• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

American Language

American Language?

• Total voters
People from Britain are British. People from Spain are Spanish. People from France are French. The reason people from the United States are called Americans is because USA is a dumbass name for a country and calling ourselves anything else would sound really stupid. I can imagine the naming process for the United States being something like this:

Person 1: We're starting a new country and we have to give it a name. What the **** should we call it?

Person 2: Idk. I'm having a brain fart right now.

Person 1: Let's think about it... it's a cluster of states in America...

Person 2: I know! Let's call it the United States of America!

Person 1: OMG! Why didn't I think of that? XD

Petition for people of the United States to be called United States of Americish

I hate Spanish. I had to take it in middle school and twice in high school. I definitely do not consider it a primary language of the US.

I hate Spanish. I had to take it in middle school and twice in high school. I definitely do not consider it a primary language of the US.

Just because you don't like Spanish doesn't change the fact that people speak it. Though, not gonna lie, I hated Spanish in high school. I stopped going eventually and now I'm studying Swedish in home-schooling.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'd hate to be associated with nothing but American.

That is the most patriotic sentence I have ever read. Oh, the patriotism cringe.

Spanish and English is the official language in America.

Spanish and English are the official languages in America.

Bad grammar, Raskell! Bad!

I don't know why Spanish of all languages would be on the same level of prominence as English.

...Because we border Mexico. A Spanish speaking country.

american isn't a language. english-american technically isn't even a language. juss sayinn

I'm confused as to what this poll is, but I thought the majority of America could speak Spanish? Maybe not in North America, though. is south america still america or did u guys break up

Besides, there's lots of different people from different cultures who speak different languages in America. So idk. English primary and all the other ones secondary, I suppose.

American-English is a sub-language of the main overarching English language. Like British-English

South America, as in the continent, was never apart of North America or the United States of America...

It's "a part" in this sentence, though "apart" still works.

the notion of such is quite frankly extremely toxic a mindset to have

LOL gurl pls.

wasnt a miss teen usa pageant contestant roundly mocked by the public here for saying "we U.S. Americans....?"

If a language is the most commonly spoken language in a country, it's the primary language. Other languages are secondary languages.

I think English is the primary language and Spanish is just a secondary language. I still think everyone in America should speak English... ya know.

- - - Post Merge - - -

our official language is "Cool" :cool:

3867594137_25a96f820c_b.jpg

I knew this old Scottish dude who was a college perfesser, but he said when he was a kid growing up at school in Scotland the other kids at recess would beat up English kids unless they spoke with a Scottish brogue...

I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread has been so active without any arguments yet *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
I think for North America English is the main language (Canada And USA) and Spanish (Mexico) while for South America Spanish is the main language

Back