoid them getting rid of their original furniture by putting up all gems in Retail. That way they don't end up with something really ugly. I avoid doing deliveries or tasks for them unless it's fruit related.

EDIT: I forgot to add I wish replacing their wallpaper and flooring was possible. There's so many villagers who have cute homes but the wall/floor is so off that it ruins their house. :p

Last edited:
To an extent, I will actually look up their color/style preference and send them items that fall under at least on or the other. If you've never done this, DO IT! They will react way more positively towards it. So I give them things that match their house, but improve it.

To an extent, I will actually look up their color/style preference and send them items that fall under at least on or the other. If you've never done this, DO IT! They will react way more positively towards it. So I give them things that match their house, but improve it.

Man, I thought I was being really conscientious when I looked up what Tom likes in order to give him suitable presents *from all 4 characters - TWICE each (at the birthday party and via mail)*. I've never bothered doing that before. I've gotten as far as looking up a birthday and their preferences but I've not managed to follow through with *all* my chars like that before.

Looking that stuff up for each request? I can try. (I do really like attaching my random cheap junk to letters though, so that will be a hard habit to break I think.

Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought to try it. I'm sure I've inadvertently given them their preferred items in the past but as I didn't know it was special (to them) I just raced through the reaction and dialogue as fast as possible to get away already.

I'll definitely give this a go!

Last edited:
I encourage them to buy whatever they want in Re-Tail. It's all the stuff I don't want, and I list it below suggested price. I send a letter and gift to every villager about every five days. Even research on Thonky for their likes and dislikes. Crazy, huh? I love to take pictures of their houses to see if they put out the items they buy and that I send them. It's fun!

When they ask for fish, if it's not specific I get them the most expensive one I can find. Love the reactions! Try it sometime!

I have always tried to give my villagers expensive fish and perfect fruit whenever possible, but I never thought to give them preferred items in the post! I always consult the Thonky list for their birthdays, but usually just give them whatever I think is cute in letters. Do you think it makes much of a difference when it comes to friendship?

Despite spoiling my villagers rotten, it took more than 4 months to receive my first picture in my last town. Since starting my new town I'm focusing on building strong friendships with my motley bunch of starters. The sooner we become BFFs, the sooner Cobb will move out, ha!

Back