• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

happy St. Patrick's Day!

Wait, you get pinched if you don't wear green? How come?

Well, idk about in other countries but in the US, part of the tradition is that you have to wear green and if you don't, the "leprechaun" will pinch you (aka everyone else lol)

why do they celebrate st patrick's day outside of ireland??? :consfused: it's like celebrating st david's day outside of wales.

what the--! youre getting my Irish up!
see, this is why we need a dislike button!! :mad:

(actually, the saying here is that "Everybody is Irish for a day on St. Patrick's Day")

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hmm... I might grab a shamrock shake from McDonald's tomorrow if they aren't out yet (they sometimes keep selling them past St. Patrick's day). I've never really done anything for the Holiday, except for maybe post Irish memes and wear green.

potato-stamp-shamrock-cards-slide.jpg

yeah theyre out, and this year you can order one that has chocolate shake on the bottom half, shamrock shake on the top half....

Well, idk about in other countries but in the US, part of the tradition is that you have to wear green and if you don't, the "leprechaun" will pinch you (aka everyone else lol)

Oh my god, well I live in Canada so that's probably why I haven't heard of this. It sounds awful! :C
It's one of those "jokes" that aren't funny to the victim but are sickly enough, hilarious to the person doing the pinching but when it happens to them they complain.

because traditions are abusive

Kids at school are horrible. A similar thing is kick a ginger day which really doesn't make sense but went wild throughout schools because it was a chance to be above someone else. It was really sad.

I don't celebrate it for religion, I celebrate it for being Irish and I'm wearing a nice green coat because I don't have any other green clothes. XD

Potatoes = famine because of potatoes = a lot of people died.
So yeah potatoes....yay you killed a crap ton of Irish people.

I don't really understand why people who aren't Irish celebrate St.Patrick's day....you aren't Irish. Is it an excuse to get drunk because once again that's another stereotype to Irish people...Yes we're all alcoholic's....I don't really care though so get drunk and stuff, enjoy St.Patrick's day to everyone who celebrates today. ♣

Last edited:
while it may be an excuse for many to do some drinking here in the USA, its not because of any stereotype of the Irish, its because everybody here loves Guinness, Smithwick's, Jameson etc and those companies market the heck out of the occasion. and we enjoy celebrating here and need very little excuse to do so; Cinco de Mayo and Oktoberfest are other occasions that are cultural celebrations with plenty of folks drinking tequila and lager, respectively, on those occasions.

I live in Canada, and it's pretty big in Cape Breton, due to the large population of Irish descent here.

I don't celebrate it for religion, I celebrate it for being Irish and I'm wearing a nice green coat because I don't have any other green clothes. XD

Potatoes = famine because of potatoes = a lot of people died.
So yeah potatoes....yay you killed a crap ton of Irish people.

I don't really understand why people who aren't Irish celebrate St.Patrick's day....you aren't Irish. Is it an excuse to get drunk because once again that's another stereotype to Irish people...Yes we're all alcoholic's....I don't really care though so get drunk and stuff, enjoy St.Patrick's day to everyone who celebrates today. ♣
technically it was the lack of potatoes that killed the irish

technically it was the lack of potatoes that killed the irish

I know, potato blight was the cause of the Irish Famine and due to our reliance on Potatoes back then it was really devastating and hard to live when the disease spread. They killed a million or more people in one way or another essentially and about 20% or more of the population left Ireland so it was awful. Potatoes were more than food back then tbh.

**** you POTATOES! XD

Last edited:
Wait, you get pinched if you don't wear green? How come?

First I've heard of that @.@ what a horrible tradition.

When I was a child we didn't regularly "celebrate" St Patrick's Day at school. Those of us with an irish background or an interest in it would dress up in green and orange, but it wasn't a thing where the whole class/school did it. By the time I was in high school it had become more of a "thing" (we also celebrated all kinds of other cultural events, at least one per week minimum). It was still optional though. We had permission to wear green and orange in all kinds of crazy ways, so long as the uniform was still worn and visible. As it was a bottle green uniform anyway, many girls didn't accessorise any extra green. Their loss!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I know, potato blight was the cause of the Irish Famine and due to our reliance on Potatoes back then it was really devastating and hard to live when the disease spread. They killed a million or more people in one way or another essentially and about 20% or more of the population left Ireland so it was awful. Potatoes were more than food back then tbh.

**** you POTATOES! XD

DO NOT BLAME POTATOES FOR THE BLIGHT!! That's like blaming the fleas for spreading the bubonic plague in the dark ages. It was a devasting, but natural, consequence of human actions and practices.

NOTE : for anyone who doesn't know about the Potato Famine of Ireland, it is an unbelievably sad and sickening thing to read up on. Whilst I highly recommend learning more about our history (and this event directly led to the mass immigration that helped develop the US and Australia into the countries they are today), the records, accounts, and photographs are detailed and frequently graphic. Please use your judgement when looking this up.

happy st patrick's day!. i switched my beedrill to a shiny green one, and i might be making a green pineapple/cilantro smoothie

First I've heard of that @.@ what a horrible tradition.

When I was a child we didn't regularly "celebrate" St Patrick's Day at school. Those of us with an irish background or an interest in it would dress up in green and orange, but it wasn't a thing where the whole class/school did it. By the time I was in high school it had become more of a "thing" (we also celebrated all kinds of other cultural events, at least one per week minimum). It was still optional though. We had permission to wear green and orange in all kinds of crazy ways, so long as the uniform was still worn and visible. As it was a bottle green uniform anyway, many girls didn't accessorise any extra green. Their loss!

- - - Post Merge - - -

DO NOT BLAME POTATOES FOR THE BLIGHT!! That's like blaming the fleas for spreading the bubonic plague in the dark ages. It was a devasting, but natural, consequence of human actions and practices.

NOTE : for anyone who doesn't know about the Potato Famine of Ireland, it is an unbelievably sad and sickening thing to read up on. Whilst I highly recommend learning more about our history (and this event directly led to the mass immigration that helped develop the US and Australia into the countries they are today), the records, accounts, and photographs are detailed and frequently graphic. Please use your judgement when looking this up.

I was joking, humans are the source of humans problems...like always.

oh my god i typed scotland didn't i

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok phew i didn't lololol

- - - Post Merge - - -

That's like blaming the fleas for spreading the bubonic plague in the dark ages. It was a devasting, but natural, consequence of human actions and practices.

But the fleas did carry the plague. I think you meant to say rats, as they are the most often blamed. The fleas were on the rats and there were loads of rats in those days, the fleas bit the humans and because nobody could bloody see a flea, they blamed it on the rats. Although you can argue that the bubonic plague is indeed contagious, general medical practices then meant that you would stay inside anyway. (If your hands and feet begun to go black, you wouldn't go to work.) The only recent cases of the plague has been from animal bites.

And it's not like the Irish did anything wrong. If anything, it was the English (because ya **** the english) for taking so much land. But I guess they were at fault for living on an Irish diet of nothing but potato and beer.

oh my god i typed scotland didn't i

- - - Post Merge - - -

ok phew i didn't lololol

- - - Post Merge - - -

But the fleas did carry the plague. I think you meant to say rats, as they are the most often blamed. The fleas were on the rats and there were loads of rats in those days, the fleas bit the humans and because nobody could bloody see a flea, they blamed it on the rats. Although you can argue that the bubonic plague is indeed contagious, general medical practices then meant that you would stay inside anyway. (If your hands and feet begun to go black, you wouldn't go to work.) The only recent cases of the plague has been from animal bites.

And it's not like the Irish did anything wrong. If anything, it was the English (because ya **** the english) for taking so much land. But I guess they were at fault for living on an Irish diet of nothing but potato and beer.

I see what you mean, and I worded my comment poorly sorry. I did mean the fleas - though many people still think rats were the carriers.

But my broader point was that *blaming* the fleas is silly. Yes, fleas were carriers. That's how many diseases spread. Yes, potatoes and other crops can carry - and spread -diseases of their own. My point was in response to White Flamingo's comment which was (jokingly, though I missed that at the time) blaming the potatoes for the Potato Famine.

Human farming practices, the economy (such as it was for Ireland at the time), and especially the political situation, were the cause of the Blight becoming one of human history's most devasting famines. Potatoes were not the root cause, humanity was. (Sorry for the pun!)

Last edited:
(I never expected my happy St Patrick's Day thread would turn out to be the most controversial one i ever started here, lol.)

anyhow, for St. Patrick's Day, all i did to celebrate yesterday was have a shamrock shake, a shot of Jameson 18 year old whiskey (crieky that's one if the best whiskeys i've ever had), and a shot of ordinary Tullimore Dew which is still pretty good (and the Tullamore was in this cool ceramic jug). But soon imma head out to buy a corned beef brisket and some cabbages to slow cook, and then i'll also have a Smithwick's and a Guinness. I must confess, i also wore a green shirt, even though I'm not of Irish heritage and nobody was threatening to pinch me, I can't help it i've been conditioned/marketed here about wearing green on St. Patrick's Day my whole life.

oh, I did deck out me sidebar here with lucky Spring Shamrock collectibles, that counts as celebrating too doesn't it? :p

Back