• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Zelda Zelda: Breath of the Wild Discussion [USE SPOILER TAGS!]

forestyne

Finally Left.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
October Birthstone (Opal)
Flea
Enlighten me, since I'm not getting a Switch. Also when are they removing that background, I hope it's soon. How's Breath of The Wild?

It's been getting perfect scores, some random chap's finished the game. But from what I've heard, the soundtrack is limited, as are the menu options. So how is it? I'm interested, I cried when it was announced, I cried again when it was announced there was voice acting, I cried when I saw the first hour of the game. I was basically a mess for this game. It's the only Zelda gam I'm unable to play near the launch, unfortunately. But, I may buy it on the Wii U, if you can sell it to me well enough lol.

So please enlighten me, what are the pros and cons? Is the game as amazing as it looks? Is it worth the expenses? :confused:

- - - - - -

EDIT NOTE FROM JUSTIN:

I have merged the two ongoing Breath of the Wild threads together. While the original thread was for no spoilers, it looks as if everyone is doing a good job remembering to use spoiler tags so we can just have one thread. So please make sure to use spoiler tags in here if you think something you're posting that might not want to be seen by all. Additionally, please try to label your spoiler tags with some short description of what it's about so folks don't have to blindly click without knowing what they might be spoiling.

As an example, if you were posting about something at Hyrule Castle, it would be much more useful to make a tag like this:

There is a bad man here.

Rather than an ambiguous one like this:

There is a bad man here.

If you don't know how to make spoilers, here's how:

[spoiler=SPOILER TITLE HERE]SPOILER CONTENTS HERE[/spoiler]

It's actually like... reaaaally good. I haven't even played that far yet but the atmosphere of the game is insane. The controls and mechanics are awesome. It's challenging from the get go.

ugh same :( i dont feel like buying the switch so i might just get it for the wii u. a local store near me has them still!

I got to play it yesterday with my boyfriend, since he got the Switch yesterday. We both ended up really loving the game, and we're not even Zelda fans. LOL
It's breathtakingly beautiful, more so than the WiiU version. Incredible graphics, and the map is SO huge! There's so much to explore and find! The story is really interesting, and the voice acting is great. Although, I really didn't feel like Zelda's voice fit her that well, but that might just me I guess. But yeah, it's definitely worth getting!

it's. a.maz.ing. I was worried about the Wii U version being inferior but it looks almost as good the switch version and the fps isn't game breaking though admittedly it does slow down sometimes.

never thought I'd say this but the nearly 5 year wait was worth it :,)

I'm more interested in how the dungeons/temples/'puzzle elements' hold up more than anything, especially since I'm not really hearing anything about them. The temples are pretty much the bit I like about Zelda games, so it raises an eyebrow when I've heard pretty much nothing about them.

When it comes to the open world sandbox part, I've seen more than enough of that in the past few years for it to interest me...

I get the feeling from pre-release interviews and stuff that the temples/dungeons are comparable to the difference in puzzle elements with 'original Tomb Raider vs Tomb Raider reboot', yano, where the puzzle elements became quick to solve, simple to do and essentially forced to take a back seat to "shootin' doods"...The fact all I'm hearing about is the open world and not the dungeons doesn't make me hopeful.

I'm more interested in how the dungeons/temples/'puzzle elements' hold up more than anything, especially since I'm not really hearing anything about them. The temples are pretty much the bit I like about Zelda games, so it raises an eyebrow when I've heard pretty much nothing about them.

When it comes to the open world sandbox part, I've seen more than enough of that in the past few years for it to interest me...

I get the feeling from pre-release interviews and stuff that the temples/dungeons are comparable to the difference in puzzle elements with 'original Tomb Raider vs Tomb Raider reboot', yano, where the puzzle elements became quick to solve, simple to do and essentially forced to take a back seat to "shootin' doods"...The fact all I'm hearing about is the open world and not the dungeons doesn't make me hopeful.

The reason you're not hearing much about the dungeons is probably because they're kind of a spoiler in themselves in regard to the details. Won't get into it further in here of course through.

The shrines are definitely what you're describing. I like them a lot though.

I just preordered mine at Walmart. I get to pick it up in Wednesday and let me tell you, it's very hard to stay away from content about it and be patient.

The reason you're not hearing much about the dungeons is probably because they're kind of a spoiler in themselves in regard to the details. Won't get into it further in here of course through.

The shrines are definitely what you're describing. I like them a lot though.

I think they are fun and cute at times - definitely not the same challenge as a temple in OoT for example though. I do miss it a little bit but I'll excuse it for all the other AMAZING CONTENT!

This game *is* exactly as amazing as it looks. Which is saying a lot.

The OST is very minimalistic and atmospheric. I'd say like Skyward Sword, but there's actually a lot of silence in this game. This is saddening, Zelda used to be such a big game series for music. However, I suppose they figured a Hyrule Field theme for the MASSIVE expanses of this game would be too much.

It's wonderful. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface and yet I've explored for hours, nearly 20 at this point. This has totally eaten up my weekend so far and it's marvelous.

The best way I can describe it is this: the only limit to this game is your creativity. There are multiple ways to solve puzzles, approach battles and even traverse the land. You literally do whatever you want, mess around with the physics until you do something stupidly hilarious that either results in your death or miraculously working as intended. Battles can be challenging if you run in head first, so it requires some degree of strategy and stealth.

The shrines are honestly great. Unique puzzles that last maybe about 5-10 minutes depending on how quickly you figure it out, but there's SO MANY of them that they will keep you entertained often. NPCs are great, dialogue is funny but can be quite mature at times, so it's a good mix. The enemy AI can be pretty smart that it's surprising sometimes.

My only gripe with the game is that it drops frames significantly in some areas, as low as 20fps according to a video I saw but for some reason it feels lower than that at its worst. I'm playing on Wii U, and some forest areas lag pretty badly due to the sheer amount of shadows between the trees and grass, and the first village is pretty bad too. It bothered me so much yesterday that I considered just getting a Switch ASAP but after doing some research, I've realised that both the Switch (docked) and Wii U versions have the same framerate issues, albeit in different areas which is interesting. Some areas that lag on the Switch don't on the Wii U and vice versa. Nintendo already released a patch with optimisations along with the DLC features yesterday, but it hasn't really made a difference, at least from what I've experienced so far. Here's hoping they can figure out some sort of fix and patch it, though I think it is unlikely. Considering the scale of this game and how rarely you see a loading screen (literally when you load a save or a shrine, that's it), there's bound to be some slowdowns here and there. Then again I'm particularly picky about these things, it doesn't seem to be a huge issue for most.

It's not stopping me from enjoying it though, I'm having so much fun with this game, it's insane. What sets it apart from other open world titles currently is how open-ended it is in every aspect. There is no linearity when it comes to, well... everything. No hand-holding, no reminders of where to go/what to do, no obnoxious objectives or cutscenes, just you being thrown into the deep end to experiment and play with everything. It's been well worth the wait.

it's. a.maz.ing. I was worried about the Wii U version being inferior but it looks almost as good the switch version and the fps isn't game breaking though admittedly it does slow down sometimes.

never thought I'd say this but the nearly 5 year wait was worth it :,)

I can't believe it's been 5 years x.x I'm nearly an adult and I've been wasting away my childhood waiting for this blessed game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wait so no annoying companion? T_T

Just spent all day playing BOTW for the first 7-8 hours and it's freaking amazing! I spent the first like 2 hours of the game just exploring instead of doing the main quest. The little details in this game make it so realistic and super charming this is definitely the most visually pleasing Zelda games for sure.

It's HARD! I've lost count on how many times I've died already. Lovin' it though.

I love it so far, it's such a rewarding game. I love how doing more difficult stuff rewards you with better stuff; killing tougher enemies, for example, gives you items that create better food and elixirs and so on - really makes it all seem worth it. Sounds like an obvious point to make, but so many games I've played seem to have difficult enemies just for the sake of having them.

I can't believe how big the map is. I've been exploring for hours now and I've only saw a fraction of the world, and all the locations are so varied. The shrines are well designed and challenging, too. I'll definitely have to get used to my weapons breaking all the time though!

I'll definitely have to get used to my weapons breaking all the time though!

I thought for sure my biggest problem with the game would be weapon durability but I'm actually quite enjoying it.

It means I'm actually forced to use different weapons, rather than finding a really good one and then using it forever ignoring everything else. And preferably use it to find more good weapons for when it breaks..

My other suspected problem is inventory space/slots, which so far is actually annoying the hell out of me, but I know it's possible to upgrade so I'll have to see how much...

The game is so beautiful & I'm having so much fun. I spent hours just roaming around. If you have any amiibos they'll be useful in the game, especially if you have any LoZ ones, but I loaded up on so much food with my AC amiibos :p

The game is so beautiful & I'm having so much fun. I spent hours just roaming around. If you have any amiibos they'll be useful in the game, especially if you have any LoZ ones, but I loaded up on so much food with my AC amiibos :p

I have my (nearly entire) line-up of 15 AC amiibos sitting under the TV... those are coming in handy for cooking.

I have my (nearly entire) line-up of 15 AC amiibos sitting under the TV... those are coming in handy for cooking.

I have all the HHD amiibos too, so I spent like an hour gathering lol

Back