• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Dislike Button

pinkcotton

Pray For The Wicked
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Purple Violet
White Violet
White Lily
White Rose
White Tulip
White Cosmos
I think there should be a dislike button. I mean, if you disagree with someone, you could just click "dislike" instead of creating a argument. Or if you just don't like what someone posted, you can dislike.

Agree.
This would probably make things here easier. :eek:

I don't know. I think if someone disagreed with me, I would want to know why. A dislike button could potentially make people feel bad, and if you really don't like what they said, I think you should have to go to the extra effort of replying. That weeds out people who just kind of disagree from the people who feel the need to comment. If you have the option to dislike, The poster will be left wondering what about their comment was wrong.

I think people would post regardless tbh. If someone wants to start an argument they're just gonna do it anyways.

Also like Skylar said, even if you don't like the opposing side it's often necessary to hear their side and why they think in whatever way.

A dislike button would only serve to further increase unnecessary drama and discourage users. You guys use disliking arguments as an example, but what about other posts and threads? Someone asking a question that while easily searchable, they post a thread asking it and instead gets a lot of dislikes because others don't like it. I feel that would just bring about some of those negative mob mentalities that communities like Youtube and Reddit have sometimes.

Not to mention could you imagine the What Do You Look Like thread or peoples' Museum galleries...

Yikes.

I dunno if it would increase abuse/discouragement, coz people already do this in a passive-agressive way by hitting the Like button on response posts that argue with, criticize, or diminish somebody else's post, or by hitting the Like button on a staff post admonishing somebody. Perhaps more people would hit dislike on a given response post/staff admonishment post, if it were available, and then the origonal poster wouldnt feel as bad as they do in the current format. (seriously, we need a dislike button for some of the awful puns that get posted if nothing else....)

this would allow one to abuse their power, and this would not change spam at all

I agree with this. I always thought it would be better if we had a like and dislike button.

Maybe more people should rate threads, since that allows for one to five stars, so if you only care about the thread as a whole, you can be negative there. :)

The forum I used to go on had a dislike button and people misused it and also complained when someone disliked their post. It was quite a trainwreck and many people got butthurt over it. (It was entertaining to watch tbh). They still kept it though, which was funny and eventually as the newness of it wore off, nobody used it anymore.

Honestly, I'm fine either way, although I can see situations where a group of close friends/squad all disliking posts at once. The butthurt would be 👌🍿but I can see it causing more harm than anything.

I'm shocked though at how no one seems to know how to rate threads

I feel like a dislike feature would be harmful. If you disagree with someone's post, then you can respectfully explain why you disagree with it. If you can't do that, then just ignore it.

I feel like a dislike feature would be harmful. If you disagree with someone's post, then you can respectfully explain why you disagree with it. If you can't do that, then just ignore it.

But won't that start an argument leading to an eventual thread lock?

But won't that start an argument leading to an eventual thread lock?

Only if people don't know how to behave. People can disagree without being combative. In reality, being able to just hit dislike on a person's post without explaining yourself is more combative than actually saying why you don't like or agree with it.

Last edited:
I sure as hell know I would hate every single one of you who disliked any of my posts ever for I am a lovely

Only if people don't know how to behave. People can disagree without being combative. In reality, being able to just hit dislike on a person's post without explaining yourself is more combative than actually saying why you don't like or agree with it.

You do have a point there! ^_^

If we have a like button, why not a dislike button?

There's a like button so people don't make pointless posts like "That's funny!" or "I totally agree with that."

With disliking it's a different story, as a "dislike" can be a passive-aggressive way of trying to say you think someone is stupid or to make some other kind of personal statement. Like I said before, if you have a real reason to disagree with someone, you should just post it and if you don't have a real reason, then you should just ignore their posts. A dislike button would likely just serve as a way to subtly make personal attacks while avoiding infractions.

Ok I know this is Really Lame but perhaps because positivity is a better thing to spread than negativity, especially on a site with lots of children on it.

A dislike button would start more arguments than anything. I could imagine people getting deeply offended and starting flame wars over VM or PM titled "Why did you dislike?!?!"
Much more unnecessary drama.

Back