• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you feel about how strongly the site rules are enforced on here?

How are the rules and moderators?

• Too lenient.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • About right.

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Too strict.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Just making this as I'm a little frustrated recently that the site rules are actually enforced. I mean, it does make sense, but still.

So, what do you think?​

Remember that discussing others' infractions isn't tolerated and bashing the site will make the staff shed a couple tears.

I think... the site leaders strive to the goal of being as fair and equal as they can allowing members of the community to have a good time on this site.

Last edited:
I think they are fair for the most part but sometimes even a tad lenient.

I'd say a little too strict. Most of the rules make sense though... I just don't like the short post rule.

Last edited:
It depends on what you're talking about.... I know some things are not at all tolerated, while others things people frequently get away with or the mods overlook. But in terms of how strict or lenient they are, I'd say they're pretty moderate, if anything, lenient. Go over to ACC and you'll see how relaxed this site truly is.

The people who voted for "too strict" are obviously the ones who get rightfully in trouble often and are expressing their anger through this thread. lol

Ikr how dare they actually pay attention to the rules they put into place, they should just ignore them and let the site be a huge mess (/s)

I just received a warning for posting a reply that was too short...on a thread where everyone was posting a number and that's it. I mean, I like the rules, for the most part, but I wasn't spamming or anything and I was kind of shocked.

There is nothing wrong with the rules to this site. Everyone is given a right to express and be themselves. The problems set in when users go against the rules, take situations too far and many more. Again, I believe the rules here are perfectly reasonable. The people who act against these rules are the ones who complain about this sort of crap.

Case closed.

I just received a warning for posting a reply that was too short...on a thread where everyone was posting a number and that's it. I mean, I like the rules, for the most part, but I wasn't spamming or anything and I was kind of shocked.

There's a report button in the warning/infraction PMs that you can use to ask about your warning. I've used it before to ask for better explanations of warnings 'cause sometimes I just straight up don't understand what warranted it and I've always been given a pretty good explanation.

Although now theres the Contact The Staff board, idk if that's a better way to go about that?

I think the rules are mostly reasonable, but I feel like some of the enforcement is a little excessive. I've received several warnings for post quality. I sometimes like to make short, snarky remarks to be funny and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I know there are things which can derail a thread, but I think in some cases the staff should let the discussion go where people want to take it and only step in if things really get out of hand. An off-topic or exaggerated post here and there isn't going to kill a thread. If I were part of the staff, I think it would be a major waste of my time to write up infractions for random one-liners that people post. I'd much rather focus on stopping obvious bullying, flaming, and bad topics. And before I get the "rules are the rules" response, I've seen staff post on many threads telling people they should calm down or chill out, so I'd just have the same advice for staff and ask them to use some discretion.

Last edited:
I think the moderators are definitely fair :) There are only maybe 1 or 2 times I disagreed with something, but they weren't big things. Definitely not anything that makes me think they are unfair or anything. Well, I've never been given an infraction or warning for anything so who knows if those are ever given out unfairly? But just from my experience, I really like how the site is moderated!

Just making this as I'm a little frustrated recently that the site rules are actually enforced. I mean, it does make sense, but still.

So, what do you think?​

Remember that discussing others' infractions isn't tolerated and bashing the site will make the staff shed a couple tears.

I think you've confused tears with popping popcorn.

And naturally if you think someone is getting away with something that other members wouldn't naturally, report it. Staff will look over it.

I think you've confused tears with popping popcorn.

And naturally if you think someone is getting away with something that other members wouldn't naturally, report it. Staff will look over it.

I don't think any of staff play favorites or single out specific people, but I do think there is a significant difference between what different members of the staff allow on this site. Everyone is human, so it's impossible to have a completely uniform standard, but I imagine you let a lot of stuff go that some other staff will hand out warnings and infractions for (although I've been wrong about people before). I'd like it if we could see which staff member issued a warning or infraction for transparency, but I understand reasons for not wanting to single that staff member out.

I voted for "about right" but I think things are somewhere between that and "too lenient" (although definitely closer to the former than the latter).

I appreciate that we can discuss all kinds of things here, and I personally enjoy doing so. I'm also conscious of the demographic for this site, which skews very young (teens and early-to-mid 20s), and this has a big impact on how discussion occurs. I participate in a variety of comment sections discussion groups and this is the only one which skews that way.

That's not a bad thing, please don't get me wrong! I don't think the rules need to change to make them less lenient or anything, either. I believe that the situation here creates more work for the admins and mods, but I'm glad they're willing to put in the extra work so we can have the chance to have all kinds of dscussion here.

Definitely fairly run

I'd like it if we could see which staff member issued a warning or infraction for transparency, but I understand reasons for not wanting to single that staff member out.
I got a warning about a year or two ago and it came through a PM directly from one of the Mods, and I'd assume infractions get reviewed by multiple staff members

Last edited:
I think it's just that most of the users here don't seem to understand how the reports system actually works and thus they assume it's way too strict the moment they receive a warning for something they don't think they deserved.

A warning is simply a minor, friendly reminder to follow the rules, nothing more. It's not serious, and providing you actually take the feedback on board, it means nothing and won't affect you in the long run. It's simply so we have an archive of all prior offences for when users start doing more serious offences, and we have a quick and easy history to look over. If you're just getting a warning here and there, that's fine (obviously I'm not saying you should go out and try get a warning every few months for the sake of it), it only becomes an issue when you receive a number of warnings in a short time period for the same thing - that's when it becomes an issue, and you'll start receiving infractions and bans. If you're just receiving a warning here and there for post quality, it's not anything to stress about. Just take a step back, see why you got the warning, understand it, and move on.

The next thing I see a lot is "inconsistent and targeting". Often users will report their warnings and say it's unfair because someone else posted something worse than them, or that we are targeting them, and why didn't anyone else get a warning? Chances are they probably did, you just don't know it because all reports are done and dealt with behind the scenes, so no one but that staff and the user in question know who received what. It's really tiring when users constantly complain about a warning (which I've already mentioned is minor at best), saying it's unfair because someone else posted this or that and therefore we are obviously targeting them and treating them unfairly. I can assume I that all reports are dealt with fairly and consistently, but if you do actually have an issue with why you received a warning/infraction, feel free to report it with your reasoning and we'll look into it - but chances are it'll stay.

Back when I was an immature teen I too thought a lot of the rules here were too strict and/or really dumb (*cough*signature rules*cough*), but now I 'Ve matured, looking back I can actually see and understand why they enforce them. Alongside other things, you want to build a decent quality forum, no one wants to read a thread of everyone posting "same" or "I agree" for every post.

At the end of the day, as long as you respect others and make sure your posts are contributing, and are appropriate for all age brackets, you're most likely going to be fine, we're really not asking a lot. I mean is it really that detrimental you reply to a post saying "lol swag XD" in a thread about your favorite color?

The world's against me. not really Everyone and everything!

Last edited:
Back