• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Does anyone use a feature phone or "dumb" phone?

I do. I've had my phone for like five or six years. It's worn out but I don't want a new one. I don't call or text anyone ever so what is the point in going and buying a new phone I won't even use.

My father does, he's scared of making a cruel mistake with new technology, so he rather stick to his broken flip phone.

I think all phones are dumb phones tbh

I have a samsung galaxy s7 and I rly wish I had a princess phone lol

Last edited:
i read somewhere that flip phones are actually still popular in japan they just have updated versions. makes me kind of want a flip phone with those cute charms attatched to it. but no i have an iphone 5s but would gladly take a cute flip phone. i think having just a plain phone would help with less distractions in the day but i would feel disconnected i guess :) also the animal crossing app is coming soon, so find a phone that can download apps fast!

I have had the same Nokia Asha since about 2011. Love it (especially since I have a black star case for it, which only now do I really appreciate). Literally the only thing I wish I had a "proper" phone for is for pictures. The new iPhone looks like it's amazing for photography.

Phones themselves are dumb, though. Calling people on the phone will be replaced by free services like Skype shortly enough. And rightfully so.

No? I feel like that's just causing yourself unnecessary problems. Like, sure, angrily tapping a screen can't ever beat angrily flipping the phone close, but why would you willingly give up what has become a necessity? You'd have to go out of your way for things people would do in seconds.

They're re-releasing the nokia bricks which is super cool cause they're literally indestructible. I have a smart phone because I use the apps/games and like the really good camera it has. I only know like two people with flip phones and one is my grandma, the other is my hippy dippy cousin. XD

no lmao. i had a flip phone from 2008 to 2012 but that was just so that i'd be able to call people or be called if i rly needed to. i didnt use it a lot for anything but it was good for my parents to have a way of contacting me and stuff like thatttt

i'd Never go back to using a flip phone if i had the choice between a smartphone and an old brick that u can talk to ppl thru and do sudokus on,, i use my phone for so many things that would be impossible with an old phone.

u seriously had to press a button 4 times to get an s. how are you supposed to text like that? ):

Flip phones are very popular in Japan. It's still used over there over iphones

I don't but many of my family, friends, and colleagues do still use flip phones and "brick" phones. Most of them have other solutions they're happy with for the things people use smart phones for (usually a tablet or laptop + good camera). But I know a fair few who live happily without constant internet access.

It's not for me, although I held out on getting a smart phone as long as I could (combination of work + personal circumstances led to one becoming the most practical option).

Last edited:
I have a flip phone, but I never really use it..Only for emergencies or if I have to make a phone call with it. Other then that it just collects dust, never been fond of using a cellphone..

I used to, mainly because my parents couldn't afford to get me a smartphone. I thought it was the coolest thing ever to own a flip-phone but nobody else thought that way :( I eventually got smartphones, I feel bad that I forced my dad to buy me ?100+ smartphones that he couldn't afford just because I cared too much about what other people thought of me. I get teased for owning an iPhone 4s by kids with much more money than me (second-hand, because that's all we could afford) but it's a reliable phone and it does it's job at least.

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning a flip-phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and I hate it. It's got a crack in the middle then hairline cracks all over it. I don't even know how I did it to be frank. I just hate it, but I don't know where I'd be without it lol. I like it because I can talk to the few friends I have and watch Youtube. That's all I do it on so I could've just stuck with my S5 but it was completely broken.
Maybe I'm just clumsy as ****.

i own a flip phone. its pretty cute. i never use it though since nobody texts me, they just message me on facebook :(
i plan on getting the S6 edge soon.

I feel like flip phones definitely are no longer too relevant. I mean, you can still use them for texting and calling but a smartphone is a lot better and can do both those things better and faster.

I personally feel glad I can browse the internet on my phone. It's sooooo handy! I'd never go back; I wouldn't want to depress myself.

I think all phones are dumb phones tbh

I have a samsung galaxy s7 and I rly wish I had a princess phone lol

May I just say I love the picture on your signature!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I used to, mainly because my parents couldn't afford to get me a smartphone. I thought it was the coolest thing ever to own a flip-phone but nobody else thought that way :( I eventually got smartphones, I feel bad that I forced my dad to buy me ?100+ smartphones that he couldn't afford just because I cared too much about what other people thought of me. I get teased for owning an iPhone 4s by kids with much more money than me (second-hand, because that's all we could afford) but it's a reliable phone and it does it's job at least.

No, not at all! I'd think someone with a flip phone or iPhone 4S is cool because they're not obsessed with the latest technology

People who tease others for what they own/don't own are horrible people and have self esteem problems if they get their self worth from material possessions.

To be honest, I'm considering going back. Smart phones are breeching so expensive, my plan is going to be expensive. And they brake so much easier than a flip phone or a bar phone

Had a flip-phone for a long time when I was younger, I wouldn't reccomend them over a smart phone. They are cute, but they can't do apps like smartphones can.

Y'all think it would be easy to go back, but you basically cannot access browsers or anything. I know I personally need my smartphone because I work on it and my apps are usually things like Kindle for textbooks, Delta and AA for my flights, a few camera apps for fixing coloring/lighting issues in photos, and task/planning apps. Can't say my life would be easier without them long term or short term.

Back