• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

YouTube Block LGBT+ Content with New "Restricted Mode" Feature

speak for yourself pls

I agree with forestyne. I know many people (myself included) that experience internalized homo/transphobia. It's more common than you might think. However, I also understand that it isn't that way for everyone.

speak for yourself pls

I'm sorry, but what in my original post upset you?

I am someone who feels internalised 'biphobia' (if it can even be called that) against myself, because my sexuality is often unjustified and belittled even in the LGBT community. I wasn't trying to upset anybody.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I agree with forestyne. I know many people (myself included) that experience internalized homo/transphobia. It's more common than you might think. However, I also understand that it isn't that way for everyone.

Yes, I feel like I should've clarified that not everybody experiences homo/transphobia. But I don't see why oath2order was upset. :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

aaa i feel bad

Yes, I feel like I should've clarified that not everybody experiences homo/transphobia. But I don't see why oath2order was upset. :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

aaa i feel bad

I mean, you did a pretty good job, imo. In your post you said a lot of people. I understood where you were coming from, but I can also understand why others would think of it as a generalization.

On the flip-side, they could have misunderstood where you were coming from.

I mean, you did a pretty good job, imo. In your post you said a lot of people. I understood where you were coming from, but I can also understand why others would think of it as a generalization.

On the flip-side, they could have misunderstood where you were coming from.

Yeah, I didn't mean to generalise anybody. I could've clarified that better.

Wasn't much of a civil start.

Last edited:
I haven't been reading the thread so sorry if someone mentioned it but apparently the "inappropriate" flags were user placed, as in the YT userbase are the ones who deemed what video tags would be restricted. So now YouTube's trying to fix everything.

Granted this doesn't mean the outcry was pointless or unnecessary. YT messed up and should have figured this would be taken advantage of but nonetheless apparently they are trying to fix it.

I haven't been reading the thread so sorry if someone mentioned it but apparently the "inappropriate" flags were user placed, as in the YT userbase are the ones who deemed what video tags would be restricted. So now YouTube's trying to fix everything.

Granted this doesn't mean the outcry was pointless or unnecessary. YT messed up and should have figured this would be taken advantage of but nonetheless apparently they are trying to fix it.

I find it more upsetting that they just let users willy-nilly nitpick LGBT friendly content without reviewing it. At least they're sorting out the mess that they made.

I've mentioned that is one of the main factors determining which videos get restricted (through users reporting content as inappropriate), and I think a couple of other people have as well. Mostly that's been ignored in favour of putting the blame on a) "bad algorithims", b) YouTube choosing to censor "certain words" in the title of videos which wasn't their fault (says they) since apparently "gay" content = inappropriately sexual regardless of the actual content (and that devolved into a mindbending discussion of exactly what does and does not constitute "inappropriate sexual content" with dictionary definitions being thrown right and left), c) acknowledging YouTube ****ed up but they're going to fix it now so why are people even still talking about it anyway?? and d) some combination of the above.

Oh and we've had plenty of random "do we even know if this is a thing around the world (yes, we do), and in other languages (yes, we do), and that any actual child might EVER be affected by this censorship (I've answered this at least twice now as have other people - yes, LOTS of children, and even 1 is too many for a reason like this) questions.

There, I think that's most of the thread covered in a nutshell!

Back