• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Brainstorming: Brand new features for future games?

creamyy

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Leif
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
Lobo
Pavé
Jack
Tasty Cake
Nothing serious, just a bit of fun and sharing of ideas for possible future games and it can be as crazy and unrealistic as your imagination. I keep seeing threads about features you'd like to see in future games and a lot of them come up with the same responses which are basically things that could have been added in new leaf like choosing where your villagers go or bigger beaches but I would like to imagine a brand new game with newer features that sets it apart from previous titles.

For me I would like to view my town from different perspectives instead of everything facing the front and with that I would love to see in game photography. Yes you can take screenshots but that's not the same. Could you just imagine actual photographs zoomed in on bugs? Or maybe I would like to photograph a sunset over the beach. Expanding on this idea we could have a seperate tab like we have emotions as our photograph album or maybe an interactable furniture item like the instruction manual to store all our pictures and maybe somehow have these photos developed and made into something similar to villager pics.
ALSO: I wanna take selfies with my villagers. It would just feel more memorable and homely to have pictures with my villagers in my home rather than just having a picture of them like that's not weird or anything. I mean I love my friends but I don't have portraits of them on my bedside table.

Photography sounds amazing! Perhaps it could turn into a minigame of some sort? Or maybe you could donate your favorite photos to the museum to have them displayed in a new exhibit!

I always thought that getting a job would be pretty cool. The barista thing in ACNL is fun, but I really like the idea of working a shift at a store. Earning some extra bells and getting some nostalgia from the good ol' days of Tom Nook working you dry to pay off your first debt would be awesome. It could even be a spin-off like Happy Home Designer with less focus on a town to cloud up the new content. Imagine an adorable ACNL-style character choosing different career paths like a retail worker, chef, banker, ect.

Also, (completely unrealistic, bear with me) getting to BE an animal would be amazing. Even if we only got to choose from a select few species, it'd be worth it. Customizing fur color, eye stye, ect. sounds like an absolute blast. I've always kind of wondered what animal I'd create in this situation. To be honest, I'd probably be overwhelmed by the fantastic-ness of it all. :p

I would like vegetables. I love growing flowers, so having different kinds of things to take care of would be great.

I would like vegetables. I love growing flowers, so having different kinds of things to take care of would be great.

To add to this, I think adding a hunger level for yourself and your villagers would be fun. Not that they would starve and die if you don't feed them, but feeding them could them more happy and friendly toward you faster. Similar to Pokemon X & Y with the pokepuffs or whatever they're called.

*Edit - and for the playable characters, maybe eating could make them dig/hit rocks faster, run and walk faster, etc.

Last edited:
I would like more events, and for those events to have a real impact on the town - so if the mayor chooses option A, then the event happens differently to options B, or C. Maybe different PWPs are available depending on what you choose.

I would like there to be more choices and consequences available for the town generally, so that there is more variety in the landscape of towns. I feel like there are lots of simple yet creative ways we could have more things to customise without making things too convoluted (which would be quite a trick for AC, really).

I've actually written about this before. I feel like with the addition of "Happy Home Designer" they certainly were testing out features with that game, which to me means that they may be creating a new experience where either instead of mayor you're real estate agent again, or perhaps you're just able to actually help with the landscaping and zoning of houses. I always felt like it was a misfire to allow for us to decorate the town but then let the houses trample all over it. Ordinarily I wouldn't be too annoyed (which is such a strong word for what I'm actually feeling, which is next-to-nothing) if they hadn't let it go on for three games now. Maybe though they're really figuring it out! :D

I'd also love to see the overall mechanics of the interior decorating from HHD come to the next installment. It's nice being able to basically drag and drop on a grid and play around with more ceiling pieces like chandeliers. :3

I get real excited whenever I create an OC for this or a game like "Fantasy Life." It'd be really cool if one day we could have a game that encompasses the experiences of both - to some degree - and maybe sprinkle in Harvest Moon, and then make it a bit of an MMO. It doesn't have to be on the level of WoW, but just having the experience of choosing if you want to play in realms with many or just a few or none would be cool, but still have the character customize options and style of the ones I listed.

I feel like I bring this up in every thread, so I guess I'll have to keep up tradition and bring it up here, too ;)

But something to correspond the current time weather with the in game weather has been something I've wanted since City Folk (I mean, the Wii even had it's own Weather Channel, could have easily allowed the two to be synced up). Of course, as more and more time goes on, the idea seems less plausible, and obviously there are issues with it such as being in places where it rarely rains/snows, and being unable to complete the fish and bug journals, but obviously the feature would be optional and could be turned off at any time. I just always thought the game felt that much more special when it was raining in the real time, but then also raining in game. I doubt this will ever happen but I guy can dream.

Additionally, continuing on from Happy Home Designer, I'd love more of an actual camera item instead of just being able to take screenshots. Viewing the town/house from a first person perspective would add a new dimension to the game and would allow for some really neat pictures. Also with HHD, the fact they gave all Special NPC's an additional costume, I'd love for them to work these into the game somehow just to give those characters more personality.

a moveable camera and designing trousers or pants for y'all americanos

i saw this really cool idea someone made and they basically made all the fruit trees how they look irl. how cool would it be to have fruit trees that are diverse? instead of them all being light brown they could be different colors.

image.jpg

also of course tree size differences and being able to change the camera angle for simple ideas

I'd love to see a vacation mode, where you can take a villager with you to either an ocean or snow resort and stay there for a few days, doing activities and mini games and buying resort-only souvenirs. Oh, and bringing a villager could boost the friendship level a lot and invoke some special memory dialogue like "Hey, remember when we went on that trip? That was really fun!".

I'd also love to see more cultural PWPs, 'cause it'd be so cool to do a town based off another country.

a better grid and hit boxes/buffer areas. and a town layout mode that is similar to the HHD interface. then placing PWPs would be so much easier.
3D camera, as in we could twist and turn out camera outside as well.
multiple towns on one card (like, up to 3) but still able to have multiple characters for each.
stats with percentages. this would make collecting badges so much easier. blindly catching bugs to try to get 5000 doesn't do it for me lol.
a chance to make villagers "permanent". you love that character enough, he will ask you "hey, you think I should upgrade my house?" and you say yes and the next day he'll have a slightly bigger house or something this character will not move out unless you speak to Isabelle.
we should choose where villagers move in, since we are the mayor. we could set up signs just like in WW and create our own neighborhood areas if we want.

the list could go on and on, there is so much room for improvement with this game series, I personally feel like they keep it kind of bare (but the game still has a lot to it, of course)

Has anyone noticed that you can only go up to the year 2050? What if we reach 2051? It goes back to 2012? There will be children in 2051 that would like to play the game without going back to 2012. Also, I'd love to have Isabelle to work at the town hall 6 hours a day instead of 24/7. She deserves a break! How about the HDD home thing where you drop and drag furniture around instead of pushing it around?

please get rid of the rolling log world they have been having since wild world XD
while it was understandable to have iot back then, now the switch will be powerful enough to have a big town up and going normally XD
along with more flowers, fish, bug, personalities, trees, ect... XD
and no super money making island xD at least take out the hundreds of k each trip you can make xD

I personally would like the ability to have a full blown restaurant in town where you could sell fish and fruit to as well as work there. I think it would be fun making meals for my villagers. We have the cafe, but I want more.

I would also love to be able to do more with my villagers. I want to be able to initiate a game or a trip to the store together or some thing like that. I would love to be able to constantly host house parties with my villagers.

I actually don't understand why the cafe is called a 'cafe' in ACNL. A cafe is a place to buy food and drinks (not just coffee, but tea, juice and other things). If it were to only sell coffee, it's supposed to be called a 'coffee shop'. I guess Americans really like to make things their own, invent their own stuff however they want.

My little sister and I agree that there should be a brush item to brush your villager's hair out of bedhead (returning it to its last state) if you haven't played in a while, especially since this can happen without the salon in players' towns :3

I actually don't understand why the cafe is called a 'cafe' in ACNL. A cafe is a place to buy food and drinks (not just coffee, but tea, juice and other things). If it were to only sell coffee, it's supposed to be called a 'coffee shop'. I guess Americans really like to make things their own, invent their own stuff however they want.

That's not necessarily an 'American' thing, but also there are things like a storeroom and little shelves full of stuff usually behind Brewster that I'd imagine are made to look like they sell more, but due to the limitations of the games, they set it to just be a place you can get coffee - because that is a primary function of Brewster's barista job in the universe of the game.

It would be nice if they expanded the menu, but those types of features are usually kinda gratuitous because it's a virtual experience.

Having said that, HHD, to me, is an experimental phase of the series, introducing ideas that they could and probably are going to bring to future games. In this case, all of the shops you can design - the mall, the hotel, the restaurants, the cafes, etc. It all gives the opportunity for them to have real shopping mall experiences on your Main Street.

I think if they did a combination of the Street from "City Folk" (or "Let's Go to the City!") and the Main Street of "New Leaf" with the variety of experiences and structures you have to design in HHD, you could have such a bustling downtown/uptown that sits on the edge, or in, your village.

Edit: Just realized, it would be cool if you could choose between a bustling city - where all of the Main Street-like structures are in and around your town and the homes. (And you could maybe do apartment-style homes, too.) Or you could choose what there is now: smalltown/village with a city near it.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Having the opportunity to open up your own shop and ship villagers in game teheh

Back