• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nooooo!

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I just found my first dead spot. Whyyy? Is there even a good reason for these things to exist? Is it a flaw in the code or did the developers intend to create these dead spots? If it's the latter, well they're just jerks. Someone please tell me a possible reason why this was implemented into the game other than to mess with us!?

There's actually no such thing lol
There are countless restrictions for trees and bushes
If you want more detail you should check out liquify's blog

There's actually no such thing lol
There are countless restrictions for trees and bushes
If you want more detail you should check out liquify's blog

But I know them and this does not fall into any of those categories.. It's only a row of 6 bushes, so it should grow. It meets all space requirements as well. There is no other reason why a random bush would die :(

There are more restrictions than the 13 bush rule most people are unaware of
you probably have too many in a certain amount of space

- - - Post Merge - - -

1) Trees will not grow immediately next to water, cliffs, other trees, rocks,
buildings, signs, and bridges.

2) No more than eight trees will grow within a 7x7 square plot of land.

3) Within a 5x5 square plot of land that already has twelve shrubs, a tree will
not grow.

Shoots will appear randomly in one of the 15 spots that are "two spots away
from" the bamboo tree:

B B S B B B=Bamboo Shoot (possible spot for spawning)
B S S S B S=Space
B S T S B T=Bamboo Tree
B S S S B
B B B B B

1) Shrubs will not grow immediately next to water, cliffs, rocks, buildings,
signs, and bridges.

2) Within a 7x7 square plot of land that already has 15 trees and/or shrubs, a
shrub will not grow.

Last edited:
Was the bush that died in the middle or on one of the edges? If it was in the middle, then maybe that's why it died because trees and bushes usually die when they're planted in the middle of a cluster. You could try planting them again going from the middle outward day by day, but I don't know if that's guaranteed to work and you may just end up wasting a lot of bush starts.

There are more restrictions than the 13 bush rule most people are unaware of
you probably have too many in a certain amount of space

- - - Post Merge - - -

1) Trees will not grow immediately next to water, cliffs, other trees, rocks,
buildings, signs, and bridges.

2) No more than eight trees will grow within a 7x7 square plot of land.

3) Within a 5x5 square plot of land that already has twelve shrubs, a tree will
not grow.

Shoots will appear randomly in one of the 15 spots that are "two spots away
from" the bamboo tree:

B B S B B B=Bamboo Shoot (possible spot for spawning)
B S S S B S=Space
B S T S B T=Bamboo Tree
B S S S B
B B B B B

1) Shrubs will not grow immediately next to water, cliffs, rocks, buildings,
signs, and bridges.

2) Within a 7x7 square plot of land that already has 15 trees and/or shrubs, a
shrub will not grow.

Well I still don't know my problem. I'm probably too stupid lol. I guess it could be there's too many in an area.. :( I still don't see a reason why this was implemented other than to annoy the player..

But thanks for the info! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Was the bush that died in the middle or on one of the edges? If it was in the middle, then maybe that's why it died because trees and bushes usually die when they're planted in the middle of a cluster. You could try planting them again going from the middle outward day by day, but I don't know if that's guaranteed to work and you may just end up wasting a lot of bush starts.

It was in the middle :( I would try that but I'm afraid a different bush will just die and then it'll be even more lopsided. I'm trying to work with it by just putting flowers every 2 bushes, to make the gap look intentional lol.

EDIT: I didn't plant them like this:

xxx
xxx
xxx

I planted them like this:

x
x
o
x
x
x

The "o" being the one that died..

Last edited:
It was in the middle :( I would try that but I'm afraid a different bush will just die and then it'll be even more lopsided. I'm trying to work with it by just putting flowers every 2 bushes, to make the gap look intentional lol.

EDIT: I didn't plant them like this:

xxx
xxx
xxx

I planted them like this:

x
x
o
x
x
x

The "o" being the one that died..

You can probably get that same formation of bushes again even if what I suggested doesn't work. I would give it a shot planting them like this:

Where you plant the 1's on the one day, 2's on the next day, and 3's on the day after that and see if you still have the dead spots. I think it's at least worth trying unless you don't have any extra bush starts to work with. I've planted long rows of bushes using this method and it's always worked for me.

I can try to find the article where I learned about this and post the link here.

Here it is: http://animal-xing-3ds.livejournal.com/126850.html

Last edited:
what about bushes not in that line?

Sorry, what do you mean? Like the other bushes in the area?

- - - Post Merge - - -

You can probably get that same formation of bushes again even if what I suggested doesn't work. I would give it a shot planting them like this:

Where you plant the 1's on the one day, 2's on the next day, and 3's on the day after that and see if you still have the dead spots. I think it's at least worth trying unless you don't have any extra bush starts to work with. I've planted long rows of bushes using this method and it's always worked for me.

I guess I could try that. Probably another time when I have the energy lol. I just realized another bush died on the other side of my path, in a row of 12 bushes/trees. It's too frustrating to deal with it now haha. But this is a good idea, if it's worked before :) Thanks!

EDIT: I wouldn't mind seeing the article, thank you!

Last edited:
xoooox
xooooo
oooxoo
xoooox
xooxoo
xooxoo

bushes not int that line of bushes but still around
make something like this

Last edited:
xoooox
xooooo
oooxoo
xoooox
xooxoo
xooxoo

bushes not int that line of bushes but still around
make something like this

Okay, I'll try (I'll even try to show the other dead spot that I just discovered:

T=tree
o=dead spot
x=bush
.=space
| |=path

. . . . xxTx
. . . . x
T. . . x
. x| |o
. x| |x
. o| |x
. x| |T
. x| |x
Tx| |x

I hope that makes sense... lol
There are 2 squares in the path..
The T(tree) at the top left is diagonal to the bush.

Last edited:
I can say honestly you can actually plant bushes near cliffs as long as there are say clovers right in front of them. And yes I have pictures to prove this. Or you can use flowers as well instead of cloves. I have a whole section that is in the front part of my town. As far other suggestions
while there are not dead spots persay each town has a designated layout on how many buildings, trees and bushes that are pre determine that cannot intersect with overarching into each section. Hope this helps.

I can say honestly you can actually plant bushes near cliffs as long as there are say clovers right in front of them. And yes I have pictures to prove this. Or you can use flowers as well instead of cloves. I have a whole section that is in the front part of my town. As far other suggestions
while there are not dead spots persay each town has a designated layout on how many buildings, trees and bushes that are pre determine that cannot intersect with overarching into each section. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding you correctly. It isn't that we think we can't plant bushes near cliffs, but rather right next to it. I'm aware that as long as you can walk all around the hole, you can plant there (this is the same as your clover theory, right?). As for the second part of your comment, I'm afraid I don't really get it :( Do you mean there's only a number of plants that can grow within an acre..?

Sorry!

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding you correctly. It isn't that we think we can't plant bushes near cliffs, but rather right next to it. I'm aware that as long as you can walk all around the hole, you can plant there (this is the same as your clover theory, right?). As for the second part of your comment, I'm afraid I don't really get it :( Do you mean there's only a number of plants that can grow within an acre..?

Sorry!

Yes to both as long as you can walk around them then yes you can plant them. Let me see if I can find the link explaining the other part of of my description.

- - - Post Merge - - -

here is the link I was referring to, hope it helps!
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?310996-The-precision-of-villager-plot-resetting

Back