• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Can't sleep.

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I had an interview on Saturday, and it went amazingly. They even said they really liked me and just needed to call my references before they could move forward with hiring. Btw, this is a serving job. Anyway, they called my reference - my manager from my old job. They asked him why I quit and he said, "Because she hated split shifts." Whyyy? If you weren't aware yet, 99% of serving jobs have split shifts. That wasn't even why I quit (although it wouldn't be ideal to mention the real reason anyway) but I thought he'd say the generic, "She wanted a change and to experience another place." he did go on to say that I was hardworking and a fast learner, and that he would definitely hire me back.. But damage done, I think.. Anyway, I'm afraid that they've changed their minds about me now and I really was excited to work there... So my anxiety has been in overdrive and won't let me stop thinking about it. So I'm extremely exhausted right now lol. So my question to you guys is.. How bad did my ex-manager's statement make me look? Be honest!

How bad those words make you look to your potential employers depends on a few factors :

- How do you know what was said, did your ex-manager tell you?

- Were you asked at the interview why you left that job? If so, is your answer at all compatible with the gist of your ex-managers words?

- Were you asked about doing split shifts for this new job? Did you answer positively?

Honestly, if you did as well at the interview as you think you did, and the only issue is that one incorrect statement from your ex-manager - who otherwise gave an apparently glowing assessment of you - then you should still be in a good position.

The point of a reference check is to corroborate information given by one source. If there's any serious or notable discrepancy, an employer will often just pass in order to avoid the hassle. BUT if an otherwise stellar candidate has a question mark raised during a routine reference check, the most reasonable thing to do is ask about that question mark (either to the reference directly or to the candidate). Sometimes it can even be ignored entirely, but as your issue seems directly related to this job in question, that's unlikely.

If they call to discuss things, just keep calm. Questions aren't bad! You're a step up on most people since you already know what your reference said that rang alarm bells. So take this time to think through how you'll respond.

In any event, I'd be having a nice chat with that ex-manager and getting him on board with a more diplomatic answer for future reference checks.

Last edited:
To be honest it really depends on what else he mentioned in the reference check and how well you interviewed. When I interviewed people and did their references, and really liked them I would let one or two things slide from the reference based on my gut feeling.

In future though, I would not use him as a reference moving forward. I've done some references where they would straight up tell me not to hire a candidate for x, y, and z reasons.

I'm sure you will get it. To me it sounds like they are just doing a formality with the reference check

How bad those words make you look to your potential employers depends on a few factors :

- How do you know what was said, did your ex-manager tell you?

- Were you asked at the interview why you left that job? If so, is your answer at all compatible with the gist of your ex-managers words?

- Were you asked about doing split shifts for this new job? Did you answer positively?

Honestly, if you did as well at the interview as you think you did, and the only issue is that one incorrect statement from your ex-manager - who otherwise gave an apparently glowing assessment of you - then you should still be in a good position.

The point of a reference check is to corroborate information given by one source. If there's any serious or notable discrepancy, an employer will often just pass in order to avoid the hassle. BUT if an otherwise stellar candidate has a question mark raised during a routine reference check, the most reasonable thing to do is ask about that question mark (either to the reference directly or to the candidate). Sometimes it can even be ignored entirely, but as your issue seems directly related to this job in question, that's unlikely.

If they call to discuss things, just keep calm. Questions aren't bad! You're a step up on most people since you already know what your reference said that rang alarm bells. So take this time to think through how you'll respond.

In any event, I'd be having a nice chat with that ex-manager and getting him on board with a more diplomatic answer for future reference checks.

Yes, my ex-manager texted me that they called him, and I asked what he said. That's when he told me. The interviewer did not ask specifically why I quit. She just saw that I didn't work for a while after the old job and asked me why. I told her that it was because I wanted to take a break to do something new, and also to work on my book. We had a conversation about that and it was pretty implied that that's why I quit? It definitely was part of the reason. The main reason was that the owner of the restaurant from my previous job was mistreating me and I had had enough. Of course, it's bad to speak negatively about your employers, so naturally, I didn't bring that up. So what my ex-manager said my reason was for quitting, was completely different from what her assumption was, and it was basically about me complaining about my shifts, which are very common in restaurant jobs. I wasn't asked specifically about split shifts, but they did ask if I was okay working long hours up to 8, and I said I'm completely fine with it since in my first restaurant job, I used to work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. I was holding out hope that they'd at least ask me about it, but it has been 2 days since they called my reference, and I haven't heard a single thing from them.

I did have a talk with my ex-manager, and when I told him to just say that I wanted to try something different and focus on my writing for a while the next time he is asked that question, he said that that would make me sound irresponsible.. >.<

- - - Post Merge - - -

To be honest it really depends on what else he mentioned in the reference check and how well you interviewed. When I interviewed people and did their references, and really liked them I would let one or two things slide from the reference based on my gut feeling.

In future though, I would not use him as a reference moving forward. I've done some references where they would straight up tell me not to hire a candidate for x, y, and z reasons.

I'm sure you will get it. To me it sounds like they are just doing a formality with the reference check

Well, everything else he said about me was very positive. But I'm completely screwed if they have split shifts. I know my interview went very well because the interviewer said so, and that she really liked me, and said that they just need to call references because it's their policy before they can move forward with hiring. It's just that saying I quit because I hated split shifts is like a lawyer's reference saying, "He quit his previous job because he doesn't like getting up in front of the court." It's a huge part of the job and if he made it seem like I wasn't willing to do it, then there is no point. I was hopeful that they would still call me to at least ask about it, but it has been two days since they called him, and there were a lot of applicants to choose from. :(

I wish I didn't have to use him for reference, but unfortunately, I didn't have a great relationship with any of my bosses (they were all bullies), and he is the only manager that wouldn't trash talk me out of spite.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm looking for new jobs while I'm still working at my old restaurant job. I haven't decided if I I'm going to stay at where I'm working or just get a second job. On all of my applications I've mentioned I'm still working but I've also mentioned it wouldn't be ideal for them to call my managers. A few people have found second jobs and the managers have cut their hours after they find out they're even looking for other jobs, and the last time I used my current managers as a reference they basically told them I complained too much when I got my hours cut despite that I was still working every day (But they didn't tell them they took two to three hours off my shift every day so I was losing 14 to 21 hours each week which put a HUGE drop in my pay)

If you're worried they haven't contacted you it's best just to call them, at least that way you'll know. If the interview went well then that shouldn't be much of an issue, and you can always tell them even if you don't like working split shifts that doesn't mean you won't work them.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm looking for new jobs while I'm still working at my old restaurant job. I haven't decided if I I'm going to stay at where I'm working or just get a second job. On all of my applications I've mentioned I'm still working but I've also mentioned it wouldn't be ideal for them to call my managers. A few people have found second jobs and the managers have cut their hours after they find out they're even looking for other jobs, and the last time I used my current managers as a reference they basically told them I complained too much when I got my hours cut despite that I was still working every day (But they didn't tell them they took two to three hours off my shift every day so I was losing 14 to 21 hours each week which put a HUGE drop in my pay)

If you're worried they haven't contacted you it's best just to call them, at least that way you'll know. If the interview went well then that shouldn't be much of an issue, and you can always tell them even if you don't like working split shifts that doesn't mean you won't work them.

Ugh, I just hate managers who can't stay professional. Sorry you have to go through that. I completely understand having a boss that gets mad about people quitting. In fact, my first real restaurant job, the owner got so mad at me when I handed in my two weeks notice that they told me to just leave on the spot and not bother coming back, and that I'd come crawling back to them one day because no one will give me a better job than they did. Lol. Some people just have an ego and think that the world revolves around them.

But anyway, I guess I was worrying for nothing because I received an email from them inviting me for a second interview tomorrow. :) I guess it was just my anxiety blowing things out of proportion as usual. Gosh I hate that. But thank you so much to everyone for their support and helpful words!

Idk, I've gotten the impression for those kind of jobs that references are just to make sure you're not some kind of wacko hulligan. Even if it wasn't the best reference they'll probably hire you anyway.

Back