• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Aokigahara Suicide Prevention Town

I checked this out a couple weeks ago and I'll probably visit it again sometime soon!

So I just checked this town out and I am stunned with how much work has been put into it with all of the deep meanings in just the houses and all of the designs. My two favorite houses were Kyabin and Akumu. Kyabin's house really represented how brave people are to camp out in this forest while dealing with depression. I also really liked the morgue in Byoin's house, that was my favorite room of all. What room really spoke to me was in Akumu's house which was the second floor of the house. In this room there are lots of tables with villager pictures on them and in the middle, a box of tissues which resembled fear of getting too close to someone. As someone who struggles from depression on a daily basis, I myself could relate to all of Akumu's house, especially this particular room and the room dedicated to the fear of losing someone. I took many photos throughout the dream. I can easily say that this town is one of the best that I've visited via the dream suite with its beautiful stormy atmosphere whilst at the same time raising suicide awareness with the blue flowers and the sign located in the plaza and train station. I think that everybody should visit this town because of all of the meaningful deep meanings awaiting. Beautiful town. <3

"And remember that bad times...are just times that are bad." - Katrina

In memory of Robin Williams, I am bumping this post up.

Hey guys. So i did get the N2DS, but I can't hack until I get Cubic Ninja and I can't get it until next month. But I did do a lot with the town. I updated Kyabin's house to be the relax room, where it's filled with common things that people do to help with coping - like a gym, a library and a music room. I've moved the gaming room from Akumu's basement and brought it over to Kyabin's house and replaced it with a fear of financies room. I do it plan on hacking in the near future when I have the money for Cubic Ninja. Keep an eye out for more updates!

This is a very unique town. It sounds really interesting and it looks like a lot of work and thought got put into this. Ill be sure to check it out later today!

Mayor Bryōn of Aoki(ga)hara
Dream Address: 4E00-0032-EBA1

Aokigahara is a forest at the bottom of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is also known as The Suicide Forest. Is it the second most popular destination where people have gone to commit suicide, right after the Golden Gate Bridge. This town is based off of Aokigahara, it is intended to bea town where people can to see that they are NOT the only ones out there that are going through the same thing and to bring people hope that those “bad times…are just times that are bad.” – Katrina

Landscaping and PWP

Since authorities know that this forest has a reputation for it’s high suicide rate, there are signs throughout the forest urging visitors to think twice about why they’re there and a number that will lead you to help. I have tried to recreate this at the train station and the plaza. The sign, translated from Japanese to English, goes something like this: “Live is an important thing we receive from our parents. Think once more about your parents, your siblings, your children, and your friends. Don’t suffer alone. Please talk to someone. National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433”.
I wanted to give this town a very oriental feel to it, hence the zen town hall and train station among some of the zen PWP. There is also a group of scarecrows for the mysterious town of Nagoro in Japan where most of it’s population consists of 150 Ayano Scarecrows. Right behind Akumu’s house, I have put in a park. Despite the representation of Aokigahara, it is actually a really peaceful forest. And behind the park is the Graveyard. The graveyard is a memorial for all those who have passed in Aokigahara. As you can see, you can dig up fossils, just like if you look hard enough you can find huma bones in Aokigahara. The reason for the garden of blue roses is because they are a symbol of suicide prevention. At the cliffs, there are shoes on the ground that symbolizes jumpers.

Mayor Byron’s House

First Floor, main room
Looks like a hospital welcome center
First Floor, all other rooms
Resemble hospital rooms. This house is where survivors go to heal from their wounds before they go into treatment.
Second Floor, Main room
Blue set, resembling the blue roses and their ties to suicide prevention and depression
The Basement
Represents a morgue for those who could not survive
HHA points: 150,000

Supa’s House

In Japanese Supa means Spa I call this house the treatment house because most survivors go to a treatment center.
First floor, main room
This is the room where you check into the spa. There’s even a little shop for the guests.
First Floor, all other rooms
After you check into the spa, you are greeted with hot tubs and massage tables.
Second Floor, Main room
The sloppy set is in this room because most people who suffer from depression can come off as lazy due to lack of motivation and energy. This might cause someone to be just a little ‘sloppy’.
The Basement
As you can see, there is a lot of comfort food in this room. These specific ones are ones that can actually improve your mood.
HHA points: 150,000

Kyabin’s House

In Japanese, Kyabin means cabin
First floor, all rooms & second floor, main room
This house is very simple. The house if those who are brave enough to camp in the woods. Sources state that the forest is eerie itself and most cab drivers wont drive you there. Because of the material in the soil, most compasses don’t work. It is very easy to get lost in the forest.
The Basement
Another graveyard. The reason for all the graveyards is for the dreamers to realize how many people have actually visited the forest to take their lives.
HHA points: 180,000

WARNING: FOR THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION OR ANY OTHER MENTAL ILLNESS, THE NEXT HOUSE MIGHT TRIGGER YOU.

Akumu’s House

Akumu means nightmare in Japanese This house represents the fears of depression
First floor, Main room
This room doesn’t necessarily relate to depression, but it does relate to the forest. As you can see, there are a bunch of dolls hanging on trees in the forest. Rumor has it that they are used as a portal for demons. The reason why is because some people have a fear of dolls.
First floor, Right room
This room is for the ‘upside’ of depression. It goes to show that people who suffer from depression often come off as happy but in reality they are just fighting their inner demons. Hece the warrior-related masks in this room. Keep fighting!
First Floor, Back room
This room is the opposite of the last. It shows the downside of depression. It shows the inner demons that we are fighting, but sometimes can’t win.
First Floor, Left Room
This room is for the ‘fear of the future’ room. This is one of the many fears that people with depression are very sensitive to.
Second Floor, Main Room
This is the fear of getting close to someone room. Just like the room before this, it is most common for those who have depression to have a very high fear of this compared to those who do not suffer from a mental illness.
The Basement
This is the ‘fear of losing someone’ room. Not only does this room add on to the other rooms, but it also adds on how many people have taken their lives in the forest.
HHA points: 160,000

What. So depressing!

***MAJOR UPDATE***

I was FINALLY able to hack and I did so much with the town. The QR picnic blanket is now the actual PWP. I moved the campsite to the bottom of the map, along with a proper camping PWP. I changed all the basic PWP to the zen ones. I even did a lot of landscaping. Hacking does SOOO much more than what I expected.

I don't have CFW just yet, but I am going to eventually and when I do, I'll start streaming the town. Thank you guys for all the love and support of Aoki(ga)hara and continue to visit. And remember "that bad times...are just times that are bad." -Katrina

I've been meaning to visit this town for a while and give it a review. As someone who has struggled with suicidal thoughts before, I'm really hoping that it's good!

Waking up to the sound of rain at night instantly set the mood for this dream town - good job. (I'm assuming it was done on purpose). The message in front of the town tree is very important, something everyone who's struggling with this needs to here. Placing right next to where you wake up means it can't be ignored either. I like that. (Had to push Diana out of the way to read it, however.)

I spent some time wandering around the area with all the houses and buildings, although didn't see much there that meant anything significant. (If I missed something I apologize.) I didn't spend any time talking to villagers unless I came across them wandering around, so. I don't think they were picked for any other reason that they're popular? Possibly people's favourites in general? Not sure if I'm not putting the puzzle together right.

I like seeing the blue theme in the flowers, bushes and paths. It's a colour that both symbolizes sadness, which people who experience suicidal thoughts will be feeling, but also calmness and tranquillity, which I feel when exploring this town. Calm is something a lot of people going through a hard time need. Blue is the perfect colour choice for this town.

I came across Supa's house while wandering first. The spa fits in with the calmness again, but I don't see it representing treatment very well. I wish depression was treated like this, but all I know is tossing pills down your throat. A very different experience. The second floor is very well done, however. It looks exactly how your life feels when you are suffering from this illness. The basement is very bright and colourful, good job with the fruits - eating fruit can help with both physical and mental health so good choice.

Kyabin's house was close so I went there next. It's a very comforting house, similar to how I did my own mayor's house since I love the style and the cabin set. I know this is meant to be a cabin in the Suicide Forest but it still feels very homely and nice. The back room is meant to be a library clearly, and the right room is a music recording studio. I'm not sure what the left room or upstairs is meant to be. Not sure why they're there either? They seem a little out of place to me, but again, I could be missing something. Downstairs is sad. This is clearly meant to be bodies hanging from trees, given the clothes stood in front of nooses. A little shaky once you understand they represent actual bodies, actual people, but given its ACNL it's not scary or anything.

Wandered some more after that. Noticed little things that seemed odd but upsetting once you know what they mean - like the shoes scattered about in the trees and lined up on the cliff edge. The four scarecrows on their own are almost creepy. Went down to the beach but I didn't see anything. Approaching Akumu's house made me know there was going to be something dark coming up as the blue roses began to mix with black until they were all black roses. Just behind the house is an obvious graveyard too.

Going into the house at first was a little strange. 16 dolls dressed in black around a table with axes and candles, although the general atmosphere of this first room is bright and kiddle tables are used. A little strange, unsure of how the contrast makes me feel. Again, unsure of what the left, right and back rooms and the basement are meant to represent. Going upstairs struck me. Loads of villager pictures and several clocks, all with a single box of tissues. Perhaps meant to represent all the people who have lost their lives (pictures) and in contrast, all the people who care? (tissues) If so, this is clever, and suicide awareness does need to be raised, I agree. A touching room if I'm right.

Hit the mayor's house last, and this is the one that got to me. I have a huge phobia of hospitals and as soon as I saw the front room I knew what was coming and how much I wouldn't like it. Honestly, the hospital is the hardest part of having these issues. Before being diagnosed, it's all up in the air whether you actually have issues or something's just wrong with you in general. And it can be so hard when it takes time for the truth to come out. Being told by a professional doctor that you are faking your issues for attention is not an easy thing to hear, especially if you have anxiety - because you'll believe it and think you're a horrid person. I'm glad this was the house I came to last because it had the biggest impact on me of all of them and really reminded me how difficult it can be to cope with these issues. The basement was a true graveyard, and it made me glad that I'm still here - thinking that I could be buried and having my family visit me there, like that, is heartbreaking.

Overall, a very well done town. With an issue like this, it would be easy to mess it up entirely and give off completely the wrong message but you didn't. There are some bits that are confusing, such as some house rooms, but nothing that I feel gives the wrong impression or sends the wrong message. I encourage anyone who's struggling with issues or know someone who is to visit this town and to have a wander and a think. It's very relaxing to be in, and a very nice town overall. Good job.

Finished checking it out. It was really awesome overall. I could definitely see all the time that went into it and it really helped having the explanations to understand all the details. The landscaping is beautiful.
I love the aspect of giving people the national hotline and urging people to reach out for help. However, while I know with good intent, I don't really like that it pushes your parents/your parents giving you life/siblings etc. Even if not intentional, the message is a very typical guilt trip ridden message which many suicidal people have already been through. The message can fail to really understand being on the verge of suicide for many which can be harmful. Especially for someone in an abusive situation with family and parents or having been in, the message can be triggering or turn that person away from seeking help. I would personally try to change it and stick to something more broad like you might find from national suicide hotline itself. Something like "Every struggle is different. You are not alone. Please reach out.." etc.

Last edited:
I?ve updated the houses a little. I?ve recently noticed that the walls of the houses were kind of bare - so I added things here and there to the rooms so that their more fuller. Check it out!

Back