• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Who else gets annoyed by lowballers? 🙄

Abbaba

Rons got himself a howler
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Poptart Easter Egg
Is it just me that finds it really annoying when people lowball other people?
Some threads will say PWYW or "offer since I don't know how to price things" and some people take that chance to just save themselves some tbt and, to me, just don't respect other people, a lot of this happens in the museum. There's some really good artists out there and when they have a PWYW shop others offer things like 50 tbt or 75 or maybe even less.
And I know it's not really my place to say what people should or shouldn't be paying so I don't say anything but overall I just find it disrespectful and I think I think it's just me that gets really annoyed by it tbh ��

Last edited:
I can understand your point of view but what if the person can't afford hundreds of TBT for one piece of art? Artists make more profit off of many cheaper pieces of art rather than a few expensive pieces, because more people want to buy it.

Honestly I don't know if I'd rather have a lowballer or someone who asks for a price when your thread says "Offer, don't ask for a price" in bold text.

I can understand your point of view but what if the person can't afford hundreds of TBT for one piece of art? Artists make more profit off of many cheaper pieces of art rather than a few expensive pieces, because more people want to buy it.

Then save up. A lot of art is worth way more than a few hundred of this useless virtual currency anyways.
Also more people wanting to buy =/= more people being able to afford it. I want to buy a lot of art, I don't because I don't have money. Regardless, artists should never sell themselves short just because it'd be what others can afford.

I don't buy art on this site, so I don't know much about that. I think when some sellers tell the buyer to make an offer, it's not that the seller is naive and doesn't know how much his/her stuff is worth, but that the seller is hoping the buyer doesn't know how much stuff is worth and will overpay. I notice a lot of newer members pay way too much for stuff on "make an offer" threads. If you don't want low-ball offers, then just set prices for stuff yourself.

Some of those "low-ballers" probably don't know that they are low-balling. They might not fully grasp how much TBT is worth, and they think that what they are offering is actually fair. I think that instead of getting mad at them, just let them know what the standard price is. Hell, I don't even know how much art is worth in TBT, since I've never successfully bought art (except for my avatar, but that was a set price). Most of the time, the artist never ends up making my art anyway.. However, I do always tip extra when I get something, depending on how satisfied I am and how nice the artist is. So the key is to not just assume that the low-ballers are always trying to cheat artists, and consider that maybe they are inexperienced and don't understand what is fair. Just help them make a better offer by educating them :)

It bothers me when people accept the lowball offers. Stop encouraging it.

There's nothing wrong with people selling stuff for less than it's worth. TBT's economy is mostly a free-market economy, and if a seller agrees to sell something for less than it's "worth", then the seller basically agrees with the buyer that the goods being sold are not worth that much. In cases where both the buyer and seller have no idea how much stuff is worth, you're going to end up with some lopsided trades and it's just something that happens.

I once tried to create a "valuation" thread to help newer users determine how much stuff is worth, but no one wanted to help me so it died.

Last edited:

They're not "encouraging" anything. They're accepting what they think is fair for their art. They probably either care less about the price or they're just being nice.

i don't necessarily get annoyed. they just haven't learned/gotten educated about it. or they're new, and they need the little shove in the right direction. if they don't have tbt, they could always save up if they really want it, like it takes time to make a beautiful art piece look good. on the flip side, the artist may have no idea how good their art is and accept every offer because they don't understand the correlation between money and tbt. it's all about how educated one is about tbt and its uses, not because the said person wants to be disrespectful.

if the said artist also wants proper offers, they could always put it on the op and also i think a lot of people will remind the said lowball-er if the price is too low.

They're not "encouraging" anything. They're accepting what they think is fair for their art. They probably either care less about the price or they're just being nice.

There's nothing wrong with people selling stuff for less than it's worth. TBT's economy is mostly a free-market economy, and if a seller agrees to sell something for less than it's "worth", then the seller basically agrees with the buyer that the goods being sold are not worth that much. In cases where both the buyer and seller have no idea how much stuff is worth, you're going to end up with some lopsided trades and it's just something that happens.

I once tried to create a "valuation" thread to help newer users determine how much stuff is worth, but no one wanted to help me so it died.

While you both are correct, when people's lowball offers get accepted, they then think they can lowball others too which is what I guess is one of the reasons why lowballing happens so frequently now. It hurts the people who are trying to sell their art for a good price.

While I agree that some people overcharge for their art, people take a look at it and think well gee, I can get good art cheap from this shop, so they'll go to that shop instead and the other person suffers so then they are forced to either give in and lower their prices or close up shop. I like not having a few shops monopolizing the "market" but at the same time, I want artists getting paid what they deserve.

This is just the internet though, so who cares right, but still.

I would never accept any less or more for my art than what I have listed as the price. Take it or leave it. Don't need nor want your business if you're going to try and be a cheat.

It's between whoever is selling and whoever is buying...

Last edited:
While I agree that some people overcharge for their art, people take a look at it and think well gee, I can get good art cheap from this shop, so they'll go to that shop instead and the other person suffers so then they are forced to either give in and lower their prices or close up shop. I like not having a few shops monopolizing the "market" but at the same time, I want artists getting paid what they deserve.

To be fair, that's kinda how running any shop works. If someone can provide something good for cheaper then they'll obviously go to that one. Especially considering many people on TBT cant afford to spend much over 1k if that on art to begin with. It sucks but that's just how it is really, until the TBT economy can stop being so slow.

To be fair, that's kinda how running any shop works. If someone can provide something good for cheaper then they'll obviously go to that one. Especially considering many people on TBT cant afford to spend much over 1k if that on art to begin with. It sucks but that's just how it is really, until the TBT economy can stop being so slow.

That's true. I've seen a major increase in TBT's worth over a few years and I see it with art and even Animal Crossing items. tbh I don't see how selling those things make a lot of TBT anymore, unless you put in a ridiculous amount of effort. The effort, to me, doesn't seem worth it anymore. But you are right, it is kinda nice not to see the overchargement of art anymore. I just want people to get paid fairly which probably won't happen for a while as you've said due to the economy.

It is pretty annoying when people lowball (not with just art, but everything), but TBT is worth a lot more now than it was a couple years ago. I mean, as long as the artist/seller is getting paid and they're happy with the amount, then I don't see the problem.

I legit don't know when I'm lowballing. I always say I'm not good at prices, and if I'm way too low, to tell me. I don't do it to "save bells."

I dislike artists who overcharge and people pay because they're popular T____T I prefer low-ballers tbh, even if they do the opposite and undercharge ;;

I legit don't know when I'm lowballing. I always say I'm not good at prices, and if I'm way too low, to tell me. I don't do it to "save bells."

This is me. I'm great with actual money, not working out the intricacies of TBT conversions.

I agree with this. I'm not really familiar with how the art community works on here, but if someone's lowballing, the artist has every right to turn them down if they feel it's not enough. In some cases, people probably don't know they're lowballing so the artist can simply tell them they'd like more and both parties can work things out.

Thinking about it, I dislike people who overprice things knowingly way more than people who lowball tbh.

Back