Flower Glow Wand
Heart Glow Wand
Chocolate Cake
Peach (Fruit)
Sakura Easter Egg
Candy Easter Egg
Pikachu Easter Egg
Easter Egg
I played new leaf constantly for around two years now but lately I feel like I'm burnt out. I have 5 copies of the game and it's making it too much to handle, though I do love my towns. My question is how long have you had a break from playing AC? Is there any advice you can give me to get back into the game? I truly adore it but I have no motivation atm plus I work full time!

Have you had this experience before?

I take about a 3 month break with a lil' check in once during that break, then I'll see or do something that will remind me of AC and I'll go back to playing it. I used the fact that I want to earn all badges and completed my encyclopedia to motivate me to get back into the game.

i actually stopped playing completely for a year and got on with my busy life, eventually i found the game randomly and i decided to play it again. i got addicted however i restarted my town that i worked on for 3 years since i wasn't happy enough with it, this lead to me getting really bored of the game and i felt no motivation since i kept on restarting and starting over is tough. i didn't touch the game for around 4 months because of this and i created another town but this time i'm really happy with it. i think i'm getting a little tired of it again but i don't think i'm going to have another long break from ACNL.

Two years break and focusing in other things. When i came back, the motivation was that i actually fixing my town.

If you want to take a break without losing anything, play once a week. So that day you can take care of that daily things in your towns and maybe with the time the break become more easy to you.

I've taken several breaks over the last couple of years. Once because I was student teaching, and for a few months last year because not only did I get a full time teaching job, but my dog got cancer and had to go through chemo, and both combined was a massive time-suck that destroyed what semblance of free-time I had. I'm finally getting back into ACNL though, since I've been working on Canimia, and that inspired me to pick up (and hopefully finish) my other 3 towns.

If you're not opposed to time-traveling, I would write down the date at which each of your towns were last played and put AC away indefinitely. Don't take it out because of guilt. Only take it out when you think "I miss my town!" When you want to play, TT back to the last played date and go from there. In my experience, nothing kills the fun of AC faster than forcing yourself to play it. If I take breaks to play other games from time to time, I always find that I want to come back to AC after a few weeks or months.

I've taken 3-6 month breaks with animal crossing before. I couldn't manage two towns let along five my goodness!
When I don't feel motivated to play I usually try to quit having goals for awhile and just chill out around town.

I've taken 3-6 month breaks with animal crossing before. I couldn't manage two towns let along five my goodness!
When I don't feel motivated to play I usually try to quit having goals for awhile and just chill out around town.

One thing I do is catch bugs and fish and get new record sizes, something everyone overlooks.

I have 5 plus towns and find it helpful to stop a mover in most of the towns. Write the date downs and than just play my main town.
Find it relaxing to just play one. If I get a move request early I have the option of quitting early, playing as a different player or hang with the villagers

If I have some spare time I open one of my frozen towns on the date last played and continue until I get a mover. If I'm tired of playing the extra town I freeze it again.

Personally I'm in the middle of taking a new leaf break at the moment. i dont know when ill go back but after owning the games for almost 4 years and playing nonstop i've gotten tired of it. At the moment I've been playing City Folk again pretty frequently and i am preferring it over new leaf.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Personally I'm in the middle of taking a new leaf break at the moment. i dont know when ill go back but after owning the games for almost 4 years and playing nonstop i've gotten tired of it. At the moment I've been playing City Folk again pretty frequently and i am preferring it over new leaf.

Last edited:
One thing I do is catch bugs and fish and get new record sizes, something everyone overlooks.

Not everyone.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If I take a hiatus that is a week or more, I may as well just pack 'em up and store 'em. I know from past experience, that is always the way. I'll move on to the next.... whatever captures my interest.

If you wanna take a break but you don't want villagers to move, stop one villager from moving, save and quit. Then no one will move until you play again. C:

I took almost a year long break from animal crossing. If the game isn't fun for you, then it isn't worth playing. Your free time is precious and you should spend it on something that you enjoy! For me, I got too busy with life to really keep up with AC. When it got really stressful I picked up the game again, wiped my old town and started fresh! It's been really fun so far because now it's a stress reliever instead of a stress-giver. You can always look in the activity log when you decide to pick it up again!

I usually play for about three or four months, and then get bored and take a three or four month break. I just started playing again at the end of January or early February (can't remember when, but around that time lol) after taking a break in October, and only picking up my game to update in November between that time. I take breaks like this all of the time though

I take breaks for months at a time. If you don't want to lose villagers, save and quit immediately after one asks to move and you say no. That way no matter how long you go without playing no one will move out.

Oops, I just saw that Corrie already mentioned that...

Last edited:
Uhh. In total I had like. A year or so break. >_> It's bad. I burned myself with basically one copy. Although I had a digital copy because I was going to try cycling or just have an alternative town, I left that copy at my parent's house. XD Far across the country. Hahaha.

Anyways, to get back to it, I actually burned myself out on my favorite, most passionate series: Pokemon. ._.

Last time I took a break, it lasted over a year. And that was just after playing 4 months. I actually don't feel quite as motivated now because I've run out of ideas, but I'm trying to keep going because I want to finish by the time the cherry blossoms are in bloom. Once I've finished, I'm going to quit playing in favour of the many other games I haven't finished yet. And if AC switch comes out by the time I'm done with those, then I'd probably never go back to ACNL unless it's just for nostalgia's sake and I want to explore.

I only have one copy. A digital download. When I take a break, I just go play another game. Like yo-kai, Todachi Life, Fantasy Life (DLC) ( everything here can take quite a while) Terraria ,don't get me started I can be here forever. I also have Nitndogs (ds version) & Nitendogs & Cats which I barley even played. I usually just play TS4 (The Sims 4), as that is my favorite game and I have TS1,2,3 & 4 on my computer. I have a Wii & a Wii U. So I have a grand choice of games to pick from. I also have ACCF. So my break is just another game to come back here, to go to another game

Sometimes I take month long breaks from my game. Although I still like to visit forums, the AC community, and see cute screenshots I am currently on break from my towns. It sort of just happened, I come and go unplanned. But I do make sure none of my villagers move out before I stop playing because it would kill me to walk in on a missing villager. ACNL 4 LlFE (with undetermined time breaks)!

Back