• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do sex offenders get enough jail time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk about specific cases but i think more sex offenders should be caught and put in jail. 21 years is a very long sentence, that's more than some murderers get i think. i don't think the punishment of the perpetrator can heal the victim. when someone has been abused the damagw has already been done you know?
what upsets me more is the amount of rapists and sex offenders that go free, the amount of reported sex crimes that aren't properly investigated and also the way that the legal system treat the victims. i get that it shouldnt be easy to lie and say someone raped you but it isnt ok that so few rapist are sent to jail

21 years is a pretty long time, assuming they serve the entire sentence. It's enough to basically waste the life of a younger offender and practically see older offenders off to their grave.

Plus I think a lot of people have heard how sex offenders are treated in prison. Assuming those rumors are true (most of us probably don't have first hand evidence of this) it adds a bit more severity to the sentencing.

the daughter was 16
done to someone underaged
(btw this was in the U.K...

Not that I'm saying it makes it any better, but I'm fairly sure the age of consent in the UK is 16 (correct me if I'm wrong) and wouldn't be classed as underage.

definitely not lmao they should be thrown in jail for life, or at least 40 years minimum. if you're a piece of **** and you scar someone permanently you should suffer the consequences sorry not sorry!!1!1

The jail time is not enough. He should be castrated too.

^^^^ Make sure they can't touch anyone ever again.

Not to mention 21 years is one case. A lot of the times sex offenders get way less, just look at all those college athletes (and pro athletes who weren't even punished at all). I don't even think 21 years is enough but in most cases offenders don't even get near that and that needs to change.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also "legal ages" aside 16 year olds are still children idfc if it's legal there, that doesn't make it alright

Last edited:
The punishment definitely needs to be more severe in the United States. Regardless of gender, race, wealth, power, et cetera. The punishment's need to be non-partisan.

Last edited:
I'm sure you've all heard of Brock Turner the Stanford kid but if you haven't he got like 3 months for raping someone, which to me is absolutely preposterous. I am absolutely disgusted by sex offenders and personally think they deserve life in prison, but I know that isn't exactly plausible. 21 years is not nearly long enough, but at least it's 21 years - but 3 months is just ridiculous

In America, it's 30 years. I have a cousin in jail, I don't know if it was for that or not, but I remember my step-uncle saying: "For a sex offender it's 30 years."

But, I will agree that this is a nasty act. Though I do not have a lot of knowledge on it, I have enough basic knowledge to understand.

Oh God, so true. This might be TMI, but a drunk man attempted to rape me on my way home from work. He dragged me behind a car, and luckily he got spooked when I managed to turn around to see his face, and he ran away. I told my sister this, and the first thing she said to me was: "What were you wearing?" It pisses me off. People need to stop victim blaming.

Yes I believe that the sentence needs to be harsher, but it seems to vary case to case :(

****ing hell. I'm so sorry that happened to you. There really needs to be more respect for victims of sexual abuse and violence. It just isn't right.

No they need to be executed, or put in jail forever. Especially pedophile rapists.

For a rape case, that's very good. I've seen American sex offenders get as little as six months. If anything, things in America need to improve. I think 21 years is fine, as long as he serves all of it. Once he's out, he'll be like 70, sterile and nobody would want to touch him. He's on the sex offenders list, so he won't be allowed near children, playgrounds and it will be easily accessible to his neighbours and family so he will spend his life alone. Bail and shortening sentences are very rare to obtain here.

The jail time is not enough. He should be castrated too.

iirc there are medicines that can lower a person's sex drive so the risk of reoffending goes down. http://www.cochrane.org/CD007989/BE...exual-offenders-or-those-at-risk-of-offending
i dont think it is ok to force someone to be castrated especially not when the libido can be medically lowered. the legal system isnt made to punish and embarrass criminals as much as possible, it is about keeping them away from the public and rehabilitating them. you might feel personal hatred for certain types of criminals but the legal system shouldnt have personal grudges against ppl it should help ppl

iirc there are medicines that can lower a person's sex drive so the risk of reoffending goes down. http://www.cochrane.org/CD007989/BE...exual-offenders-or-those-at-risk-of-offending
i dont think it is ok to force someone to be castrated especially not when the libido can be medically lowered. the legal system isnt made to punish and embarrass criminals as much as possible, it is about keeping them away from the public and rehabilitating them. you might feel personal hatred for certain types of criminals but the legal system shouldnt have personal grudges against ppl it should help ppl

In the case the OP used as an example, by the time he gets out of prison he'll be like 75-ish, and I've never seen a horny 75 year old man. His sex drive will have died by then.

I think it's unfair to hold grudges against people who are going to jail. It just sounds like a childish angry mob. We may as well be stoning criminals, because everyone saying "he should be executed, murdered, skinned alive, ect" is extremely savage and you may as well be a brainless caveman. The justice system works the way it does for a reason, that's all there is to it.

Here, our legal system is fine. I don't know why the outrage on her being 16, because 14 is actually the 'semi-legal' age here. It's hard to explain to braindead people, but at 14 the law is that children are able to make their own choices(i.e sex). This law came into place when a 14 year old girl went to her doctor because she had sex (consenting) and was refused an abortion (which is even harder to explain to countries who have banned abortions altogether). Now, the law is that if you are 14-16 and you go to your GP for contraceptive or for an abortion, the authorities won't be called. But the 'legal' age for having sex is 16. I'm not justifying rape, but I am just clearing up the age thing.

I think his sentence was fine, especially if you take into account this will include a historical sex abuse charge with his other daughter.

In the case the OP used as an example, by the time he gets out of prison he'll be like 75-ish, and I've never seen a horny 75 year old man. His sex drive will have died by then.

You're kidding right old men are the raunchiest of them all

Also being mad at rapists and pedophiles and other people who ruin the lives of others is not "childish" please do not.

You're kidding right old men are the raunchiest of them all

Also being mad at rapists and pedophiles and other people who ruin the lives of others is not "childish" please do not.

Not all old men are 'raunchy'. Then again I'm not an old man.

What I'm saying is that the justice system will ruin his life. He will be out of the way so the public are safe. He will be on the sex offenders list, which will make his neighbours wary after he's out of jail following a quick background check. So it is not an injustice and shouldn't be painted as one. Point still stands.

I think it's unfair to hold grudges against people who are going to jail. It just sounds like a childish angry mob. We may as well be stoning criminals, because everyone saying "he should be executed, murdered, skinned alive, ect" is extremely savage and you may as well be a brainless caveman. The justice system works the way it does for a reason, that's all there is to it.

Here, our legal system is fine. I don't know why the outrage on her being 16, because 14 is actually the 'semi-legal' age here. It's hard to explain to braindead people, but at 14 the law is that children are able to make their own choices(i.e sex). This law came into place when a 14 year old girl went to her doctor because she had sex (consenting) and was refused an abortion (which is even harder to explain to countries who have banned abortions altogether). Now, the law is that if you are 14-16 and you go to your GP for contraceptive or for an abortion, the authorities won't be called. But the 'legal' age for having sex is 16. I'm not justifying rape, but I am just clearing up the age thing.

I think his sentence was fine, especially if you take into account this will include a historical sex abuse charge with his other daughter.

I don't think anyone is saying that there's anything wrong with a 16 year old consenting to sex, but when it comes to raping a 16 year old, it is still seen as raping a child and not an adult because a 16 year old is not fully mature still (in most cases). That's where the problem lies, not whatever the age of consent is, but the fact that a child is being violated by an adult. Now, I understand that actually skinning people and killing people is "savage" as you say. However, I'm sure you understand why people would feel this way, especially about child rapists, or parents who rape their own children. It might be easy to say, "Oh but they are people too, we must treat them with dignity." But when you know someone who has been raped, or you yourself are a victim, or that happened to your own child, I'm sure it will be hard to say, "Treat them fairly." I respect your opinion, but I think that this is a topic that isn't black and white. Yes, the right thing to do is to treat them fairly with dignity, but it isn't so easy for some people to feel that way when you see a child who has been traumatised and damaged because of rape, or even a fully grown person suffering because it happened to them. So I wouldn't say it's a "savage" thing to want them to die or suffer, but rather a very human thing. Not right, morally speaking, but a very natural reaction for people.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

wow, what a abhorrent, disgusting story. a man like that deserves the death penalty - no amount of jail time is enough

Not all old men are 'raunchy'. Then again I'm not an old man.

What I'm saying is that the justice system will ruin his life. He will be out of the way so the public are safe. He will be on the sex offenders list, which will make his neighbours wary after he's out of jail following a quick background check. So it is not an injustice and shouldn't be painted as one. Point still stands.

I didn't say that but "his sex drive would have died by then" isn't guaranteed either.

Whether the justice system ruins someone's life or not is irrelevant. People have every right and every reason to be mad at and hate people like this, as well as wish for worse to happen to them. Having emotions regardless of how strong they are is never a childish or stupid thing and you aren't more mature than someone for not being able to relate to them.

I don't think anyone is saying that there's anything wrong with a 16 year old consenting to sex, but when it comes to raping a 16 year old, it is still seen as raping a child and not an adult because a 16 year old is not fully mature still (in most cases). That's where the problem lies, not whatever the age of consent is, but the fact that a child is being violated by an adult. Now, I understand that actually skinning people and killing people is "savage" as you say. However, I'm sure you understand why people would feel this way, especially about child rapists, or parents who rape their own children. It might be easy to say, "Oh but they are people too, we must treat them with dignity." But when you know someone who has been raped, or you yourself are a victim, or that happened to your own child, I'm sure it will be hard to say, "Treat them fairly." I respect your opinion, but I think that this is a topic that isn't black and white. Yes, the right thing to do is to treat them fairly with dignity, but it isn't so easy for some people to feel that way when you see a child who has been traumatised and damaged because of rape, or even a fully grown person suffering because it happened to them. So I wouldn't say it's a "savage" thing to want them to die or suffer, but rather a very human thing. Not right, morally speaking, but a very natural reaction for people.

That's just my two cents, anyway.

Yes, I respect that people feel that way and I understand that myself. I should have worded myself better, but I do respect that other people have been hurt by rapists and I was in no way justifying rape in any way. Speaking from experience, I think there should be harsher punishments for rapists but I do believe that criminals should be treated fairly, after all they are going to jail for their crimes and they will be locked away from the public and they (the public) will be safe. But I should have clarified that people are allowed to express their anger on the matter, I understand myself that it's not always easy to forgive and forget and it does not make an offender's crime any less awful, so I apologise.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I didn't say that but "his sex drive would have died by then" isn't guaranteed either.

Whether the justice system ruins someone's life or not is irrelevant. People have every right and every reason to be mad at and hate people like this, as well as wish for worse to happen to them. Having emotions regardless of how strong they are is never a childish or stupid thing and you aren't more mature than someone for not being able to relate to them.

Yeah, I've already clarified and I can relate so please don't say that I think I'm more mature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back