• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Town theme ideas?

unpoetic

sleepy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
As I develop my town I'm trying to think of a good theme to build on. I've seen a lot of the forest-y type towns and I think they're magical but it seems like a lot of people do that theme. I wanted to do something a little different but am having trouble thinking of ideas. My town is named Verona (after Romeo + Juliet) and I kind of want to do something romantic with an old Italian feel to it. What PWP projects should I try and get/build? Any good path recommendations? Would this even work? Any other helpful ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Rose arch, Statue fountain, metal bench, fairy tale clock, wisteria trellis, windmill, illuminated heart, illuminated clock, illuminated tree, perhaps? I can see those things being made into a romantic feeling town

They aren't PWP, but I'd recommend lots of roses, especially pink, red, and white. Black might also be nice, to represent the sadder parts of the story.
For paths, something that looks brick or cobblestone would be good, possibly in shades of reddish browns.

Last edited:
I don't have any suggestions, but can I just say I love the idea of a romantic Italian town! It's really originial and I think it could look really beautiful!

Here are some ideas for an Italian theme:

My first thought was lemon trees (and orange trees; citrus in general). Cedars and regular trees along with the citrus would be best. Square or round topiaries. Violets, white lilies, roses (all traditional/symbolic flowers for Italy). Sweet olive bushes--which would mean your dream town would need to be set between 9/8-11/30 in order for those to be budding or blooming. The rack of rice PWP would be good, since rice is a cultivated crop.

For villagers, I'd suggest pigs ("wild boars"), wolves, bears, and maybe rabbits.
Anicotti the peppy mouse is Italian-inspired...there is also Anchovy the lazy bird.

For food items in your characters' homes, fish (like the fish on a board), grain (like the flour item or the bundle of wheat), pasta, bowls of lemons or oranges, olive oil, etc. would all be good.

Here are some ideas for an Italian theme:

My first thought was lemon trees (and orange trees; citrus in general). Cedars and regular trees along with the citrus would be best. Square or round topiaries. Violets, white lilies, roses (all traditional/symbolic flowers for Italy). Sweet olive bushes--which would mean your dream town would need to be set between 9/8-11/30 in order for those to be budding or blooming. The rack of rice PWP would be good, since rice is a cultivated crop.

For villagers, I'd suggest pigs ("wild boars"), wolves, bears, and maybe rabbits.
Anicotti the peppy mouse is Italian-inspired...there is also Anchovy the lazy bird.

For food items in your characters' homes, fish (like the fish on a board), grain (like the flour item or the bundle of wheat), pasta, bowls of lemons or oranges, olive oil, etc. would all be good.

Thank you for this! I was definitely planning on lots of citrus. I didn't even think about the sweet olives which is a wonderful idea.

it'd be wonderful to create beautiful paths of ancient roman ruins with patterns

I agree with the citrus trees, sweet olive starts, and gold roses! I think a combination of gold and yellow roses with a nice brick path would look really great. You could even have a part of town that is more "foresty" in the north with a bunch of cedar trees and some natural dirt paths. You can use the flower bed PWP in between your paths as well.

I don't really have any suggestions, but I would absolutely love to see your town when it's done! Please say you'll post a dream address.

Last edited:
I agree with the citrus trees, sweet olive starts, and gold roses! I think a combination of gold and yellow roses with a nice brick path would look really great. You could even have a part of town that is more "foresty" in the north with a bunch of cedar trees and some natural dirt paths. You can use the flower bed PWP in between your paths as well.

I already had the cedar forest in mind but I like the natural dirt path idea as well!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't really have any suggestions, but I would absolutely love to see your town when it's done! Please say you'll post a dream address.

For sure! It'll be some time before it's developed enough to post a dream address but once it's partially done I definitely will.

Ooh, I've just finished reading the Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet not too long ago. If it takes place during the beginning, the town can be split in half (two different colors, two different animal species). Actually, two different animal species sounds like a great idea to me, since Capulets and Montagues were two different families and all. The movie Gnomeo and Juliet had Capulets the color red and Montagues blue.

I thought of something else: the Motherly Statue! It's of Romulus and Remus, the founders of Rome. :)

There is also the Mouth of Truth (Gulliver item) and the Tower of Pisa (spotlight/Wishy the Star item).

Back