• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

YouTube Block LGBT+ Content with New "Restricted Mode" Feature

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone sees that as "normal" love. Welcome to the real world.

In this real world of ours, there are indeed people who can't/won't accept that gay etc love is normal. There also many, many people who see that love as completely normal - and the numbers for the latter group are growing, as acceptance and understanding of the LGBTQIA+ community continues to grow.

In the real world, you get to live your own live as you please within the bounds of your circumstances and societal norms and laws. Generally speaking, your freedom *stops* when it impacts another person, just as their freedom ends when it impacts you.

A private company choosing to implement a censorship system which disproportionately targets LGBTQIA+ content on the world's biggest video sharing platform is a big deal in the real world.

The biggest problem I have with this "restricted" mode is that such modes are the default used in educational and public settings. Schools and libraries routinely activate any "safe mode" settings in order to restrict inappropriate or questionable content (for liability as well as duty-of-care reasons). I have worked in these settings nd the impact for this youtube restriction mode is going to be significant.

I think it's a terrible shame that there are people in 2017 that don't believe this love is "normal". That is their choice to remain ignorant (which is not an insult, just an assessment). I disagree adamantly with the idea that society in general should tolerate those beliefs, regardless of the religion involved.

I think by saying "this could be offensive to somebody, so let's make it optional to keep away from it" is a way of condoning prejudice. People should be discouraged from thinking that it's wrong to fall in love with people. Love is a beautiful thing, and I think everyone can agree that we need it more than ever in the world we live in today.

Sex and violence and drug abuse? Put that in there. But don't generalise a whole community just because you're worried you'll see a guy kissing a guy or a girl kissing a girl and it's going to make you cry or something. Grow up for a start.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that youtube is trying to make the site more """kid friendly""" so they are setting up all channels in "age groups". So like for example, someone like Pewdiepie would be in an older age group because he's considered offensive, but those toy channels would be a lower age group for like little kids. And then they are planning on blocking channels based on your age group. So like a 10 year old won't be able to view videos in a higher age group or even see the videos in suggested. They'd only be able to see videos in the 10 years old age group.

I don't know if this is true, but if it is maybe this is a part of it.

All of this is getting old. Worldwide acceptance is all the LGBT+ community wants. I will say that YouTube hasn't been the best with acceptance and being fair to everyone. It would be ridiculous to say that I was surprised.

Okay, so I'm confused. I just went onto youtube (I don't have an account, so keep that in mind) and I searched up several of the videos that are supposedly blocked and none of them are age restricted at all. Does this only apply to people with accounts or what?

Last edited:
Okay, so I'm confused. I just went onto youtube (I don't have an account, so keep that in mind) and I searched up several of the videos that are supposedly blocked and none of them are age restricted at all. Does this only apply to people with accounts or what?

You have to go down to the very bottom of the screen and turn the mode on. The videos will simply not come up in the search results once you have turned it on.

why would a kid look up lesbians reading wedding vows?

I can think of many reasons (for the sake of argument I'm assuming the child is old enough to read enough to type a search query, so around 8 is the youngest without assistance) :

- it may appear as a recommendation based on other videos watched and searches made, just like anything else can.

- their parents or other family members/friends are getting married and they are looking into different types of ceremonies.

- their parents and/or family member/friend is gay or lesbian and they are curious about what a wedding might look like for them.

- they themselves are gay etc and want to see if "people like them" can do normal grown up stuff like get married.

- research for homework on different types of families, celebrations, minorities, societal changes and trends - or anything related to those topics.

My concern is not *why* a child would be looking at content that gets them to this video. I'm not even concerned with those children whose access to such videos is already restricted due to parental choice (well, I am, but that's irrelevant to this topic). My concern is : *why not* allow this video to be freely available for a child to see just as the equivalent male-and-female ceremonies are? On what basis does the company think imposing this restriction on our children is a reasonable thing to do in our global society?

Hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone sees that as "normal" love. Welcome to the real world.

Ok but it is. Hate to burst your bubble but gay people don't love any differently than straight people and shouldn't be censored because some ignorant buttholes can't accept that. Welcome to the real world.

I can think of many reasons (for the sake of argument I'm assuming the child is old enough to read enough to type a search query, so around 8 is the youngest without assistance) :

- it may appear as a recommendation based on other videos watched and searches made, just like anything else can.

- their parents or other family members/friends are getting married and they are looking into different types of ceremonies.

- their parents and/or family member/friend is gay or lesbian and they are curious about what a wedding might look like for them.

- they themselves are gay etc and want to see if "people like them" can do normal grown up stuff like get married.

- research for homework on different types of families, celebrations, minorities, societal changes and trends - or anything related to those topics.

My concern is not *why* a child would be looking at content that gets them to this video. I'm not even concerned with those children whose access to such videos is already restricted due to parental choice (well, I am, but that's irrelevant to this topic). My concern is : *why not* allow this video to be freely available for a child to see just as the equivalent male-and-female ceremonies are? On what basis does the company think imposing this restriction on our children is a reasonable thing to do in our global society?

what actual child will still do this tho
all my nephew cares about is review videos of toys

not in my christian youtube, block all gay content!!!

(kidding, of course.)

News flash: If you don't see it as normal love, you're a douche. Just sayin'.

Funny thing is if that did happen there would be no outcry. It's only when the LGBT+ is affected when it's actually newsworthy to the media.

Oh you mean like how Christians piss and moan about how there's a "war on Christmas" or how "muslims are taking over!" or how everything that involves equal rights is somehow an "attack on their faith"?

There's estimated to be about 74 million children in the US and 21 million of those are under 5.

A ****-ton of those are going to only care about toy review videos but some will look this stuff up.

Ok I said to myself to just leave it at that little reply but the "Parents don't want their kids exposed to this kind of thing" is rubbing me in a Real Bad Way.

Wording it as "that sort of thing" as if it's something inhuman and alien aside, do you not realize that kids are LGBT too? Being LGBT isn't something that solely happens during adulthood or middle-late teenage years. Do you know how damaging and dangerous it is to keep LGBT kids from LGBT media? It's freaking horrifying. You grow up thinking you're messed up or broken or that your brain is deficient or something and then you hate yourself for years. It's cruel.

Not every child has the same mindset as your nephew. Children are super curious. Just because you have children in your life that wouldn't look/haven't looked anything like that up doesn't mean all children are the same.

I can think of 6 children that age or older that I know who would do this, just off the top of my head. If I included the ones who would have reasonable homework (so, all the kids aged 8+ I know, as even the private and religious schools I know of would cover these issues even if indirectly).. I dunno, 50+ kids, probably more, that I know directly. This kind of video would be usable in so many subjects, and for so many assignments, I honestly can't think of a child I know who would *not* be exposed to this or similar content. Our school curriculum has many faults, but inclusion and diversity education is one thing we tend to do well.

Of course there are children who would never go looking for anything like this. But I think you're vastly underestimating the general curiousity and thirst for knowledge that children inherently have if you think a child would never go looking for a video like this.

Last edited:
when i was little i didn't feel alienate cause literally every other kid i met on the internet was "bisexual XD"

when i was little i didn't feel alienate cause literally every other kid i met on the internet was "bisexual XD"

Cool! If only the whole entire world related to your personal experiences!

I can think of 6 children that age or older that I know who would do this, just off the top of my head. If I included the ones who would have reasonable homework (so, all the kids aged 8+ I know, as even the private and religious schools I know of would cover these issues).. I dunno, 50+ kids, probably more, that I know directly. This kind of video would be usable in so many subjects, and for so assignments, I honestly can't think of a child I know who would *not* be exposed to this or similar content. Our school curriculum has many faults, but inclusion and diversity education is one thing we tend to do well.

Of course there are children who would never go looking for anything like this. But I think you're vastly underestimating the general curiousity and thirst for knowledge that children have if you think a child would never go looking for a video like this.

im not sitting here denying that children won't look up anything

- - - Post Merge - - -

Cool! If only the whole entire world related to your personal experiences!

HA! What are you referencing to?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Not every child has the same mindset as your nephew. Children are super curious. Just because you have children in your life that wouldn't look/haven't looked anything like that up doesn't mean all children are the same.

I know that lmao

There are times where personal experiences can really help you look at things, but there are other times where you have to think outside of what you have experienced.

Back