do sex offenders get enough jail time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rape is just as bad as murder in my opinion. Rape means a victim is traumatized for the rest of their life, and murder means that the victim's family suffers with grief and sorrow. It causes emotional pain, and in some cases (like a survivor of the Columbine massacre), a survivor or family member kills themselves thanks to the emotional pain. Rape can also cause suicide and it changes people forever.
Murder sometimes only gives you 15-20 years, but mass killing (such as a spree killer or serial killer) usually gives you life. So, in my opinion, raping someone multiple times or being a serial rapist should equal to life imprisonment, whilst a singular rape should give you 15-30 years along with a permanent sexual offender registry.
However, there are some problems with the legal system, such an example is Norway. Anders Breivik killed 70+ people and only got 21 or so years because life imprisonment doesn't exist there. All countries should make mass killings and serial raping a life imprisonment sentence. Especially Norway.
Anders is definitely going to be assassinated when he gets out lol.

That's just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
In the case the OP used as an example, by the time he gets out of prison he'll be like 75-ish, and I've never seen a horny 75 year old man. His sex drive will have died by then.

I think it's unfair to hold grudges against people who are going to jail. It just sounds like a childish angry mob. We may as well be stoning criminals, because everyone saying "he should be executed, murdered, skinned alive, ect" is extremely savage and you may as well be a brainless caveman. The justice system works the way it does for a reason, that's all there is to it.

Here, our legal system is fine. I don't know why the outrage on her being 16, because 14 is actually the 'semi-legal' age here. It's hard to explain to braindead people, but at 14 the law is that children are able to make their own choices(i.e sex). This law came into place when a 14 year old girl went to her doctor because she had sex (consenting) and was refused an abortion (which is even harder to explain to countries who have banned abortions altogether). Now, the law is that if you are 14-16 and you go to your GP for contraceptive or for an abortion, the authorities won't be called. But the 'legal' age for having sex is 16. I'm not justifying rape, but I am just clearing up the age thing.

I think his sentence was fine, especially if you take into account this will include a historical sex abuse charge with his other daughter.

there are old sex offenders.
it isnt childish to hold grudges against your abusers or to hate the ppl who made u a victim of crime. it goes both ways, prison isnt a personal punishment. no individual has to forgive or forget. prison is only society's way of punishing and "clearing" ppl of what theyve done. many people choose to avoid sex offenders even when theyve been out and rehabilitated for 20 yrs. unfair? idk. no one has to hang out with sex offendersif they dont want to. it sucks that people who truly want to get back into society arent hired even for jobs where being a sex offender shouldnt matter. tho thats not what this is about i guess

people can say they want sex offenders dead but if it ever were to happen..,,, thats not ok at All. and i hope the people who say these things understand that. have all personal grudges u want but thats not going to happen. we cant kill criminals because we feel they are too bad to be alive. sex offenders should be protected from assault in prison.
also having no conscience (or appearing to nto have any) often makes ppl go all "WOW.. .THIS CRIMINAL..,. HAS NO SOUL. NOT HUMAN,,..." which is problematic in many ways and Really gross. personal feelings of whats right and wrong and morale and whatever do not make it ok to kill these "non humans" and all the talk about that is just . Great . or not

also people who say we shouldnt use animals as test subjects but instead use prisoners.,..,.. ok? ,, well u Sure Loev Human Rights .,.,

- - - Post Merge - - -

Rape is just as bad as murder in my opinion. Rape means a victim is traumatized for the rest of their life, and murder means that the victim's family suffers with grief and sorrow. It causes emotional pain, and in some cases (like a survivor of the Columbine massacre), a survivor or family member kills themselves thanks to the emotional pain. Rape can also cause suicide and it changes people forever.
Murder sometimes only gives you 15-20 years, but mass killing (such as a spree killer or serial killer) usually gives you life. So, in my opinion, raping someone multiple times or being a serial rapist should equal to life imprisonment, whilst a singular rape should give you 15-30 years along with a permanent sexual offender registry.
However, there are some problems with the legal system, such an example is Norway. Anders Breivik killed 70+ people and only got 21 or so years because life imprisonment doesn't exist there. All countries should make mass killings and serial raping a life imprisonment sentence. Especially Norway.
Anders is definitely going to be assassinated when he gets out lol.

That's just my opinion, though.

breivik might be in for life. if he is seen as dangerous when his 21 yrs are over they can make the sentence 5 yrs longer and after those years 5 another yrs can be added and so on. so if he still is dangerous and spreads messages of killing ppl he'll probably be put in for life

and again, prison is to some extent a punishment But the length of the sentence shouldnt be based on how much suffering they caused. victims of other crimes are traumatized too. that doesnt mean that everyone who traumatizes someone else should be put in for life. in sweden there are damage fees (.... is that what it is called in english?) that are paid to the victim/victim's family to kinda "compensate" for the trauma and suffering. im sure u have that in other countries too but idk to what extent so yh

i personally think it is better to work on preventing sex crimes than to focus on making sex offenders look like satan himself. it doesnt help anyone. i dont think we shouldnt dislike sex offenders but focusing on how you want to torture them isnt ?????? that great????

- - - Post Merge - - -

No they need to be executed, or put in jail forever. Especially pedophile rapists.

thats bc of personal grudges tho.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't think anyone is saying that there's anything wrong with a 16 year old consenting to sex, but when it comes to raping a 16 year old, it is still seen as raping a child and not an adult because a 16 year old is not fully mature still (in most cases). That's where the problem lies, not whatever the age of consent is, but the fact that a child is being violated by an adult. Now, I understand that actually skinning people and killing people is "savage" as you say. However, I'm sure you understand why people would feel this way, especially about child rapists, or parents who rape their own children. It might be easy to say, "Oh but they are people too, we must treat them with dignity." But when you know someone who has been raped, or you yourself are a victim, or that happened to your own child, I'm sure it will be hard to say, "Treat them fairly." I respect your opinion, but I think that this is a topic that isn't black and white. Yes, the right thing to do is to treat them fairly with dignity, but it isn't so easy for some people to feel that way when you see a child who has been traumatised and damaged because of rape, or even a fully grown person suffering because it happened to them. So I wouldn't say it's a "savage" thing to want them to die or suffer, but rather a very human thing. Not right, morally speaking, but a very natural reaction for people.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

i agree. in sweden the age of consent is 15 which i Hate. not bc i dont think 15 yr olds should have sex but bc adults shouldnt have sex with kids no matter if they "consented". i wish there would be two ages of consent, one for other kids and one for adults. idk i just think it would help prevent teens being taken advantage of.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I didn't say that but "his sex drive would have died by then" isn't guaranteed either.

Whether the justice system ruins someone's life or not is irrelevant. People have every right and every reason to be mad at and hate people like this, as well as wish for worse to happen to them. Having emotions regardless of how strong they are is never a childish or stupid thing and you aren't more mature than someone for not being able to relate to them.

yes ppl are allowed to have emotions but they shouldnt try to base legal stuff on their own emotions. none of us in this discussion can actually change the law i get it but, like, if we have a discussion on how long rapists should be in prison then thats like... what should the law ppl do?? if u get what i mean idk i feel like im not making sense but what im trying to say is that emotions have no place in the law. emotions are allowed to be had and theres nothing wrong with having opinions, feelings and thoughts. the problem is if u take that stuff with you to court bc then i isnt the law deciding the sentence, it is your personal feelings and beliefs.

Last edited:
For some reason, I always thought pepper spray was illegal.. Or is that just bear mace?

Depends on where you are. In the UK, the closest thing you can buy is this pink stuff that stains. Of course, I'm sure you could easily find something that would sting if sprayed at someone. Just make sure it wouldn't cause eye damage.

Sadly i've already recieved an infraction so i can't say something ****ed up. Honestly i don't care about it, they should just bring back the eye for an eye concept so that the victims can do some scarring **** to deter sex offenders

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah, i remember what it was called now. The principle of retaliation

I was going to relate my own experiences of sexual abuse here, but then I realized that it probably wouldn't change any minds. The victims rarely matter when it comes to rape and sexual assault cases, unless they're being grilled on what they were wearing, were the drunk, are they sure they weren't really asking for it, etc. Because, in the US, that is exactly the attitude we have towards rape here. And, wow, it really shows.

Rape is the crime that keeps on hurting forever. It changes how you look at yourself. It changes how other people look at you. And there will always be a small part of you that wonders if it really was your fault. Maybe your skirt was too short, maybe your chest was too big, maybe your smile was flirtatious that day, maybe it was your fault since you had a little too much to drink, maybe it was your fault since you left the safety your house. You'll hear those same sentiments from the news, your friends, your family, your coworkers, again and again until you can repeat the verbatim in your sleep.

So, I don't really think wanting sexual offenders to face more severe punishment is 'childish' or 'overly-emotional'. That being said, 21 years seems like decent enough time, but sex offenders should probably undergo chemical castration in order to curb sexually aggressive behavior. It isn't some sort of arcane torture, and it happens to be reversible. And honestly, I don't care that much about the sex life of someone who thought it was perfectly okay to violate someone in the first place.

I think jailed for life should be used for someone who takes a life or lives..

Just speaking from personal experience, being raped/sexually abused/exploited can be just as bad as taking someone's life, because of the psychological damage that victims have to live with. it messed you up for life, and for many, it becomes too much and they take their own life.

for these reasons, i respectfully disagree with your statement.

Just speaking from personal experience, being raped/sexually abused/exploited can be just as bad as taking someone's life, because of the psychological damage that victims have to live with. it messed you up for life, and for many, it becomes too much and they take their own life.

for these reasons, i respectfully disagree with your statement.

Sometimes rape can be as bad as murder depending on the circumstances, but most of the time, alive is better than dead even with the psychological damage inflicted. One of the unintended consequences of saying rape = murder and that rapists should automatically spend life in prison or be executed is that it may send the message to rapists that they might as well kill the victim since they have nothing to lose at that point from a legal standpoint. At least there are resources to try to help rape victims cope with the damage, but there are no resources to bring someone back to life.

Sometimes rape can be as bad as murder depending on the circumstances, but most of the time, alive is better than dead even with the psychological damage inflicted. One of the unintended consequences of saying rape = murder and that rapists should automatically spend life in prison or be executed is that it may send the message to rapists that they might as well kill the victim since they have nothing to lose at that point from a legal standpoint. At least there are resources to try to help rape victims cope with the damage, but there are no resources to bring someone back to life.

I mean, that's why I tried not to use the definite phrase "is", I said it CAN be. I do agree with your sentiment that it could send that bad message, but also keep in mind that not all rapists are looking to kill a person, either. (For whatever reason, some can live with raping a person, but not with killing a person, ain't that some fascinating psychological caca?)

Sentences should be stricter than what they are in America now, I'm still angry over the Brock Turner thing. I have a lemon that has been in my fridge longer than he was in jail, after ADMITTING to rape.

Now, my boyfriend is a former cop, and we had a LONG hard talk about why that went down the way it did. It was all due to Turner accepting a plea deal, which is why he got such a light sentence.

That said, that judge should go under review for even giving him the OPTION of such a lightly sentenced plea deal.

It's a whole huge mess and I don't want to recant most of the discussion he and I had, but the hard truth of the matter is that between false rape allegations that result in rape kits being taken and backing up testing centers so that cases of genuine rape do not get processed in a timely manner, an already corrupted judicial system, and multiple other factors...rape cannot and will never be properly dealt with in our country.

Sadly i've already recieved an infraction so i can't say something ****ed up. Honestly i don't care about it, they should just bring back the eye for an eye concept so that the victims can do some scarring **** to deter sex offenders

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yeah, i remember what it was called now. The principle of retaliation
why
do you also think people who murder someone should be murdered by the victim's family
n that someone who robbed someone sjhould b robbed back by their victim
then why do we even have prisons and all that lmao wtf

I mean, that's why I tried not to use the definite phrase "is", I said it CAN be. I do agree with your sentiment that it could send that bad message, but also keep in mind that not all rapists are looking to kill a person, either. (For whatever reason, some can live with raping a person, but not with killing a person, ain't that some fascinating psychological caca?)

Sentences should be stricter than what they are in America now, I'm still angry over the Brock Turner thing. I have a lemon that has been in my fridge longer than he was in jail, after ADMITTING to rape.

Now, my boyfriend is a former cop, and we had a LONG hard talk about why that went down the way it did. It was all due to Turner accepting a plea deal, which is why he got such a light sentence.

That said, that judge should go under review for even giving him the OPTION of such a lightly sentenced plea deal.

It's a whole huge mess and I don't want to recant most of the discussion he and I had, but the hard truth of the matter is that between false rape allegations that result in rape kits being taken and backing up testing centers so that cases of genuine rape do not get processed in a timely manner, an already corrupted judicial system, and multiple other factors...rape cannot and will never be properly dealt with in our country.

It's extremely upsetting and frustrating. To me, Brock Turner's entire court case was a huge slap in the face. It's hypocritical, since I strongly oppose vigilante justice, but I genuinely want(ed) to see him fry. Nothing like that should ever happen in the court of law ever again, rape should be taken more seriously. Period. I'm not saying life sentences, but such a forgiving plea bargain is disgraceful.

It's extremely upsetting and frustrating. To me, Brock Turner's entire court case was a huge slap in the face. It's hypocritical, since I strongly oppose vigilante justice, but I genuinely want(ed) to see him fry. Nothing like that should ever happen in the court of law ever again, rape should be taken more seriously. Period. I'm not saying life sentences, but such a forgiving plea bargain is disgraceful.

that's why it's widely agreed that that judge should undergo review, because the sentence was FAR too light for such a crime, and everyone knew it. Unfortunately, it hasn't actually been posed that that happen, and most likely won't at this point :/

Depends on where you are. In the UK, the closest thing you can buy is this pink stuff that stains. Of course, I'm sure you could easily find something that would sting if sprayed at someone. Just make sure it wouldn't cause eye damage.

You could probably use deodorant/body spray or perfume. I live in a **** neighbourhood so I walk home with my keys between my fingers. It normally deters attackers but there's sometimes that one idiot who tries to touch you and... well, you know ;) face-full of metal.

I don't even know why they banned mace here.

You could probably use deodorant/body spray or perfume. I live in a **** neighbourhood so I walk home with my keys between my fingers. It normally deters attackers but there's sometimes that one idiot who tries to touch you and... well, you know ;) face-full of metal.

I don't even know why they banned mace here.

they banned it mostly due to improper use, people pepper spraying people who weren't attacking them and so on. stupid people ruin things for everyone

if you use your keys as a means of defense, may i suggest one of these? you put your fingers through the eyeholes and use it to jab an attacker, they're legal and much easier to obtain than having to skirt around laws about what's considered a switchblade and what isn't, legalities regarding pepper spray, etc

they banned it mostly due to improper use, people pepper spraying people who weren't attacking them and so on. stupid people ruin things for everyone

if you use your keys as a means of defense, may i suggest one of these? you put your fingers through the eyeholes and use it to jab an attacker, they're legal and much easier to obtain than having to skirt around laws about what's considered a switchblade and what isn't, legalities regarding pepper spray, etc

Ugh, this is why we can't have nice things in this world..

But yes, that looks amazing! I have unfortunately had to use keys in self defence before, so I think I'll definitely buy this. And it's actually really cute oh my god.

- - - Post Merge - - -

HOLD THE PHONE THEY'RE SELLING KNIVES ON AMAZON US WHAT THE HELL

2017-09-3--17-47-13.jpg

i mean holosexual alert it's pretty but ????? that could, like, kill somebody???????????????

Last edited:
Ugh, this is why we can't have nice things in this world..

But yes, that looks amazing! I have unfortunately had to use keys in self defence before, so I think I'll definitely buy this. And it's actually really cute oh my god.

- - - Post Merge - - -

HOLD THE PHONE THEY'RE SELLING KNIVES ON AMAZON US WHAT THE HELL

View attachment 195414

i mean holosexual alert it's pretty but ????? that could, like, kill somebody???????????????

The jabber keychains are a reall great subtle way for self defense! I have one that looks like a german shepherd, along with an assisted opening knife, and some......perfectly...legal......police grade mace from my boyfriend >___>

The thing to keep in mind with knives is, yes, you can get them off amazon, and yes, they CAN even kill. He armed me with these tools because I work night shift alone, and he wanted me safe. The condition for me having them is that he taught me how to use them in the same manner that he used to teach self defense classes when he was still an active officer. This includes the rule that I never brandish them; I am only to bring out my knife if I intend, and have reason, to use it. Mind, that's a very big decision to make in a split second if something were to happen, but that's why he gave me less lethal tools of protection as well.

I'm really anti-gun, and when we started dating, it was a very big adjustment to be around guns, since he carries when we go out. But the same rule for my knife applies with his firearm, if he draws, he's already made the decision to fire, and taught me how to react and what to do should he ever have to when I'm near.

If you're going to be armed with something potentially lethal, you need to be responsible. (Not to mention looking up your state/country's laws regarding switch/assisted open knife, but the rules can often be unclear so it's often hard to see what is legal or not.)

- - - Post Merge - - -

10 years is probably fair

I'm curious about your reasoning?

10 years is probably fair

Nope. Well, at least in my opinion I don't think ten years would be fair.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The jabber keychains are a reall great subtle way for self defense! I have one that looks like a german shepherd, along with an assisted opening knife, and some......perfectly...legal......police grade mace from my boyfriend >___>

The thing to keep in mind with knives is, yes, you can get them off amazon, and yes, they CAN even kill. He armed me with these tools because I work night shift alone, and he wanted me safe. The condition for me having them is that he taught me how to use them in the same manner that he used to teach self defense classes when he was still an active officer. This includes the rule that I never brandish them; I am only to bring out my knife if I intend, and have reason, to use it. Mind, that's a very big decision to make in a split second if something were to happen, but that's why he gave me less lethal tools of protection as well.

I'm really anti-gun, and when we started dating, it was a very big adjustment to be around guns, since he carries when we go out. But the same rule for my knife applies with his firearm, if he draws, he's already made the decision to fire, and taught me how to react and what to do should he ever have to when I'm near.

If you're going to be armed with something potentially lethal, you need to be responsible. (Not to mention looking up your state/country's laws regarding switch/assisted open knife, but the rules can often be unclear so it's often hard to see what is legal or not.)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm curious about your reasoning?

Yeah, brass knuckle dusters, knives (sharp ones longer than 3 inches I think), throwing stars, swords and 'offensive weapons' are illegal here. Guns aren't sold, I've never seen them being sold & I've never seen one irl so I consider myself pretty lucky. Sometimes I question whether we need guns and knives and weapons, but then I remember we, as a species, suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back