• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Males in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

The_Storyteller

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Hi all!

I frankly love adding that vibe of "manliness" to my towns, I feel like they need it! In Kaptan, my main town, this role is fulfilled by the punky purple poison master, Danica. Not a male, obviously, but the style of her house adds those dark, modern tones that I usually go for in my male houses, and effectively satisfies my need for a bit of guyness.

However, I'm really having a time trying to figure out how to do her house! Thanks to the Welcome Amiibo update, there's now tons more furniture to experiment with, and really, in terms of male characters, there's more items in New Leaf than in any other Animal Crossing game. I'm still really disappointed, though. I think there definitely needs to be more clothes, accessories, furniture and just items in general for male characters! It's even weird how the girls can get away with (and actually look kind of cute) wearing the boy hairstyles and clothing items, but if a boy were to run around with a heart shirt and ponytail, he'd look like a joke!

My friend and I used to play a lot of New Leaf together, and he always struggles with what to do with his house so that it didn't look too girly. There are ways, obviously. I've seen it done really well. But there's definitely not the same flexibility, at least not in my opinion.

I always thought Animal Crossing was kind of a girls' game, but the truth is, I don't even know for sure that it is. I haven't met that many people that play, so it's hard to tell, but why should it be a game where you have to play as a girl to enjoy all the items? Does anyone agree with me or am I alone in these feelings?

I know that feeling. I'll admit that I'm too much of a tomboy, so because of that it, it takes me a while to get used to having girly furniture in my house or having my mayor wear a dress. That's not to say I don't like anything girly, though. I just prefer other things.

But despite how girly Animal Crossing can be at times, I don't like it calling it a girl's game. To me, it's more of a game for anybody who wants to just relax without stressing too much, regardless of gender. Still, it would be great to see the developers add some more items for male players too. Everybody should play the game without feeling uncomfortable about certain things.

eh, I don't really have any problems with gender-items, but I do see what you're saying

Hmm, interesting perspective. I live in a capital city and used to be a part of the video game/anime/pop culture circuit. I've seen hundreds, possibly thousands of players play over the years (conventions were a great way to meet other ACNL players lol). A pretty equal mix of male and female, as well as plenty of people who identify as neither.

A few guys have rolled their eyes at the cute dresses and pink furniture, but I haven't really heard many people say they think AC is for *girls*. Not actual players at any rate.

I guess it depends a lot on where you live and your social circles. Personally, I don't spend much time with people who have rigid ideas of gender and associated things, that's just not been something I was bought up with at all. In fact one of the most annoying things for me about AC is how focal binary gender is in the game. It's just such an old fashioned, out dated, scientifically inaccurate way of categorising people.

I would love to see more clothes and accessories in general, for all tastes and themes. :)

I've never really had a problem with that. My house is pretty masculine, a friend even commented on how manly it was, lol. I'm also rocking a girl's hair due, but my character looks like a lumberjack.

Last edited:
Yeah if you're looking for some classic manly inspo I would highly recommend visiting Nooblord's DA.

I was having trouble with this for a while, because I have a femme male mayor in Valo and his SO is a very manly guy, I figured out what I am going to do with his house and I'm going to make in an apartment building with a gym and a bar downstairs that way i can incorporate more "manly" stuff into it. I definitely think a lot of the wood furniture and things like the astro and sleek set give off more a manly vibe if you need furniture ideas, as well as the video game and sports themed stuff.

I was looking over a list of furniture sets and thought that it seemed pretty even in the feminine/masculine ratio, but then I realized that I considered a lot of the "masculine" stuff to be more neutral than masculine. And I wonder if this isn't because girls/women don't have to have girly stuff. We don't even have to be feminine. But it's still less okay for boys to be feminine and have girly things. There's still a stigma surrounding boys who don't conform to what their gender is "supposed" to be. Thankfully that definition is becoming progressively less rigid. We'll get there eventually.

I've got this best friend and he plays as a girl but I never really that much thought into it because I play whichever gender I want as well. I know he's REALLY into this game so maybe he did wind up playing as a girl because of the better selection of, well, EVERYTHING!

I feel this way because before he reset he did play as a boy, though I do believe his character was much less extravagant and interesting, as was his house and he LOVES extravagant, wild, complex things, so he felt forced to reset and so he rebuilt everything and I'm pretty sure he's going for one of those, like, model towns you see pictures of, what with all those paths and elaborate flower and tree placement.

Last edited:
when i think of animal crossing it definitely has those stereotypical feminine bits to it which outsiders may find weird if you're a dude (gardening, decorating, shopping) but i think the animal crossing community doesnt give a **** especially tbt... but i still dont know what you're saying. if you mean the items and stuff i think animal crossing does a good job of adding stuff both boys and girls would like. good examples are the modern set since it has a masculine vibe and the princess set since it has a feminine vibe. then theres sets that are just neutral to anything like the alpine set. of course the vibes of the furniture have nothing to do with who can use them ofc im just saying thats probably what they were aiming for when making the sets. as for clothes i kinda agree? theres a lot of dresses which seems unfair but i've seen a lot of guy clothes (all the varsity jackets, after school jackets, etc.) plus all the gender neutral shirts with the wacky patterns. but thats where QR codes come in also. i agree with you on hairstyles though, i think both genders deserve better customization options for hair. wigs also seem unfair but its not that big of a deal. theres a lot of other cool hats that are aimed for guys like the dj cap and cow bone hat.

i guess it all depends on your view of masculinity though. in the end i would say animal crossing is a game that definitely has a bigger girl fanbase without trying but that doesnt mean we should stop playing that would be inconsiderate and rude tbh. USE THE **** IT ADJUSTMENT (game grumps reference lol)

as a female i don't see anything wrong with guys playing animal crossing. i actually got my boyfriend into it and a few people ridiculed him for it which wasn't fair. i think it has feminine qualities but it doesn't make you less of a man if you like the game. there are more girls who play as a whole however it shouldn't stop others, it's a game for everyone.
i do think that it's unfair though that there's more things for girls, i hope they add more things for boys in the next game or even update ACNL again to give them wigs, clothing, etc.

Last edited:
Disappointing at the lack of male audience and items in AC. I created a male side char for variety and OMG I CANT FIND ANYTHING GOOD TO WEAR!! sometimes I wonder how the male players manage!!

Back