Aokigahara Suicide Prevention Town

missxmadden

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Mayor Bryōn of Aoki(ga)hara
Dream Address: 4E00-0032-EBA1

Aokigahara is a forest at the bottom of Mount Fuji in Japan. It is also known as The Suicide Forest. Is it the second most popular destination where people have gone to commit suicide, right after the Golden Gate Bridge. This town is based off of Aokigahara, it is intended to bea town where people can to see that they are NOT the only ones out there that are going through the same thing and to bring people hope that those “bad times…are just times that are bad.” – Katrina

Landscaping and PWP

Since authorities know that this forest has a reputation for it’s high suicide rate, there are signs throughout the forest urging visitors to think twice about why they’re there and a number that will lead you to help. I have tried to recreate this at the train station and the plaza. The sign, translated from Japanese to English, goes something like this: “Live is an important thing we receive from our parents. Think once more about your parents, your siblings, your children, and your friends. Don’t suffer alone. Please talk to someone. National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-784-8433”.
I wanted to give this town a very oriental feel to it, hence the zen town hall and train station among some of the zen PWP. There is also a group of scarecrows for the mysterious town of Nagoro in Japan where most of it’s population consists of 150 Ayano Scarecrows. Right behind Akumu’s house, I have put in a park. Despite the representation of Aokigahara, it is actually a really peaceful forest. And behind the park is the Graveyard. The graveyard is a memorial for all those who have passed in Aokigahara. As you can see, you can dig up fossils, just like if you look hard enough you can find huma bones in Aokigahara. The reason for the garden of blue roses is because they are a symbol of suicide prevention. At the cliffs, there are shoes on the ground that symbolizes jumpers.

Mayor Byron’s House

First Floor, main room
Looks like a hospital welcome center
First Floor, all other rooms
Resemble hospital rooms. This house is where survivors go to heal from their wounds before they go into treatment.
Second Floor, Main room
Blue set, resembling the blue roses and their ties to suicide prevention and depression
The Basement
Represents a morgue for those who could not survive
HHA points: 150,000

Supa’s House

In Japanese Supa means Spa I call this house the treatment house because most survivors go to a treatment center.
First floor, main room
This is the room where you check into the spa. There’s even a little shop for the guests.
First Floor, all other rooms
After you check into the spa, you are greeted with hot tubs and massage tables.
Second Floor, Main room
The sloppy set is in this room because most people who suffer from depression can come off as lazy due to lack of motivation and energy. This might cause someone to be just a little ‘sloppy’.
The Basement
As you can see, there is a lot of comfort food in this room. These specific ones are ones that can actually improve your mood.
HHA points: 150,000

Kyabin’s House

In Japanese, Kyabin means cabin
First floor, all rooms & second floor, main room
This house is very simple. The house if those who are brave enough to camp in the woods. Sources state that the forest is eerie itself and most cab drivers wont drive you there. Because of the material in the soil, most compasses don’t work. It is very easy to get lost in the forest.
The Basement
Another graveyard. The reason for all the graveyards is for the dreamers to realize how many people have actually visited the forest to take their lives.
HHA points: 180,000

WARNING: FOR THOSE WHO SUFFER FROM DEPRESSION OR ANY OTHER MENTAL ILLNESS, THE NEXT HOUSE MIGHT TRIGGER YOU.

Akumu’s House

Akumu means nightmare in Japanese This house represents the fears of depression
First floor, Main room
This room doesn’t necessarily relate to depression, but it does relate to the forest. As you can see, there are a bunch of dolls hanging on trees in the forest. Rumor has it that they are used as a portal for demons. The reason why is because some people have a fear of dolls.
First floor, Right room
This room is for the ‘upside’ of depression. It goes to show that people who suffer from depression often come off as happy but in reality they are just fighting their inner demons. Hece the warrior-related masks in this room. Keep fighting!
First Floor, Back room
This room is the opposite of the last. It shows the downside of depression. It shows the inner demons that we are fighting, but sometimes can’t win.
First Floor, Left Room
This room is for the ‘fear of the future’ room. This is one of the many fears that people with depression are very sensitive to.
Second Floor, Main Room
This is the fear of getting close to someone room. Just like the room before this, it is most common for those who have depression to have a very high fear of this compared to those who do not suffer from a mental illness.
The Basement
This is the ‘fear of losing someone’ room. Not only does this room add on to the other rooms, but it also adds on how many people have taken their lives in the forest.
HHA points: 160,000

Last edited:
This is actually a really cute town idea. Definitely gonna check it out when I get home from work. I'm sure it's really inspiring!

Gonna turn on my 3DS and play Animal Crossing so I can check out the dream town!
This is your town, correct? I bet you did a really good job. :)

This is an interesting idea for a town and very well thought out. I haven't got the dream suite yet, but I can tell this town has probably had a lot of time and attention to detail put into it. However, I don't mean to be negative but as interesting it is and the story behind it all, I feel like some people might be a bit sensitive to some of the contents in the town - not me specifically, but other people who may be dealing with something similar. Not that i'm suggesting you change some of the ideas because they're all good ideas of course, I just hope that you don't take this as me trying to insult you or the effort you've put into it this. I'm just trying to be objective that's all. :)

Putting that to one side, I will be giving it a visit as soon as I get the dream suite for myself. :)

Last edited:
I watched a thing on tv about this place, it's very sad that some people are in such dark places and can't see another way. I will visit your dream address later.

i was able to find one, but the mayor name was different and the dream address was invalid, i had to find it by town name. will edit once ive explored, just wanted people to know if they want to visit

Wow that's an awesome idea. I'll check it later sometime this week (busy af right now) and report back. It sounds really cool tho :)

i visited, the town fit the description so i must have found the right one, i didn't think to check the town billboard to get the correct dream address (sorry x_x, may go back in a bit)

i've been feeling depressed lately myself, this town was really calming to walk around in. i noticed chocolate cakes next to photos of villagers as sort of memorials and offerings throughout the town, showing that they were missed by somebody. i teared up a little once i got to a room full of animal portraits and walked to blanca's, reading her quote:
mn.jpg
"Every face tells a story."

i think this theme is also seen in the shoes by the cliff. most of them are white patent shoes, but if you look closer some of them are different. i think this gives the jumpers with different shoes a little bit of personality and makes you feel a little closer to them.

HNI_0080.JPG
i really appreciate these messages repeated throughout the town. even if the theme is rather dark for a kid's game, this particular rendition does not romanticize depression or display mental illness as a horror movie trope- it makes you feel for people going through this as well as encouraging those who are experiencing suicidal thoughts to get help, and it does this by utilizing simple elements from the game in a lovely way.

Just a heads up, the actual DA is 4E00-0032-EBA1.

As for the town itself...hoo boy. I'm super oblivious when it comes to symbolism, so I had to use the little cheat sheet in the OP, but it was not easy to get through all of it. Especially rooms like the various morgues and cemeteries (kudos for having several since it hammers in how much of an epidemic it is), which are more sobering than everything else. Speaks well of your portrayal of such a haunting, tragic area. Really good stuff.

I finally visited. It's absolutely beautiful, you really took the time and thought out every single detail. The path, the bamboo, the shoes by the cliff, the houses, the graveyard, and the quote scattered in a few different spots. All of it is so well done. I think you nailed it, I think you absolutely captured the very essence of what you wanted to show to people. I wanted to thank you for bringing attention to a....sad subject but in doing so, maybe more people can understand depression. Thank you, when the darkness returns, I will think of your town and all the forever empty shoes lining the cliff...

i was able to find one, but the mayor name was different and the dream address was invalid, i had to find it by town name. will edit once ive explored, just wanted people to know if they want to visit

i found the town by searching up Aokihara. it's a nice town and i love the symbolism and effort put into this

This is so cool. I've struggled with suicidal thoughts all my life and my boyfriend's friend committed suicide 2 days ago, so the timing of this is helpful... this is beautiful.

I need to check it out when I get the chance.

The town was very... blue! Looks great! Sorry, I don't know what else to say.
I thought it would be an forest dream town. It wasn't! It's actually a lot better not being a forest. :)

Not too sure about that quote. Sometimes it's the family's fault.
"Bad times... are just times that are bad."

While I have a measly little semicolon on a custom sign. I got a perfect screenshot.

0GEfTNy.jpg

DA is in my signature.

Is this legit your town tho?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Dream Address was invalid and the player name was different too;;

Back