i GOTTA VENT!!!!

And this is exactly why I flat out avoid CT.
I've never used it, but it's honestly horrible on what it has become.

I'm really sorry this happened to you and your daughter. If I was in your shoes, I'd be flat out mortified and disgusted.

I stick to my own island for a reason. Even though I'm turning 22 years old tomorrow, I'm very antisocial and can get really uncomfortable, which is why I avoid doing stuff like this. If I ever wanted the Club Tortimer exclusive stuff, I'd rather just buy them here in the Re-Tail section for whatever TBT/IGB I have. I just can't bring myself to buy CT. Plus it's 50 medals, which I'd rather buy Mermaid or Cabana furniture instead.

I know it's not much, but if you ever need something for your town, feel free to stop by my cycle town, Monsoon. I have a ton of stuff I can give away for free. ☆
(Like fruit, bells, furniture, gyroids, shampoodle, hybrids, etc.)

Ah this makes me sad! I am sorry your little girl had to go through that :( I literally just got the membership yesterday for the first time. I wanted to try and earn the exclusive items from there plus I've read you get more medals for games. But this is making me not want to do that! I will probably dress up in boys clothing when I go there, since after reading this is seems most of the attacks were on girls. It is sad that people are doing that in a game that's so innocent and fun. There should be harsher consequences when someone does that. Like their account locked or something after you report them? Idk how it works though since I haven't even been there yet.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. It seems like there was a misunderstanding, I'm sure we're all sorry for the confusion. I knew you were nearby for at least some of the time as you outlined how the bell-begging thing happened. I think it just read as though she (or you) was somewhere else after that, as she came up to you very upset (understandably!) and in context it seemed like that might be what happens often (as you outlined several issues). I wasn't sure, and should have offered my advice differently, rather than implying that you routinely left her to play on CT without supervision.

I didn't think you were a bad or negligent parent from reading your OP, and I apologise profusely that my (overly long) comment did not make that more clear.

It by NO MEANS was too long. I appreciate the in-depth comment you posted. Regardless of whether you misunderstood (which easily happens cause tone of voice, context and such can and is easily misunderstood over online/text!)

Being a good, involved, loving, patient, understanding, open minded, compassionate, caring, and dedicated mom is something I pride myself in, and when it was mentioned or suggested that I possibly wasn't around or supervising I perhaps got a lil upset (my MIL gives me A LOTTA grief and always has NO MATTER I DO,SAY,ETC as a parent...to her I will NEVER be good enough and so I am a tad sensitive I guess) and I was mad at myself cause I was there!! I was preoccupied for only a moment and yet this STILL HAPPENED!!!!! ugh...

Yes we have had a few negative experiences but NOTHING with the likes of this. With the bell beggars, and obnoxious people that we have encountered it was easy to ignore them...and block them..which I did. I don't think my daughter realized HOW to do it yknow? I since have sat down and showed her JUST IN CASE.
When she woke up this morning I sat here down and we discussed it again, and she seems to understand that she cant go on CT at all without asking me first and having me sit by her. I told her I need to be in the position where I can give her my full attention while shes on the island...and she goes.."Oh mommy...I have a brilliant idea!! Lets buy you your OWN 3DS!!! Then we can go to the island TOGETHER and then I wont wanna even play with anyone on there or tour with them!!"
I have to hand it to her, it IS quite the brilliant idea! So I think until I go buy my own (once this winter storm is over) and I can actually accompany her to the island, she wont be going there.

- - - Post Merge - - -

UPDATE::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I want to apologize for my language in the OP. I used some really bad language and THAT is why this thread/and I received a warning. I bypassed the censoring with the use of asterisks...and I mean really its not to hard to decipher what I was saying, and there are in fact younger people who also go on these forums...and I stooped to a level I shouldn't. I will openly admit...I curse. like a lot. in MY opinion cursing isn't THAT BAD...when used in the right context or to explain or emphasize something, but not everyone feels this way and I need to respect that. I'm sorry if I came off anyway....that was NOT my intention. When I wrote the OP, I was BEYOND mad and frustrated and came to vent, which in the course of doing allowed my feelings to get the best of me.

I am so so sorry.

This sounds really messed up, and I've never had a experience like this. Maybe wait for a while before letting her go to CT!

That sucks for your daughter, who had to experience the terrible gaming community that exists (not only in CT but in many MANY gaming communities - LoL, DOTA, CS:GO, xbox live, etc)
This is a good opportunity to let her know why it is important to not pay attention to such toxic people. The way you describe her, she sounds like a sweet person who cares about everyone. Hopefully this won't change that.
I myself tend to play AC:NL alone, because I flat out want to relax with AC instead of getting anxious like in other consoles.

-- snip --

Yes we have had a few negative experiences but NOTHING with the likes of this. With the bell beggars, and obnoxious people that we have encountered it was easy to ignore them...and block them..which I did. I don't think my daughter realized HOW to do it yknow? I since have sat down and showed her JUST IN CASE.
When she woke up this morning I sat here down and we discussed it again, and she seems to understand that she cant go on CT at all without asking me first and having me sit by her. I told her I need to be in the position where I can give her my full attention while shes on the island...and she goes.."Oh mommy...I have a brilliant idea!! Lets buy you your OWN 3DS!!! Then we can go to the island TOGETHER and then I wont wanna even play with anyone on there or tour with them!!"
I have to hand it to her, it IS quite the brilliant idea! So I think until I go buy my own (once this winter storm is over) and I can actually accompany her to the island, she wont be going there.

-- snip --

You have yourself one very clever daughter!! That idea *is* absolutely brilliant! And it sounds like the perfect way for her to enjoy the gameplay without the risks.

Just as a suggestion, if/when she decides to try CT again, I would keep those rules you outlined to her this morning. Those are fair and reasonable rules that are for her protection as well as your peace of mind. There is no harm whatsoever in restricting her access to CT (should she want to go there) to times when you can sit with her while she plays.

---

I'm sorry to hear your MiL is one of *those* ones, the damage people like that cause to young families is one of my biggest frustrations. Random people harshly judging and criticising parents is problematic enough, but for a relative to do so ... gah. I hope you can find peace with yourself somehow, because she is very, very unlikely to change for the better.

---

Ah, the swearword bypass thing has tripped up more than just you. Now you know! I found it tough to adjust to personally - elsewhere I am used to self-censoring by using asterisks myself. But once I got the hang of it, it's okay. I just type the full word out now, which I find often means I end up deleting it to rephrase!

Last edited:
Im really sorry for what happened to you and your daughter, how awful :(. I think it's a great idea to have your own 3DS and to go with her, what a smart kid you have :).

I had never really had a bad experience on CT in the past, in fact I have met some very good friends there, but I hadn't been for a while and I went the other night and had two very unfortunate encounters. I will be avoiding it myself from now on.

Back