Haskell

Saving for a username change KEK
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
0000-0000-0000
American Language

I got into an argument with my parents because I stated that America's two primary languages are English and Spanish. I acknowledge that English is the official language of the United States of America but my parents aren't acknowledging that Spanish is a primary language. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
American Language

I got into an argument with my parents because I stated that America's two primary languages are English and Spanish. I acknowledge that English is the official language of the United States of America but my parents aren't acknowledging that Spanish is a primary language. A poll will be posted soon.

omgursh

statistically, about 12% of the US population (about 37,000,000 people) speak spanish, But that's a major step up from the third most common language, which is chinese, at only .9% or about 2,000,000 people.

Isn't English the US's official language and Spanish is considered a secondary language?

Isn't English the US's official language and Spanish is considered a secondary language?

This is what I thought, similar to how in Canada French is the secondary language while English is the primary one.

Yes. That's basically what I said in my post.

as a matter of fact, being that only 12% of the population speaks spanish and about 75% speak english, idk if I would consider it a "primary" language in the US.

English is the primary language of the US - aka America. In the US there are many secondary languages.

However for the Americas you can argue for multiple primary languages, Spanish among them.

Actually, the United States has never declared a national language. I think most people see English as the first and Spanish as the second though

America doesn't have a national language. There are no "primary" and "secondary" languages. English is dominant, but we have no declared languages.

- - - Post Merge - - -

so, sadly, i can't vote in this poll,since there is no official language. however, if i personally could pick, i'd pick english and spanish. even wrote a bill about it for debate class.

America doesn't have a national language. There are no "primary" and "secondary" languages. English is dominant, but we have no declared languages.

- - - Post Merge - - -

so, sadly, i can't vote in this poll,since there is no official language. however, if i personally could pick, i'd pick english and spanish. even wrote a bill about it for debate class.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. You worded it much better though haha. It's sort of an established idea amongst society that English is the primary language and Spanish the secondary, but our government has never formally declared one.

TBH I'm surprised the amount of Spanish speakers is that low, every single state my mom and I have gone to people have automatically started talking to us in Spanish because they assume we're Mexican and we're like ?????

There is no official language of the US. Obviously English is the primary language, but there's no official language that has been claimed.

TBH I'm surprised the amount of Spanish speakers is that low, every single state my mom and I have gone to people have automatically started talking to us in Spanish because they assume we're Mexican and we're like ?????

Yeah I also thought that the amount of Spanish speakers was higher! Maybe that statistic was outdated.

as far as i know, while technically english is the/a primary language just because of pure numbers and it is the most commonly used (especially in law), the u.s. doesn't have an "official" language

Last edited:
I don't know why Spanish of all languages would be on the same level of prominence as English.

Spain was a major player in the American colonization era. They got to most of Central America and Mexico first before people of English descent could. The U.S. has a sizable Spanish speaking population because it annexed a lot of territory from Mexico and has received a lot of immigration from Central America and Mexico as well as Florida having many people of Cuban descent since the island is very close to the peninsula. Spanish is mostly regionally concentrated in the U.S. though. Border states like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California along with Florida have a good percentage of Spanish speakers while there are few Spanish speakers as you go further north.

Back