American Language

American Language?

• Total voters
could not vote in the poll, as the USA does not have an "official" language.

English is obviously the primary language though, and the language in which most government activity is conducted (schools, courts of law, public meetings of city councils, county commissioners, state/national congressional bodies, etc.).

Spanish in my opinion is the secondary language of the nation culturally at least. Only Mexico has more spanish-speakers than the USA. I think the numbers in a previous post are way too low, recent articles suggest its probably more like 60 million Americans that can and do peak Spanish fluently. Where I live in Florida, I know and meet people every day who speak Spanish as their primary language. They are mostly from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Panama, and the Dominican Republic. And their children often continue to speak Spanish at home and with friends as their primary cultural language even as adults.

Spanish in my opinion is the secondary language of the nation culturally at least. Only Mexico has more spanish-speakers than the USA. I think the numbers in a previous post are way too low, recent articles suggest its probably more like 60 million Americans that can and do peak Spanish fluently. Where I live in Florida, I know and meet people every day who speak Spanish as their primary language. They are mostly from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico, Panama, and the Dominican Republic. And their children often continue to speak Spanish at home and with friends as their primary cultural language even as adults.

In 2012, the U.S. Census estimated that 38.3 million U.S. residents spoke Spanish at home which comes out to 13 percent of U.S. residents.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/facts-for-features/2014/cb14-ff22.html

That number has probably gone up since then and there are a lot of people who speak Spanish as a secondary language, so your number is probably close if you include people who speak it as a secondary language.

I can technically bump this thread but I'm not going to bump it.

Last edited:
american isn't a language. english-american technically isn't even a language. juss sayinn

I'm confused as to what this poll is, but I thought the majority of America could speak Spanish? Maybe not in North America, though. is south america still america or did u guys break up

Besides, there's lots of different people from different cultures who speak different languages in America. So idk. English primary and all the other ones secondary, I suppose.

is south america still america or did u guys break up

South America, as in the continent, was never apart of North America or the United States of America...

Last edited:
I swear raskell, every time I think you've reached peak "thread that makes me want to slam my face into a wall more than the last" you somehow manage to prove me wrong. props for that I guess?

English is the most notably prominent language (followed by Spanish), but it's not like it's official or anything either. and the notion of such is quite frankly extremely toxic a mindset to have

Last edited:
South America, as in the continent, was never apart of North America or the United States of America...

To be fair forestyne is arguing the same point I was alluding to earlier. Your thread is titled American language. While I understand by "America" you meant the United States (of America), there is also central America, South America, and Canada which are all "America" by technicality.

For future reference this is why I usually say "I'm from the US" instead of "I'm an American" (unless it's in person because when you live in the US people think it's weird if you say "I'm from the US" instead of "I'm an American"). While most people around the world do associate American with the US I think it's not technically correct and speak as such.

I swear raskell, every time I think you've reached peak "thread that makes me want to slam my face into a wall more than the last" you somehow manage to prove me wrong. props for that I guess?

Nothing is wrong with this thread. Something is only wrong with Raskell.

- - - Post Merge - - -

To be fair forestyne is arguing the same point I was alluding to earlier. Your thread is titled American language. While I understand by "America" you meant the United States (of America), there is also central America, South America, and Canada which are all "America" by technicality.

For future reference this is why I usually say "I'm from the US" instead of "I'm an American" (unless it's in person because when you live in the US people think it's weird if you say "I'm from the US" instead of "I'm an American"). While most people around the world do associate American with the US I think it's not technically correct and speak as such.

USA is the only country that's citizens are referred to as, "Americans." The country is also referred to as, "America." From the original post, the poll, and the conversation, one should realize this is about America The United States of America.

- - - Post Merge - - -

aw that's a shame, u guys were a cute couple

I hope you're being sarcastic about thinking that South America was ever apart of North America or the United States of America.

Last edited:
I hope you're being sarcastic about thinking that South America was ever apart of North America or the United States of America.

u guys were so cute together, what ever went wrong in the relationship? :rolleyes:

- - - Post Merge - - -

of course i was being sarcastic i'm not that dumb. christ.

All of the Americas are connected by land. So saying "American" what do u mean, like... which America? United States, Central America, South America? it must be so awkward having mutual friends after the breakup. i hate when that happens. So I feel like that should have been clarified a bit better.

And American still isn't a language.

u guys were so cute together, what ever went wrong in the relationship? :rolleyes:

- - - Post Merge - - -

of course i was being sarcastic i'm not that dumb. christ.

All of the Americas are connected by land. So saying "American" what do u mean, like... which America? United States, Central America, South America? it must be so awkward having mutual friends after the breakup. i hate when that happens. So I feel like that should have been clarified a bit better.

And American still isn't a language.

Usually when anyone says "America" they mean the States. I've never seen otherwise.

Especially 'cause us Canadians do not appreciate being called American.

Usually when anyone says "America" they mean the States. I've never seen otherwise.

Especially 'cause us Canadians do not appreciate being called American.

Do people still mistake Canadians for Americans? :confused: I always thought the difference was noticeable.

Also what's with hating being called American too?

idk but isnt that, like, something that the government says n makes official so.. theres not a lot to have opinions abt

I'm not disputing that folks from the states are usually called American and the most in the world acknowledges this, I'm arguing that technically (*) anyone from any American continent is American. Technically Russians are Asian but of course I've never heard them called that. But according to maps of the continents this is true.

Honestly I'd love to see us all transcend skin color defined race and move to you're from x country you're an x-ian or this collective of countries is from y continent so all are y-ian and we're all from Earth so we're all Earthlings. But that's not the point of this thread.

Anyway, I was just arguing that, depending who you talk to, Americans could be anyone from any American continent, meaning that the American language would consist of many primary languages, where as the language of the US would have one primary language and many secondary languages.

*if my phone made more autocorrect mistakes I'm leaving them in because I need to get back to work soon.

Last edited:
I'm not disputing that folks from the states are usually called American and the most in the world acknowledges this, I'm arguing that technically (*) anyone from any American continent is American. Technically Russians are Asian but of course I've never heard them called that. But according to maps of the continents this is true.

Honestly I'd love to see us all transcend skin color defined race and move to you're from x country you're an x-ian or this collective of countries is from y continent so all are y-ian and we're all from Earth so we're all Earthlings. But that's not the point of this thread.

Anyway, I was just arguing that, depending who you talk to, Americans could be anyone from any American continent, meaning that the American language would consist of many primary languages, where as the language of the US would have one primary language and many secondary languages.

*if my phone made more autocorrect mistakes I'm leaving them in because I need to get back to work soon.

We_Are_All_One_Race_The_Human_Race.jpg

People from Britain are British. People from Spain are Spanish. People from France are French. The reason people from the United States are called Americans is because USA is a dumbass name for a country and calling ourselves anything else would sound really stupid. I can imagine the naming process for the United States being something like this:

Person 1: We're starting a new country and we have to give it a name. What the **** should we call it?

Person 2: Idk. I'm having a brain fart right now.

Person 1: Let's think about it... it's a cluster of states in America...

Person 2: I know! Let's call it the United States of America!

Person 1: OMG! Why didn't I think of that? XD

Last edited:
Back