• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you eat meat?

Do you eat meat?

• Total voters
Yep, horse meat. Horse meat is in a lot of cuisines around the world even though it's "taboo" in the states. Before I had it for the first time I went through the typical moral questioning of whether or not it's wrong to eat them, but in the end I eat it for the same reason I eat chicken, beef, or fish. I think it's normal for people to feel disgusted since they fall close to the line of "domesticated animals" (like cats or dogs that have been bred to be companions). However, horses are found in the wild as well and are farmed and grazed just like cows. Of course it's wrong to sell a "beef burger" and call it that but in reality it's actually horse meat. That's just deception. Rabbit meat is also a very sustainable food source... they reproduce like crazy, compost your farm, eat food that are not useful to humans, take up little space to farm, and they are very delicious. Sometimes I do think twice about eating animals, especially knowing how a lot of farms treat them. That's why I don't drink milk anymore and don't eat much cheese and I have months where I wont eat meat at all. But in the end I do enjoy the taste, so I still eat it.

A lot of milk is actually got pus in it because the udders on female cows get infected from overbreeding aka raping the cow and taking her child away and killing it just for milk.

I remember when PETA did that advert where they gave people on the street dog's milk and told them it was cow's milk, everyone was disgusted and threw their glasses and called her a sick ****ing ***** and stuff, basically kept cussing the lady out. But the point was that we do the exact same with cows. We torture them to the point where our milk isn't even clean just because "cheese is too good" or "milk is my weakness".... like ?????? We don't even need milk.

I don't care if anyone eats meat or not, as whenever I try to make a point that a lot of vegetables have protein to substantially live off of, I get shot down that they don't exist and slaughter = good for us. And radical vegans make us look bad.

A lot of milk is actually got pus in it because the udders on female cows get infected from overbreeding aka raping the cow and taking her child away and killing it just for milk.

I remember when PETA did that advert where they gave people on the street dog's milk and told them it was cow's milk, everyone was disgusted and threw their glasses and called her a sick ****ing ***** and stuff, basically kept cussing the lady out. But the point was that we do the exact same with cows. We torture them to the point where our milk isn't even clean just because "cheese is too good" or "milk is my weakness".... like ?????? We don't even need milk.

I don't care if anyone eats meat or not, as whenever I try to make a point that a lot of vegetables have protein to substantially live off of, I get shot down that they don't exist and slaughter = good for us. And radical vegans make us look bad.

Yeah I don't drink milk anymore precisely because of that. But I mean people who eat meat mostly eat it because they like it... I don't think anyone is thrilled about the way they are slaughtered. It's really no one's business who eats meat or not, as long as everyone is respectful of people's decisions and are open to discussion. I also know vegetarians and vegans who argue with me against eating meat yet turn a blind eye to consuming products made by palm oil which is effectively wiping out all our rainforests in South East Asia... But anyways you're right, there are tons of vegetarian and vegan options that can substitute for protein in meat. My favourite being Tempeh... sooo good <3

Been a vegetarian for over 2 years now, I honestly haven't missed eating meat once during that time. I wasn't a huge meat lover anyway so that's probably why it's been so easy for me, but hey ho.

Quorn is great, especially as I usually feel bad that my mum has to prepare two separate meals (since everyone else in my house eats meat), and so having something to substitute in instead of making a whole other dish for me is a lifesaver sometimes. Falafels make for great sandwich and burger fillers too with loads of salad!

I was raised vegan as a child.

That is so interesting! I've never met anyone who's been vegan or vegetarian for literally all their life.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It was one certain shop that did it cough tesco a few years ago. I don't know why anybody would eat rabbit or beaver or horse anyway, imo it should be illegal. But to each of their own.

I find it so interesting that some people pick which animals they think are gross or not gross to eat. Why should it be illegal to eat a rabbit or horse but not a cow or pig? What makes the difference for you guys--which animals would you eat, and which would you never eat? I genuinely am curious and I hope this doesn't come off as sassy or anything haha, there's no judgement here I just want to continue this great discussion we're all having!

I mean I'm thinking of going back to vegetarian as i just really don't enjoy meat anymore. It also doesn't make me feel good if that makes sense lol. As well as being pretty disgusted with how animals are treated. Yet I don't have a problem with people I associate eating meat as I feel everything should be a personal choice. Yeah you can put your opinions and views out there to encourage people but forcefulness isn't going to solve anything. People are just put off by that.

I saw the subject of horse and rabbit come up. In some parts of Australia, more country areas, it's completely common to be eating rabbit or even kangaroo. Both I couldn't ever do, I find it very odd. Also horse that's more of like a european thing isn't it?

Yeah I don't drink milk anymore precisely because of that. But I mean people who eat meat mostly eat it because they like it... I don't think anyone is thrilled about the way they are slaughtered. It's really no one's business who eats meat or not, as long as everyone is respectful of people's decisions and are open to discussion. I also know vegetarians and vegans who argue with me against eating meat yet turn a blind eye to consuming products made by palm oil which is effectively wiping out all our rainforests in South East Asia... But anyways you're right, there are tons of vegetarian and vegan options that can substitute for protein in meat. My favourite being Tempeh... sooo good <3

Yeah, I believe that people should be presented with the facts but should also be allowed to believe what they want and make their own decisions, rather than forcing something down their throat.

I believe some mushrooms are a great source of protein for vegetarians, like the ones used in Quorn. Beans do too. And Tempeh and Tofu are amazing!

- - - Post Merge - - -

That is so interesting! I've never met anyone who's been vegan or vegetarian for literally all their life.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I find it so interesting that some people pick which animals they think are gross or not gross to eat. Why should it be illegal to eat a rabbit or horse but not a cow or pig? What makes the difference for you guys--which animals would you eat, and which would you never eat? I genuinely am curious and I hope this doesn't come off as sassy or anything haha, there's no judgement here I just want to continue this great discussion we're all having!

Idk, people can eat what they like but I don't think horses should be slaughtered for meat. I don't think there's a lot of cuts in horse that we can actually eat, like how beef and sheep have parts that we can't/shouldn't eat, but everything in a pig is edible (personally I don't think pork should be eaten at all but :/ what can ya do). Here in the UK there's a big taboo around eating horsemeat as they're generally used for sports and more commonly kept as pets/for sport purposes. And the Tesco scandal with their beef being horsemeat really put people off it. Not only that, but it is generally hard to find unless you look hard enough and regular butchershops don't really stock horse. It'd be like killing your dog and eating it. How do you decide with what meat you should and should not eat? It's mainly to the person's perspective.

Then again, I believe if it is capable of living a healthy life as a pet and without harming anybody, it can be used for other purposes instead of being born to die and there is enough space to accommodate said animals in that way, it shouldn't be killed for meat.

main-qimg-bfeebd7cc3ba01562f739955ea4e460d-c
I know it's become a meme, but it makes a good point. Where do you draw the line?

- - - Post Merge - - -

People are gonna eat meat regardless, people are gonna eat dogs and cats regardless. But if you're gonna kill dogs and cats for eating in a festival, at least bring your own pets rather than snatching other people's beloved pets to be eaten by a total stranger as street food.

It was one certain shop that did it cough tesco a few years ago. I don't know why anybody would eat rabbit or beaver or horse anyway, imo it should be illegal. But to each of their own.

Unless you're vegan / vegetarian, that's a very strange way of thinking
Why should some animals be allowed to be eaten, but others not? What makes a beaver more worthy of living than a pig or cow lmao
I can't understand

Unless you're vegan / vegetarian, that's a very strange way of thinking
Why should some animals be allowed to be eaten, but others not? What makes a beaver more worthy of living than a pig or cow lmao
I can't understand

I am vegan, so I don't think any animals should be eaten for meat. There's a stigma around eating beaver, horse, rabbit, ect.

I am vegan, so I don't think any animals should be eaten for meat. There's a stigma around eating beaver, horse, rabbit, ect.

That's good haha

This just reminds me... I don't know if anyone has seen the video... but it's where people off the street try dog milk without knowing? After they've been told, they all freak out and act disgusted, which honestly makes no sense imo lmao

That's good haha

This just reminds me... I don't know if anyone has seen the video... but it's where people off the street try dog milk without knowing? After they've been told, they all freak out and act disgusted, which honestly makes no sense imo lmao

Ya I saw the video, PETA is a bit crazy lol. But the point of the video was, if we're drinking cow's milk for no reason other than that we like it, why don't we drink dog's milk or cat's milk or *insert other animal other than cow bc disgusting*'s milk? The lady who was giving it out even got spat on by one bloke lol. It's a bit of a rubbish way of arguing their point, and nobody really listened to what she said afterwards, but it makes a point at least.

I mean I'm thinking of going back to vegetarian as i just really don't enjoy meat anymore. It also doesn't make me feel good if that makes sense lol. As well as being pretty disgusted with how animals are treated. Yet I don't have a problem with people I associate eating meat as I feel everything should be a personal choice. Yeah you can put your opinions and views out there to encourage people but forcefulness isn't going to solve anything. People are just put off by that.

I saw the subject of horse and rabbit come up. In some parts of Australia, more country areas, it's completely common to be eating rabbit or even kangaroo. Both I couldn't ever do, I find it very odd. Also horse that's more of like a european thing isn't it?

It does make sense, it didn't make me feel good either. And yeah totally, I think everyone needs to come to their own personal conclusion, because as we've seen in this thread everyone has different health conditions and dietary needs to satisfy.

- - - Post Merge - - -

main-qimg-bfeebd7cc3ba01562f739955ea4e460d-c
I know it's become a meme, but it makes a good point. Where do you draw the line?

That image is definitely prime meme material but I actually like the message lol. For me, none of them are food. Cows and pigs are such sweet animals and many people do have them as pets, chickens too! I have no desire to eat any of them and I really haven't in my adolescence either. Even when I did eat meat, I never craved it, I never liked the texture, it was just something that I was told I was supposed to eat, so I did.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Ya I saw the video, PETA is a bit crazy lol. But the point of the video was, if we're drinking cow's milk for no reason other than that we like it, why don't we drink dog's milk or cat's milk or *insert other animal other than cow bc disgusting*'s milk? The lady who was giving it out even got spat on by one bloke lol. It's a bit of a rubbish way of arguing their point, and nobody really listened to what she said afterwards, but it makes a point at least.

Yeah lol I feel like PETA gets pretty weird sometimes but they make a good point!

Also, when you realize that we are the only species that drinks the milk of another species, it's like....oh. That's a bit odd. Like, cow's milk is meant to turn a 40 lb calf into a 200+ lb cow. And here we are drinking it for our own enjoyment lol. It's strange, no?

Last edited:
Yea, I'm a huge animal lover but there's no way i could go without meat lol. I could probably go a week before I would cave and eat a steak.

You know what's a weirder stigma, when you think about it. Human milk, meant for humans, that's gross. Cow milk, meant for cows, that's yummy! Like, I'm not vegan, but I'll admit it's totally weird we won't even touch breast milk if it comes from a human woman. But life is hypocritical and weird.

I feel like when you actually think about drinking another animal's milk and keeping them pregnant for life all chained up and milked against their will, it sounds messed up. Picture the cows doing that to female humans and all of the sudden it's barbaric. We just drink milk because that's what society does. Not many people question it or think about it really hard.

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

It doesn't make a lot of sense. To me, it's all about society. We are told that livestock are raised to be eaten so we are supposed to eat them but if you ever offer to eat a snake, people go ape ****. They are ALL animals at equal value. It's what society has taught us of what is okay and what is not okay to eat. Which is why in some cultures it is okay to eat one animal and in another it's disgusting.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I feel like a lot of people try to ignore the way they are treated and pretend it isn't happening because they know they can't stop it so why bother? I know that's wrong but that's how my brother thinks anyway. He always says "yeah well the animal is already dead so I might as well eat it so it doesn't go to waste." While that is true, if more people gave a finger to the meat industry, it would hurt them and more animals would be saved.

From a different viewpoint, I feel like it's pretty sick that humans are making money off selling dead animals. How unfair to the animal is that?

That's good haha

While I get the point that the video is trying to make, I still think it's wrong to feed people stuff that they don't know. In my opinion, we should all be able to know what is going in our bodies.

I remember that my one coworker was demoing elk steaks. She failed to say "elk" and just said "steaks" so naturally, everyone assumed they were beef steaks. Yeah well, people got angry when they found out it was elk and they weren't told. While it shouldn't make sense of what animal is being eaten, people still should have the right to know. Since there are things like religion out there and allergies and what not.

I feel like a lot of people try to ignore the way they are treated and pretend it isn't happening because they know they can't stop it so why bother? I know that's wrong but that's how my brother thinks anyway. He always says "yeah well the animal is already dead so I might as well eat it so it doesn't go to waste." While that is true, if more people gave a finger to the meat industry, it would hurt them and more animals would be saved.

From a different viewpoint, I feel like it's pretty sick that humans are making money off selling dead animals. How unfair to the animal is that?

Yeah and it sucks that that kind of thinking basically is supply and demand. If you eat the beef the slaughter house produces, they'll just produce more anyways so you're always contributing to it. It's pretty messed up if you think about it, but either way humans are going to eat meat and slaughterhouses will keep functioning no matter what. Some might even feel better about not eating meat and only eating fish but there's a huge problem with overfishing. It's just up to the person to decide what they do with that information (and I feel like it needs to be talked about more often). For me, since I am a meat eater, I deal with this by cooking only vegetables when I cook for myself and occasionally not eating meat for periods of time, which is actually good for me since beef especially makes me bloat so I don't like eating it often. My room mate and I even do our own micro farming at home. We grow bokchoy and all sorts of veggies. I'm not guilty about eating meat but I do recognise that there are ways we can cut down on consumption if we really wanted to, like users have mentioned before with substitutes for protein and the fact that we don't even need to drink milk.

Back