• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Town Planning/Inspiration? (Forest and Garden Towns)

Rarr01

Bells
I just picked up ACNL again after over a year! I reset my town and got a new cartridge, so I have two new towns in need of decorating. Is there a way that you like to plan your towns? I would post map pictures because I want suggestions but I don't know how to get a screen cap of the bottom screen. I am planning for the town Willow to be a garden/tea party theme and for ?lesund to be a forest. Both of them are going to be natural, no/minimal paths, no plot-resetting, and I don't prefer to have massive amounts of flowers. If you have a garden or forest town, pictures would be great! I don't have a dream suite yet, but I can visit those over the weekend most likely.

I recently reset too!! I actually decided to do a my neighbor totoro themed town! (and some other ghibli characters, i dunno if it will be a fairy forest town or a dark forest town yet) I don't have the dream suite yet, but once i start landscaping i'll make sure to take a picture or two.

Last edited:
You can upload a pic of the bottom screen on MiiVerse then post the pic here, or take a picture of the map on the top screen when deleting a PWP at the town hall.

oh that sounds really nice!! I just got the island on my forest town so I can start landscaping my beach a bit and for my garden town I got the garden exterior! Getting a new town is always so exciting, I can't wait to start doing PWP's. I'm so bad a placement though so I definitely need to visit some dreams to even get an idea of where things look good! lol.

You can take a screencap of your bottom screen by pressing the Home button and then go to Miiverse on the top right part of the menu. when you get to Miiverse, it gives you the option of screencapping either the top or bottom screen. :)

As for town planning, I usually start landscaping around my mayor's house first and determine where I want my bridges to go. I found that planning a pathway from the bridges and your house (along with the train station) can help get a feel of what I wanted to do with my town. Maybe acnl-inspire can help you get ideas? :)

Either way, good luck!

Here are pictures!

willow.jpg
This is Willow, the garden themed town. I think I want the campsite would look good on the little peninsula in the left, where it sort of juts out a bit.

Alesund.jpg
This is ?lesund, the northern forest town inspired by folk tales and Norway!

I need suggestions on where to put the permanent buildings and on what PWP's would look good!

When planning my towns, I always make a Word or Pages document, and list each of the human characters I want to have, right down to their face and hair types, what clothing they'll wear, and what their catchphrases will be. I make note of what exterior parts I need for each of their houses, and what I want each of their rooms to be (and what furniture I'll need for each room). I make a list of PWPs I plan to have for the town--for this, it helps to look at images of all of the possible PWPs, so I can see what will best fit the feel of my town. I also make a list of each of the character's pattern slots and what patterns I plan to make for each (I don't use QRs, but if I did, they would go on this list). I make a note of what flower types and colors, bushes, etc. I want for the town, and what time of year I'll set the dream address. I usually sketch my map on paper, so I can play around with where things will go.

All of my towns are themed towns, so I have folders on my computer where I save reference pics (like screenshots from the movie, game, TV show, etc. the town is themed after). Even if I weren't doing a theme, I'd probably still have folders to use like a mood board. Come to think of it, Pinterest would be a great place to make a mood board for town planning!

Last edited:
Your towns sound so cute!
Inspiration for a forest town look up the town of North it's a beautiful town I think everyone knows.
I'd probably have fairytale pwp for Willow and Zen for Alesund.
My town is mostly pines if that's what you mean by northern forest town :) getting pine starts takes forever.
I'd put the caf? by retail and police staion right of the train station even with retail in Alesund.

Willow cafe right town hall and station left town hall.

@Athelwyn
Wow, that sounds so intense! I'm sure I would benefit from some kind of written organization though. I have a general idea of what I want but drawing my map out would help so much! I'm so afraid to put down any PWP's because I'm afraid that I'll regret where I put them but then I just never end up doing anything like what happened with my last town.

@Mayor-of-Bliss
Thank you so much!! I'm super excited to begin them. I didn't consider the fairytale things before now but I think they would look super cute mixed with some of the more earthy things! Luckily on that cartridge I already have a ton of PWP's unlocked but again I'm apprehensive about putting them down which is actually weird because I choose good places with my previous town. I'm just really terrible at making decisions!

Without really planning it, my town has become a cluster of gardens. And my paths were inspired by the white and blue porcelain of Royal Copenhagen, so for me it feels like a garden party town. Without the party. I think it's just because of my own associations. I'm not sure if anyone else would feel that feeling.

That sounds so pretty!! I'll have to visit your Dream address! I'm not sure if I want paths yet but something like that sounds super regal and beautiful

I made a guide for planning and landscaping a long time ago on my tumblr, but I need to update it. Basically how I plan my towns is like this:
I decide on how many player characters I want to have and what villagers I want (dream villagers if you will). Next I move all of my flowers to the beach and cut down all of the trees (give myself a blank slate). Now I use paths, but even if you are going for a natural forest look I still suggest doing this, I start connecting things with paths. I start with things like town hall, the plaza, retail, train station, character houses, and I play attention to paths that I take normally when walking around. I plan spaces for villagers, characters, PWP, other buildings such as the police station and cafe if I'm going to include them, etc until I have paths that work for me. If you're not hacking, start hoarding tree saplings and bush starts as soon as you get the flower shop because after I get my paths set up how I want, I start landscaping around them and around houses and buildings and basically work on one area at a time. If ever I get tired of landscaping, I work on houses. I usually think about what themes I want in rooms to begin with, how many expansions I want, and then I look through all of the furniture here and make a list of all the things I want for the character. (I usually hack them in now, but it can also just help you know what to collect from shops). And with the welcome amiibo update it's super easy to move all your stuff around so I just usually dump a bunch of stuff in the room then move it around until I'm happy. And I just keep working like that until I develop my town how I want it. If you don't want to use paths you can kick up the ones you laid down to begin with so that things look more natural, but you still have kind of a clear direction of how to navigate the town. Hopefully this helped!

That sounds so pretty!! I'll have to visit your Dream address! I'm not sure if I want paths yet but something like that sounds super regal and beautiful

You're very welcome to! It's probably a bit basic, compared to a lot of towns, but all the spaces are filled with either flowers/bushes or PWPs or mushrooms or all of those things :p So like, it's not bare by any means.

Back