• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New F-rating for Movies

I seriously thought that these ratings meant the movie was low-quality when I read the title. As in, if it was graded, it would receive a F.

I honestly don't see the problem if all the movies are actually going to be good feminism-wise but if those are literally the only criteria they should just rate it "W" for "women" or something.

All in all I don't really care. It ain't hurting anyone.

this sounds kind of sexist, no? which is ironic lmao.
I thought feminism was supposed to equalize the sexes.

Last edited:
This shouldn't exist. BBFC ratings are, legally, for age restrictions, not for whether 'some egotistical woman who hates men' directed it or not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

There's crazy feminists that hate men and want them to go extinct. There are still some good feminists who want everyone to be treated equally, which is what feminism is about. But this rating thing was made purely for the man-hating feminists.

Without men, the human race would go extinct, people...

Last edited:
Yeah, the problem is that with modern feminism, it doesn't seem about equality anymore but instead giving women power over men. It's awful.

??? no
these things and things like this are made to try to make women more equal to men . women are underrepresented in the film industry in many ways and this is a way to try to fix it i guess
-
i dont think it's a good rating idk i havent read anything about it so i cant say that much about it but... if you want to make the movie industry more feminist there are a lot of different things that should be done, not this.

tho i dont like how people in this thread are being upset about feminism..? this is a weird thing to do but it doesnt represent feminism as an ideologyor a movement and women arent tryibg to make women more privileged than men Pls. this is a weird thing to do but it's not a reason to become a meninistu guize

this is what makes me question feminism, a lot of people aren't focusing on real issues. they're just picking out really tiny things that are "sexist" like catcalling, this traffic light and the F rating

catcallig is really tiny? i mean, a lot of women feel objectified and are harassed and get called really not ok thiigns when theyre catcalled. it might not be thw biggest problem bt it is part of the peoblem

i agree that those things w/ the traffic lights is . Weird . a d unnecessary . and reinforces cissexist, gender stereotypical and old ideas. (THOUGH the concept of gender neutrality is also Not Great because it often defaults to masculinity which is kinda ): but it shouldnt default to femininity either and it's kinda hard to come up with a good way to represent gender neutrality in a good way. like, both the default stick figure and the Woman stick figure with a dress are "gender netral" bc clothes have no gender but we have simplified gender to these thigns. and the Male one is the default which follows a problematic pattern i guess??? like so i get where they are coming from with this but it isnt a feminist thing rly and their solution isnt great and i dunno aaaaaaaa)

but feminism isnt about those things and idk. i hate gender and all Discourse on tbt because it always ends up being rly bad but i hope you can understand what im trying to say and maybe think abt it iiii dunno

- - - Post Merge - - -

also this isnt an official move thing made by the ppl who choose if a move is r rated or pg or whatever it is by imdb and it kinda sounds like a tag or a small "hey women made this/hey women are in this" thing more than a rating

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...adds-f-rating-to-feminist-films-a7613181.html

also apparently the expression f rating has been used since 2014 but imdb were like Yo Lets Use This like yesterday or whatever.
so yeah no the movies you see in the cinema and the dvds u buy wont have an F rating on them bc they will just be on imdb and maybe used in discussion but it isnt Official
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-rating

so like idk but i think this thread is a bit misinformed??

catcallig is really tiny? i mean, a lot of women feel objectified and are harassed and get called really not ok thiigns when theyre catcalled. it might not be thw biggest problem bt it is part of the peoblem

it's kind of on the theme "i need feminism because i get compliments" i get that it makes people feel uncomfortable since i've been catcalled myself, but i think that people take it too personally. i'm not saying that catcalling is ok, but it's just not a big enough issue to get really worked up about in my opinion
hmmmm, maybe i'm just internally oppressed.

also this article seems to present some views u all seem to share https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/27/swedish-cinema-bechdel-test-works

it is true that you cant just put in a woman, a black person and a gay person and then the movie is Diverse and Representatve and Great. but when most movies follow a pattern where there are almost no lgbt characters, no poc, no women or no combinations of these.... then that feels really weird. and the characters that are these things are stereotypes or used to make the white cishet male lead a Better and More Heroic person,,, like, the pattern is the most problematic thing about things. that this is how it almost always is, thats the problem.
if all movies are about a white man and a white woman who fall in love and the only other women in the film arent characters but actually just objects used for the plot... then thats not great. i think female representation is on the rise and i personally think we need to focus on lgbtq people and poc and combinations of these groups because they are underrepresented but yhhh it isnt stupid at all to be upset about the movie industry because it is messed up, racist and lgbtqphobic and sexist !!!!! and thats not cool. and kt shouldnt be like that

- - - Post Merge - - -

it's kind of on the theme "i need feminism because i get compliments" i get that it makes people feel uncomfortable since i've been catcalled myself, but i think that people take it too personally. i'm not saying that catcalling is ok, but it's just not a big enough issue to get really worked up about in my opinion
hmmmm, maybe i'm just internally oppressed.

lol dont be passive aggressive
someone telling you "nice shirt :')" is a compliment, being verbally harassed isnt. i dont think it should happen and a lot of women say they experience it. and men who catcall need to know that they are the problem and that it isnt okay to yell sexual things at random strangers. it makes people uncomfortable and is harassment but it is still a widespread thing that happens snd people need to know that what theyre doing is messed up and not ok

how is this sexist
i assume u mean Sexust Against Men.... but plz explain

- - - Post Merge - - -

This shouldn't exist. BBFC ratings are, legally, for age restrictions, not for whether 'some egotistical woman who hates men' directed it or not.

- - - Post Merge - - -

There's crazy feminists that hate men and want them to go extinct. There are still some good feminists who want everyone to be treated equally, which is what feminism is about. But this rating thing was made purely for the man-hating feminists.

Without men, the human race would go extinct, people...

obviously since we're like half the population But radfems arent rly..,,, like, it feels weird to talk like all feminists are radfems when theyre extremists that feminists fighting for equality hate and stay away from.

tho humanity going extinct? sign me tf up

please don't start assuming things to try and make me look bad, i'm not being aggressive. i'm trying to reason with you, did that joke at the end hurt you or something? i disagree with you and that's fine but stop being petty about it plz

Back