Jury Duty?

Have you ever done/been called to Jury Duty?

• Total voters

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
Not sure if this is allowed here, but I was just curious as to how many people on here have done jury duty before. I was curious as to how many times you can get called up to jury duty, how many times you've been called for jury duty and how often? I'm not eligible myself, for reasons other than my age (how ominous). I also heard you are unable to do jury duty if you have any prejudices, is that true? I know it's highly illegal to turn down jury duty too, but I know that you can postpone it. How does that work?

Internet is slow but I'm making a poll and it should show up after this thread is up. :)

I was worried people would do this without realising or reading the OP, but: It is illegal to talk about your court cases, previous, present and future, outside of the court room. Thank you.

i got called up for jury duty once before about 4 years ago. I loved it, you learn a lot about law and how the courts work and you get to meet some new people. I was selected for the grand jury so I had to do it for 3 months. We met every Wednesday from 8am to 5pm sometimes 6pm. there is no limit on the amount of times you can be called up. Its selected at random But, if you do get chosen and complete it then you can not be called for it again for at least a year.

You can postpone jury duty and sometimes you can avoid it completely. We had a elderly man chosen to be in the grand jury and after he was picked he complained about not being able to pick up his granddaughter from school on the days we met and the judge told him to just go home and yes, they will not let you serve if you are prejudice and If you are involved with a case were you know the person in the trial/case then you will be excused from it as well.

It is illegal to talk about your court cases unless they are already settled. With me being in a grand jury I had more serious cases such as molestation, assaults, Robberies, etc.... so I would of gotten into a lot of trouble talking about the case itself Outside the jury room. But you can talk about the cases all you want after the trial is over. Hope that I was able to answer your questions but keep in mind that things may be different if on the normal jury.

seems like an interesting thing to participate in but i haven't been called up and never will, kind of annoyed about it(?)

Last edited:
no but if i ever vote and become eligible (i probably wont ever) and get called down ill just tell them im biased

I was called once but it was for a state I didn't live in anymore. I sent them a letter that I couldn't do it.

I don't really want to participate in jury duty while I'm working on my career, but I'll do it if I'm called to in state.

I was worried people would do this without realising or reading the OP, but: It is illegal to talk about your court cases, previous, present and future, outside of the court room. Thank you.

The laws on this may vary by country, but in the United States, it is legal for jurors to discuss cases after a verdict has been reached. Some jurors who serve on high-profile cases actually write books about it.

sweden doesnt have anything like that, which i think is good. it seems weird to have whoever in a jury i think people who know the law should do that stuff. also it seems really scary and annoying (like you HAVE to do it if youre called?) to do it but idk i'm sure a lot of people take pride in it and think it is good. i'm just glad i'll never have to think about doing it (unless i move to somewhere where i'd have to do it idk)

Last edited:
sweden doesnt have anything like that, which i think is good. it seems weird to have whoever in a jury i think people who know the law should do that stuff. also it seems really scary and annoying (like you HAVE to do it if youre called?) to do it but idk i'm sure a lot of people take pride in it and think it is good. i'm just glad i'll never have to think about doing it (unless i move to somewhere where i'd have to do it idk)

I think the rationale behind having a jury of "ordinary" people is they are usually not connected to the people who make the laws, which reduces the chance of making politically motivated verdicts. Civilian jurors may also be more likely to really consider the impact of sending someone to prison when making their verdict while professional jurors and judges may consider it more "routine" to send someone to prison. Yes, being forced into jury duty is inconvenient for people, but if it were a volunteer or full-time position, then it would inevitably become political.

I had to go to jury duty right after I turned 19, and I really didn't care for it. So glad that I was dismissed and able to go home.

I think I was 19 when I got my first letter for jury duty, but I postponed it to new year week of winter break because I was busy with school when I received the letter. In the end, I didn't even have to show up because there were no cases that week. I sort of chose that week on purpose. :lemon:

I was called for jury duty for the first and only time a few years back. It was a very serious case and TONS of people in town were called for this particular one. I mean, it was so jam packed in the courthouse it was insane. I have an anxiety disorder to begin with, so you could imagine how horrible this whole thing was for me. I didn't want to be part of deciding someone's fate even if they were a criminal. That pressure added with the fact we were packed like sardines was enough to make me want to throw up and run away screaming. Thankfully they called the next day and said they didn't need me. I was SO relieved. I still worry from time to time about getting called again, but I think if it wasn't such a huge court case I might be able to handle it better.

Jury duty is mandatory? I had no idea.

I'd go, but I think it would be more fun to decline, just to make somebody somewhere really angry.

The laws on this may vary by country, but in the United States, it is legal for jurors to discuss cases after a verdict has been reached. Some jurors who serve on high-profile cases actually write books about it.

In the UK I think it's illegal to talk about it, but then again I haven't been called up to jury duty before. And here it's mandatory to do it I believe, I was reading the letter my dad got sent and it's a ?1000 fine if you don't attend, unless you postpone it.

But it's interesting to read how other countries do it too. I wasn't sure on how it actually worked here, there or anywhere so I asked ^///^

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you know any of the people in the case, you are dismissed. If you have any biases you are dismissed. I don't think I'm legally eligible, even when I become an adult;; because I've been sectioned under the mental health act;;;;;; Here you pay the fine if you get called up but can't attend, and then get called back up in a few years' time or something. I think it's a good system, I'm glad that in America they got rid of the Jim Crow laws that stopped African Americans from doing anything, so now it's a fair system. If you know someone on the jury, you may swindle them out of legal trouble, which is why it's important.

Ironically, my mother just told me yesterday that I got a letter calling me to the jury for next month.

Not old enough, but I'd love to. I'm very interested in criminal cases, and this would be INCREDIBLE for me!

I think the rationale behind having a jury of "ordinary" people is they are usually not connected to the people who make the laws, which reduces the chance of making politically motivated verdicts. Civilian jurors may also be more likely to really consider the impact of sending someone to prison when making their verdict while professional jurors and judges may consider it more "routine" to send someone to prison. Yes, being forced into jury duty is inconvenient for people, but if it were a volunteer or full-time position, then it would inevitably become political.

yeah i get that but imo thats why law ppl should be, like, checked so they dont do bad stuff. i dont think taking random people who often have own thoughts, opinions, and feelings about stuff (even though you swear that u wont let that stuff affect ur judgement) and they can interfere. if it is your job to read the law and see how the crime broke it youre probably not as emotionally involved and can be more objective. law ppl learn to be objective right??? and thats why there are many different law ppl involved in a trial, so even if one might be a bit biased it is less likely to affect the sentence

like, i really just dont see how random people are more trustworthy than the law ppl. but idk i dont care that much either. im just glad thats not how it works where i live bc i would be Very Not Ok w/ being in a jury or a criminal being judged by those juries...

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the UK I think it's illegal to talk about it, but then again I haven't been called up to jury duty before. And here it's mandatory to do it I believe, I was reading the letter my dad got sent and it's a ?1000 fine if you don't attend, unless you postpone it.

But it's interesting to read how other countries do it too. I wasn't sure on how it actually worked here, there or anywhere so I asked ^///^

- - - Post Merge - - -

If you know any of the people in the case, you are dismissed. If you have any biases you are dismissed. I don't think I'm legally eligible, even when I become an adult;; because I've been sectioned under the mental health act;;;;;; Here you pay the fine if you get called up but can't attend, and then get called back up in a few years' time or something. I think it's a good system, I'm glad that in America they got rid of the Jim Crow laws that stopped African Americans from doing anything, so now it's a fair system. If you know someone on the jury, you may swindle them out of legal trouble, which is why it's important.

idk when i read about it online it seemed to be very vague what mental illnesses would disqualify you. http://www.journeytoanxietyfree.com/mental-illness-guide-jury-duty/
not written by a lawyer but Yh. according to that u just need to be "smart enough" (so no developmental disabilities that affect u lots i guess?). so illnesses that give u delusions etc. dont seem to make u not eligble, i think it is more on a case to case basis. im not an expert but thats what i got from searching online

edit: like, if youre in an episode where youre Mentally Ill x30000 u probably shouldnt/wont get to do it but if youre reasonably stable it is on a case by case basis

Last edited:
Back