• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Experience index for Animal Crossing New Leaf - A tentative measurement of completion

fischermasamune

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
A) INTRODUCTION

Dear majors and residents.

I was wondering how one could measure how advanced one is in the game, or how much one has experienced the game, using a number from 0 to 100. Let's call this number to be the "experience index of ACNL".

B) MOTIVATION

To be worthy of its name, I want the experience index to satisfy the following conditions:
1) It is an integer from 0 to 100. You start the game with 0 and may achieve 100.
2) It is tied to the in-game progress of a character as an inhabitant of a town. It only considers one character, which may or may not be the major. The experience index may be different for different residents in the same town, and may change if a person moves a character to another town.
3) It is non-decreasing: it's impossible to make it lower by playing (short of hacking). This means it cannot be tied to any particular furniture, clothing or tool, or be a demolish-able PWP.
4) Can be verified by a train visit to the town. That means it must be visible on the town, or inside a character house, or be based on the TPC. This rules out mannequins, which can be pocketed.
5) The maximum experience index could be obtained even before the Welcome Amiibo update, or any update or DLC.

C) DEFINITION

My idea to compute the experience index (in parentheses, the number of possible obtainable points):

(72) +1/+2/+3 for each bronze/silver/gold badge

(7) House upgrades: +1 for having a house instead of tent, +1 for maximized (8x8) room
(3) Consequences from upgrading house: +1 for Happy Home Academy, +1 for Happy Home Showcase, +1 from access to island

(4) Permanent PWPs: +1 for the Roost Cafe, +1 for Police Station, +1 for Campsite, +1 for Reset Surveillance Center
(5) Timmy & Tommy: 1 if you have Convenience Store (T&T Mart), 2 if you have Supermarket (Super T&T), 3 if you have Home Center (T.I.Y), 4 if you have Department Store (T&T Emporium). An extra +1 if you have access to Leif.
(3) Museum: +1 for complete art gallery, +1 for complete fossil gallery, +1 for second floor
(6) Others on Main Street: +1 for Kicks, +1 for Dream Suite, +1 for the Fortune Teller, +1 for Shampoodle, +1 for Club LOL, +1 for the sewing machine inside Able Sisters

Total: 100

D) PERSONAL EXAMPLE
I have 5 bronze badges (+5), 9 silver badges (+18) and 7 gold badges (+21). For the other 28 points, I only miss the Reset Surveillance Center and the completed art gallery, so +26. Therefore, my experience index of the game (for my character and town) is 5+18+21+26=70.

E) DISCUSSION
Other links discussing the concept of completion:
http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?269115-100-Completion-ACNL
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997811-animal-crossing-new-leaf/65550929

I welcome suggestions for improvement of the experience index, and general discussion of it. I also encourage people to post their experience indexes. Does anyone have 100? Let the community know!

It sounds like a fun idea, though I'm quite content with landscaping my town to gun down for those numbers :p.
You put a lot of thought and effort into this so nice job :)! Hmm, what about the badges that aren't exactly possible to get (without a second 3/2DS)? I have yet to recieve a streetpass since the update. I'll grab my 3DS later when it's done charging and then I'll tally up my score.

Main town mayor is 100.
Guest town mayor is 100.

I've been playing since the release and still find things to do or change in my towns.
Goals is to complete all my extra players badges now.

I think you weigh the badges too heavily. They make up 72% of your index which is too much when you consider that many of them require mindless, repetitive tasks to earn. Your index doesn't capture all aspects of "completion" either. The gold catalog badge only requires 80% of your catalog to be complete, but a true completionist should go for a 100% catalog. It also doesn't account for unlocking every PWP in the game. While your index is simple to calculate because it only uses whole numbers, I think it would be better to award fractions of points for each item in the catalog or each PWP unlocked for example.

Edit: I didn't see the "visible to visitors" part. If you want to stick with that requirement, then I'd triple the non-badge points and divide the badge points by 3 and alter some numbers so that the highest possible total is still 100. So non-badge stuff would be worth up to 76 points and badge stuff would make up the remaining 24 (1 point for each gold, with silver being worth 2/3 points, and bronze being worth 1/3).

Last edited:
Main town mayor is 100.
Guest town mayor is 100.

I've been playing since the release and still find things to do or change in my towns.
Goals is to complete all my extra players badges now.

I've been playing since release too, but I don't have wifi and that prevents me from being able to get a lot of the badges. My score is about 80 on my own (I lost track of the exact score). Darn badges.

I think you weigh the badges too heavily. They make up 72% of your index which is too much when you consider that many of them require mindless, repetitive tasks to earn. Your index doesn't capture all aspects of "completion" either. The gold catalog badge only requires 80% of your catalog to be complete, but a true completionist should go for a 100% catalog. It also doesn't account for unlocking every PWP in the game. While your index is simple to calculate because it only uses whole numbers, I think it would be better to award fractions of points for each item in the catalog or each PWP unlocked for example.

Certainly there's more to it, but some goals, like having 100% catalog, are hard and lenghty to measure. There are other things like having all events and all.

Edit: I didn't see the "visible to visitors" part. If you want to stick with that requirement, then I'd triple the non-badge points and divide the badge points by 3 and alter some numbers so that the highest possible total is still 100. So non-badge stuff would be worth up to 76 points and badge stuff would make up the remaining 24 (1 point for each gold, with silver being worth 2/3 points, and bronze being worth 1/3).

I think it makes sense too. But I would say that some badges come from repetitive tasks (like the weeding one; I'm still impressed by the person above who did it twice) while others come from different experiences you have (different dreams, listening to many K.K. songs, buying different furniture, completing the encyclopedia). Perhaps one could have different weights for each badge, at the risk of making the "index" harder to compute.

Certainly there's more to it, but some goals, like having 100% catalog, are hard and lenghty to measure. There are other things like having all events and all.

I think it makes sense too. But I would say that some badges come from repetitive tasks (like the weeding one; I'm still impressed by the person above who did it twice) while others come from different experiences you have (different dreams, listening to many K.K. songs, buying different furniture, completing the encyclopedia). Perhaps one could have different weights for each badge, at the risk of making the "index" harder to compute.

I would weigh the badges differently. The catalog, encyclopedia, bell saver, shopping, HHA, time played, and maybe turnip profit badges are the only ones which really represent accomplishments in my opinion. The other badges are just repetitive tasks which people only do for the sake of earning the badge. There are a lot of other ways to experience the game than just earning badges, and about 60% of your experience score is based on earning the kinds of badges which most players won't even try for because they are so boring and they don't really care about badges. Stuff like listening to K.K. songs and earning island medals is part of the experience, but no one is going to do that kind of stuff in the volume required to get the gold badges unless they really want the badges. You should make the badges I listed above worth more points because they represent stuff which most players actually do, and make the gold badges for all of the other stuff worth only 1 point. You should award more points for expanding the house and upgrading Nook's since those are major accomplishments for most players. You should also allocate more points for the museum.

Back