• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you eat meat?

Do you eat meat?

• Total voters
I eat meat sometimes, but it isn't my favorite. It depends on where it's from and what kind, along with my mood. I hate seafood though, and pork is generally unappealing to me because it has a weird taste sometimes. I mostly eat other foods, but I do consume a lot of things that have animal products in them like milk or eggs.

I do currently, but I'm not enjoying it. I'm thinking of going back to vegetarianism. The only only thing I actually like/would want is seafood, I love seafood.

I'm a pesc. I have been for 8+ years, kind of lost count, but I gave up "meat" in highschool. =]

I'm a mostly-vegetarian, as I have been since I was a toddler. At two years of age I apparently used to eat all kinds of meat - including mince - with no issues. At some point by the time I was 4 though, I could not stomach the texture of mince especially and most meats. My parents didn't really notice for years, they just thought I was being fussy and didn't pick up on the pattern of it *only* being those meat dishes I refused to eat.

Because my issue was always texture related, I have been able to eat some chicken and turkey (breast only, absolutely NO "squidgy" or stringy bits), and also cooked-til-it's-charcoal bacon (again, NO "squidgy" or stringy bits). I can eat some kinds of fish, provided it's been de-boned etc. I loathe seafood but eat one (small) prawn at Christmas each year as that makes my dad happy and everyone gets to laugh at my disgusted face lol.

My doctor's have very strongly encouraged me to eat this stuff when I can. I have on/off anemia and other health stuff, so it's important I eat as wide a variety of nutritious foods as possible. It's also VERY important for vegans/vegetarians to re-introduce meat slowly and carefully after abstaining for awhile. I don't go longer than a month without eating some kind of meat, though I only rarely eat it more than once a week.

I'm a mostly-vegetarian, as I have been since I was a toddler. At two years of age I apparently used to eat all kinds of meat - including mince - with no issues. At some point by the time I was 4 though, I could not stomach the texture of mince especially and most meats. My parents didn't really notice for years, they just thought I was being fussy and didn't pick up on the pattern of it *only* being those meat dishes I refused to eat.

Because my issue was always texture related, I have been able to eat some chicken and turkey (breast only, absolutely NO "squidgy" or stringy bits), and also cooked-til-it's-charcoal bacon (again, NO "squidgy" or stringy bits). I can eat some kinds of fish, provided it's been de-boned etc. I loathe seafood but eat one (small) prawn at Christmas each year as that makes my dad happy and everyone gets to laugh at my disgusted face lol.

My doctor's have very strongly encouraged me to eat this stuff when I can. I have on/off anemia and other health stuff, so it's important I eat as wide a variety of nutritious foods as possible. It's also VERY important for vegans/vegetarians to re-introduce meat slowly and carefully after abstaining for awhile. I don't go longer than a month without eating some kind of meat, though I only rarely eat it more than once a week.

What would happen if a vegan or vegetarian ate meat after not eating it, for say, two years? Would their stomach just get upset? Or are there worse consequences?

I eat all kinds of meat and I mostly eat chicken but I generally tend to avoid eating red meat. I have it here and there (mostly special occasions or dinner visits) but I mostly eat chicken. Ive tried going vegetarian but it didn't work.

What would happen if a vegan or vegetarian ate meat after not eating it, for say, two years? Would their stomach just get upset? Or are there worse consequences?

i've been vegetarian/vegan for like a year now, and i think if i suddenly went back to eating meat i'd probably be okay. maybe some indigestion, but i doubt anything serious would happen tbh.
however i do think going back to eating dairy products after being vegan for at least like 2 years would be a nightmare

Last edited:

It depends on the circumstances - and their mindset. If the meat is not properly and safely cooked - leaving some raw bacteria (which may make anyone sick, but a vegan/vegetarian would be expecially vulnerable to due to the lack of currently built-up resistance) then it can be much more serious. That is the biggest risk factor I'm aware of, and the reason why vegans/vegetarians are encouraged *not* to try reintroducing meat into their diet whilst eating out at a restaurant or an event with a "pot luck" style catering, since there is more chance of food poisoning at such places generally. Well, that's the advice I've heard over and over again, anyway.

I found a good article that covers most of what I've been taught :

http://sciencenordic.com/does-meat-make-vegetarians-ill

"“A person might have a little problem if he or she started right out on a huge steak. Their body might not have sufficient levels of the right enzymes. Along the same lines it can be hard to digest any large meal after a long fast or period of starvation,” he says.

You might also have this problem if you start to eat other kinds of foods that you haven’t eaten in a long time.

The lonely geek who does nothing but heat up frozen pizzas day in and day out might experience some intestinal discomfort if he suddenly starts eating a lot of fruit and vegetables."

---

Being careful is a precaution more than anything else. But given how fraught re-introducing meat can be (even for partial vegetarians, the psychological element shouldn't be discounted), it's important to be informed in order to plan accordingly.

Last edited:
The lonely geek who does nothing but heat up frozen pizzas day in and day out might experience some intestinal discomfort if he suddenly starts eating a lot of fruit and vegetables.
LOL

I like meat but I can go months without eating it. When I cook at home I basically never cook meat, only rice, veggies, tofu, etc. but I find myself ordering chicken as a staple at least when I eat out. I'd eat anything though. I really like horse meat and rabbit but it's impossible to find here.

I like meat but I can go months without eating it. When I cook at home I basically never cook meat, only rice, veggies, tofu, etc. but I find myself ordering chicken as a staple at least when I eat out. I'd eat anything though. I really like horse meat and rabbit but it's impossible to find here.

HORSE MEAT?

HORSE MEAT?

Apparently in the UK a few years ago, there were traces of horse meat in the ground beef at certain grocery stores/brands. O_O

- - - Post Merge - - -

It depends on the circumstances - and their mindset. If the meat is not properly and safely cooked - leaving some raw bacteria (which may make anyone sick, but a vegan/vegetarian would be expecially vulnerable to due to the lack of currently built-up resistance) then it can be much more serious. That is the biggest risk factor I'm aware of, and the reason why vegans/vegetarians are encouraged *not* to try reintroducing meat into their diet whilst eating out at a restaurant or an event with a "pot luck" style catering, since there is more chance of food poisoning at such places generally. Well, that's the advice I've heard over and over again, anyway.

I found a good article that covers most of what I've been taught :

http://sciencenordic.com/does-meat-make-vegetarians-ill

"?A person might have a little problem if he or she started right out on a huge steak. Their body might not have sufficient levels of the right enzymes. Along the same lines it can be hard to digest any large meal after a long fast or period of starvation,? he says.

You might also have this problem if you start to eat other kinds of foods that you haven?t eaten in a long time.

The lonely geek who does nothing but heat up frozen pizzas day in and day out might experience some intestinal discomfort if he suddenly starts eating a lot of fruit and vegetables."

---

Being careful is a precaution more than anything else. But given how fraught re-introducing meat can be (even for partial vegetarians, the psychological element shouldn't be discounted), it's important to be informed in order to plan accordingly.

i've been vegetarian/vegan for like a year now, and i think if i suddenly went back to eating meat i'd probably be okay. maybe some indigestion, but i doubt anything serious would happen tbh.
however i do think going back to eating dairy products after being vegan for at least like 2 years would be a nightmare

Thanks for your answers!

It's interesting about diet and how badly it can effect us all. Same thing can apply if you travel to a new country and eat a completely different cuisine. For example, my Dad went to Japan and literally was on the toilet for the first few days until his body got used to their cuisine since it's so different from ours.

I think there was a vegetarian thread not to long ago

- - - Post Merge - - -

i would love to be a vegetarian but i have iron-deficiency so it's best not to go down that path. i'm not the biggest fan of meat either but i still eat a lot of it.
Theres a lot of iron rich foods that aren't meat, and supplements. Just read nutrition labels and calculate in a calorie counting app to make sure you hit your daily goal. Cast iron skillets are also a great way to add a little bit of extra iron to your foods. Remember to balance your iron with fiber, water, and magnesium/potassium to minimize the cobstipation. And take it with your vitamin c to maximize absorption.

Apparently in the UK a few years ago, there were traces of horse meat in the ground beef at certain grocery stores/brands. O_O

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thanks for your answers!

It's interesting about diet and how badly it can effect us all. Same thing can apply if you travel to a new country and eat a completely different cuisine. For example, my Dad went to Japan and literally was on the toilet for the first few days until his body got used to their cuisine since it's so different from ours.

It was one certain shop that did it cough tesco a few years ago. I don't know why anybody would eat rabbit or beaver or horse anyway, imo it should be illegal. But to each of their own.

I'm pollo-vegetarian but I don't eat fish / seafood

- - - Post Merge - - -

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thanks for your answers!

Tesco, wasn't it?

- - - Post Merge - - -

HORSE MEAT?

I find it weird when people act surprised by meats that aren't like pork, beef, or fish lmao
They're all animals br0

HORSE MEAT?

Yep, horse meat. Horse meat is in a lot of cuisines around the world even though it's "taboo" in the states. Before I had it for the first time I went through the typical moral questioning of whether or not it's wrong to eat them, but in the end I eat it for the same reason I eat chicken, beef, or fish. I think it's normal for people to feel disgusted since they fall close to the line of "domesticated animals" (like cats or dogs that have been bred to be companions). However, horses are found in the wild as well and are farmed and grazed just like cows. Of course it's wrong to sell a "beef burger" and call it that but in reality it's actually horse meat. That's just deception. Rabbit meat is also a very sustainable food source... they reproduce like crazy, compost your farm, eat food that are not useful to humans, take up little space to farm, and they are very delicious. Sometimes I do think twice about eating animals, especially knowing how a lot of farms treat them. That's why I don't drink milk anymore and don't eat much cheese and I have months where I wont eat meat at all. But in the end I do enjoy the taste, so I still eat it.

Back