• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

YouTube Block LGBT+ Content with New "Restricted Mode" Feature

Bowie

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Gold Trophy (First Place)
Bronze Trophy (Third Place)
irdwFMA.png

YouTube have unveiled a new "Restricted Mode" feature which intends to keep inappropriate content away from children and anyone who may be offended by it in general.

Among the type of videos included in the filter are all of Lady Gaga's music videos, many of David Bowie's, Rihanna's, Beyonc?'s, etc., and also many LGBT+ content creators. Pretty much any remotely "gay" thing you can imagine has been blocked under the new system.

Obviously, the content is still accessible with the mode turned off, but people have been rightfully going crazy about it on social media. Thoughts? (I'm sure mine are pretty obvious.)​

oh no!!!!!! gay people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't believe I LOOKED AT ONE! I WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!!!!!

Wow @.@ - they are targeting the content rather than the comments, really?? Holy guacamole.

I found this article that explains what's happening : http://gizmodo.com/youtubes-restricted-mode-is-hiding-some-lgbt-content-1793382337 :

The video [shown in article] is among those that is hidden in restricted mode, and Gizmodo verified that other channels had LGBT-related videos that disappeared on restricted mode. Other restricted videos include a video of a lesbian couple reading each other their wedding vows.

Ellis told Gizmodo that while she doesn’t know why this is happening, it’s troubling regardless, because it implies “there is a bias somewhere within that process equating LGBTQ+ with ‘not family friendly.’” Regardless of “how innocent or unintentional the ‘hows’ or ‘whys’ are, the effects cannot be ignored,” she added.

According to Rowan Ellis, the fact that innocuous LGBT videos are being hidden is troubling, because it implies there’s something inherently offensive about being LGBT. “Videos about LGBTQ+ life, love, history, friendships etc are no more inappropriate than videos with straight couples or telling the history of straight figures,” she told Gizmodo. “Yet they are apparently being treated differently.

And :

While the [google] spokesperson noted that the feature is fully optional, the feature’s own help page warns that “Computers in libraries, universities, and other public institutions may have Restricted Mode enabled by the system administrator.” That could pose a problem for kids whose main access to the internet is through computers at school.

*headdesk*

Last edited:
So? Maybe parents don't want their kids to be exposed to that kind of thing. Just keep it off if it bugs you.

Welcome to the internet, where nothing is perfect.

So? Maybe parents don't want their kids to be exposed to that kind of thing. Just keep it off if it bugs you.

parents don't want their kids exposed to normal love? lmao

- - - Post Merge - - -

i mean, i get the intense, sexual LGBT videos (Anything sexual should be censored for kids), but like... lesbians reading wedding vows? really? why should kids not see something as simple and sweet as that

- - - Post Merge - - -

i mean, i get the intense, sexual LGBT videos (Anything sexual should be censored for kids), but like... lesbians reading wedding vows? really? why should kids not see something as simple and sweet as that

why would a kid look up lesbians reading wedding vows?

ah youtube going crazy again, it's getting old

Wouldn't shock me, especially since Christianity is still a big thing.

The practising Christians I know personally (who are not fundamentalists* aka extremists) are actually actively campaigning for LGTBQIA+ rights including - especially - to marry. There are Christian extremists in Australia, but they are not the majority (albeit too many of them are currently politicians in government).

*I've met people who hold those beliefs, but as a very active advocate for LGBTQIA+ rights, as well as being an early childhood educator (who has vast experience in working with all kinds of families) I'm less likely to have random people start talking to me about how *those people* don't deserve to get married/hold hands in public/be treated as equals/exist. Outside of specific events to doscuss these issues I've only heard very occasional, random commentary along those lines. I'm lucky to be a part of such an open-minded and aware community.

Last edited:
The practising Christians I know personally (who are not fundamentalists aka extremists) are actually actively campaigning for LGTBQIA+ rights including - especially - to marry. There are Christian extremists in Australia, but they are not the majority (albeit too many of them are currently politicians in government).
Keep in mind the large amount of Christian "extremists" in the midwestern US

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone sees that as "normal" love. Welcome to the real world.

Keep in mind the large amount of Christian "extremists" in the midwestern US

Ya, that's certainly important to keep in mind. It's bizarre to me how so many Americans seemingly see no conflict with demanding so much freedom of speech and self determination (ability to have religon in schools, less taxes, et al), and yet insist upon trying to censor so much for everyone (other religons, LGBTQIA+, et al). The cognitive dissonance just baffles me.

Ya, that's certainly important to keep in mind. It's bizarre to me how so many Americans seemingly see no conflict with demanding so much freedom of speech and self determination (ability to have religon in schools, less taxes, et al), and yet insist upon trying to censor so much for everyone (other religons, LGBTQIA+, et al). The cognitive dissonance just baffles me.

People just don't like change i guess

i hope christian videos are next i would hate for my child to be exposed to those

i hope christian videos are next i would hate for my child to be exposed to those

Funny thing is if that did happen there would be no outcry. It's only when the LGBT+ is affected when it's actually newsworthy to the media.

Funny thing is if that did happen there would be no outcry. It's only when the LGBT+ is affected when it's actually newsworthy to the media.

Yet 3 years ago nobody cared. Strange.

Back