• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Job interview tips?

made08

Rezzz Rep of Sunshine 😎🌞
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3703-5164-8227
Tasty Cake
I'm up for a job at my university where I would be working the orientations. My interview is one week from today and I'm nervous as hell. Any advice for me? (For the interview and also for stress/nerves management)

I hate interviews because you have to sell yourself and I'm really honest and don't express myself much.

So a word of advice, don't try to rehearse it like a speech, be confident in yourself and show those interviewers that you are the only one who can get the job!!!

Pretty terrible advice from someone who got a job by knowing someone who's parents got me the job...

Good luck though you can do it!!!

.Know answers to the obvious questions.
Mentally prepare answers to questions like "tell me about yourself." or "tell me about a time when..." That way you won't lag and freak out.
.Research their company.
They may ask something about their company and to show you care, you should be able to answer it.
.Make your answers around what they're looking for in an employee.
If they want someone outgoing, make sure to brag about how outgoing and friendly you are. Obviously don't lie though.
.Be around 10-15 mins early.
Being early looks good.

c:

.Research their company.
They may ask something about their company and to show you care, you should be able to answer it.

This is the best advice we can give you. Researching the company goes such a long way in an interview. I've gotten every single job I've interviewed for when I researched the company. It shows that you put an effort into learning about them, and that you really want that particular job, rather than just mass-distributing your resume and hoping for the best. Learn their company motto, history, anything that sets them apart from others.

Be confident and be prepared. Don't memorise your answers verbatim, but definitely have the points you want your answer to have in mind for every possible question. This prevents long awkward pauses and "ummms..." Good luck!

.Know answers to the obvious questions.
Mentally prepare answers to questions like "tell me about yourself." or "tell me about a time when..." That way you won't lag and freak out.
.Research their company.
.Make your answers around what they're looking for in an employee.
If they want someone outgoing, make sure to brag about how outgoing and friendly you are. Obviously don't lie though.
.Be around 10-15 mins early.
Being early looks good.

c:

Yeah, honestly do not listen to my advice. I'm waaaaaaaaayyyyy too casual and laid back to do any of this ^-^

Everyone besides me have spot on advice :)

Last edited:
Yeah, honestly do not listen to my advice. I'm waaaaaaaaayyyyy too casual and laid back to do any of this ^-^

Everyone besides me have spot on advice :)

Don't feel bad!! I have really low self confidence and think that no company could ever benefit from my "skills" so I find it really hard to talk well about myself. ^^; So I know what you're talking about.

All great tips. One thing I would like to add is that they will most likely ask you what your flaws are/what you can improve on. Try to think of what your answer would be so that you're not stalling. And then try to turn it into a positive or say that you have been working to improve it by doing such and such. Good luck!! :)

All great tips. One thing I would like to add is that they will most likely ask you what your flaws are/what you can improve on. Try to think of what your answer would be so that you're not stalling. And then try to turn it into a positive or say that you have been working to improve it by doing such and such. Good luck!! :)

Yesssss! Do this! Just avoid using "I'm a perfectionist." since everybody and their mom uses that one.

I'd suggest a firm handshake, eye contact, and speaking as if you already belong there. I deal with anxiety myself, but I don't allow that to interfere with speaking eloquently with the interviewer. They're human, just like me. I don't see position when I talk. I speak to them like I would a grandparent, friend, co-worker, etc. Always respectful in a tasteful way. Asking them questions about why they wanted to work there, history of the place, their strengths, etc. "Selling yourself" is just about being authentic to who you are. Just be yourself.

Last edited:
There were some great answers on the previous page.

Come prepared. Bring your own pen or pencil and a writing pad.

Research the role you're going to do, research the business/campus, research general interview questions and have answers ready but also be ready to modify your answers and be ope to curve balls. Answer the questions with confidence.

Arrive early and go over questions in your head again and quickly remind yourself of the main goals of the company that you learned from your reasearch.

Be ready to say why you want to work there based on your research. "Because I need the money!" Won't do in most places :p but also keep in mind that an interview is a conversation. Be professional, but also remember the interviewer is just another person trying to get to know you.

There's already a lot of good information from others. I would add to ask questions. Remember that you're also interviewing them to see if the job is a right fit for you. If you get a bad vibe or get an inappropriate interviewer, don't ignore it.

Good luck! :)

My advice is pretty contradictory and I wouldn't advise it, especially since I'm one of the few people that seems to be able to consistently pull off the "just turn up and 'wing it'" approach.

But even then, the way I feign show confidence in my performances interviews is probably the big selling point. Whenever I've gotten feedback from an interview, confidence is always one of the things they mention. I'm not confident in that situation at all (or most 'social' situations), I'm just pretty good at faking it, and seeming confident nets you a lot of points.

There's already a lot of good information from others. I would add to ask questions. Remember that you're also interviewing them to see if the job is a right fit for you. If you get a bad vibe or get an inappropriate interviewer, don't ignore it.

So much this. I had an interviewer who made me feel like total trash in the interview and it really shot down my confidence for a good while, especially since he for some reason got pretty personal.

I was offered the job, but I told him to shove it (I think my words were "you can ****ing keep it, mate"). If they have people like that doing the interviews, the first person an employee is likely going to meet in that company, I wouldn't even want to know what the rest of the company is like. I would and did take unemployment over that.

Thank you all so much for the amazing tips! I just got out of the interview and I think it went really well!!! :')

Know that it's okay to be nervous. I'm sure everyone gets like that before their interview, even ones with confidence. Just be sure you dress professionally, give them a firm handshake, and make eye contact during the interview. Maybe you could even practice with a close friend of family member before the interview. Best of luck! You'll do great I'm sure of it! :)

Back