• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Rural? Urban? Why?

i'm a rural suburban kind of girl, my suburbs back home were close enough to cornfields that i could explore. i really like that sense of somewhat modern typical american neighborhood feel, but i also enjoy being that close to nature that i could go and enjoy it at my leisure (living near a creek really fed my interest in biology as a kid.) who doesn't love going down to the creek to catch froggies?

Ehh I'm interested in moving to an urban area soon. I've lived in the countryside since I was a baby and although I do enjoy the peacefulness of it all, there is absolutely NOTHING to do. I'm not even exaggerating. In my little village we have a primary school, a community centre (usually used for bingo and such), a little filling station and a pub. You'd need to drive for a while or pay a ridiculous amount of money for the bus if what you're looking for isn't listed above, and even at that there are only two or three buses passing through a day and they're usually late. I absolutely ADORE how quiet it usually is and the scenery can be beautiful sometimes, but I've spent the first 18 years of my life stuck somewhere with nothing to do and I'll be damned if I spend any more doing the same.

well I live in a town of 3000 and in the middle of no where, and I see sheep and horses across the road when I look out my window, so yeah, rural I guess. Why? many reasons, to much that I care to explain. theres one supermarket, very small. two gas stations and thats about it. I don't get to go to the cinemas because the nearest town is 40 mins away of which I go to every fortnight for shopping. we also don't have a gaming store so I have to travel for that. before we lived in a large city by the coast where I grew up but we left due to the drug epidemic etc.

I've lived in both urban and rural areas before. I like the convenience of living in the city (things to do, easy access to shops, fast internet etc.) but I just can't stand the traffic and congestion. I definitely need to live in a city that has a good public transportation system. The one thing I miss about living in a rural area is being able to ride my motorcycle down a street with no cars and the breeze in my face :(

Rural areas are more peaceful but Urban areas can be more conveinent. I agree.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm from the backwoods, so I am very comfortable with rural, however, because I have exotic critters, I need to live in more urban areas. Both have pros and cons and small rural towns have been fun to visit in the past, but it's more efficient in the long run for me to live somewhere urban. The gas it used to take my family to drive 40 minutes every other week to a Walmart was crazy, especially when stocking up for hurricane season. This goes without saying, but, internet in rural areas also isn't too amazing either.

Internet in rural areas are becoming more profound.

I spent most of my childhood in the suburbs and most of my adult life in an urban area. I spent some time in a rural area until just recently. I once again live in an* urban area.

I prefer rural. Property is cheaper and there's less traffic. Plus I've anyways found it's easier to find work. When I lived in a rural area I definitely felt like a big fish in a small pond due to my urban experience.

Close second is urban, but if I'm going urban I want the type of city where I can sell my car and take the subway or walk and bike everywhere. I don't really care for buses or taxis. If I'm going to sit in traffic I'd rather just have a car and go directly where I want when I want.

Suburbs are usually a little expensive. Plus there's still traffic to deal with and usually little to no public transit.

Last edited:
Rural but not too far away from shops. I hate cities cause they are so crowded, loud and dirty.

It is substantiated to say that cities are crowded, loud and dirty. I agree that cities are loud and crowded. Dirty depends on the part of the city. New York City is mostly clean from what I aware of.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Urban. Fewer racists.

Read the note please. I would like it if politics aren't included in this thread.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I live in a rural area and most of the people are very nice here. I'm more comfortable living in rural areas as well.

Rural areas do have a more welcoming feeling from my experience.

I'm torn, I live in a rural area now and I just love the friendliness of locals, especially the old people who've been here forever. Also the tiny consignment shops and small restaurants and bakeries are very nice.
But I absolutely LOVE big cities. I lived in one up until I was 12 so it was nice to have everything you need right nearby.
One thing I DON'T miss about the city though is the large class sizes and the traffic. People in Urban areas tend to be worse drivers //no offense

Urban for sure! I lived in greater London most of my life so I'm used to living in a big town, and being so close to such a busy city. Everything is so convenient and there is always something to do. As I've gotten older I think I've realised if I'm not living somewhere with something always going on I would get SO bored. I can just get onto a train or a bus and get pretty much anywhere I need to be (although, public transport in London can be expensive...). It's more of an ideal living situation for young people. However, I moved out into a much smaller town in recent years and I spent a lot of my time between a bigger town (where my father still lived) and then a somewhat quieter area that was practically next door to the countryside. I like it, it's more peaceful, but there's just really not much for me to do, and I constantly had to rely on getting friends to come pick me up and drive me somewhere if we wanted to go out (really should have learned how to drive). :')

Urban. Live in the core of a major city and much prefer it simply because there's always something going on. If I wanted to get away from it all I'd head up into the mountains and camp. I do long distance bicycle touring and as a result spend a lot of time inching across the countryside and can't really see myself enjoy living out there. It's nice enough to visit and see but wears on you after awhile when you realize just how generic and repetitive 'Small Town America' really is. Cities are where it's at.

I've lived in an urban area all my life, and I've been totally fine with it...Stores are a few blocks down, it's convenient, there's good food everywhere...If I want to go somewhere rural I go to my grandma's house for a bit, I like being in that rural area. But I'm probably going to stay somewhere at least somewhat Urban...Even when I move to Alaska whenever that is, I'd prefer to live in somewhere like Fairbanks or Anchorage where there's urban qualities to it.

Urban no question, I like having access to everything I want and need, and it's not like I'm ahyge fan of nature.

I live in an urban area now but we're close to the edge of the city, so rural areas are quite close. For me, it depends. If I wanted to live quietly then I guess rural, otherwise urban.

I live in an urban area now but we're close to the edge of the city, so rural areas are quite close. For me, it depends. If I wanted to live quietly then I guess rural, otherwise urban.

Urban areas are busy, which can be annoying and a discomfort for people.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Urban, unless we're talking somewhere in the woods.

Ah. The woods are interesting! :blush:

- - - Post Merge - - -

Urban no question, I like having access to everything I want and need, and it's not like I'm ahyge fan of nature.

If you're a gamer, living in an urban area or close to one is essential! LOL! :blush:

- - - Post Merge - - -

i'm a rural suburban kind of girl, my suburbs back home were close enough to cornfields that i could explore. i really like that sense of somewhat modern typical american neighborhood feel, but i also enjoy being that close to nature that i could go and enjoy it at my leisure (living near a creek really fed my interest in biology as a kid.) who doesn't love going down to the creek to catch froggies?

I remember when my family moved down to Texas and we stopped at someone's house. They had a stream in which my sister and I caught tadpoles! Later we released them. That's all I remember since it was so long ago. I was also at a young age.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I remember when my family moved down to Texas and we stopped at someone's house. They had a stream in which my sister and I caught tadpoles! Later we released them. That's all I remember since it was so long ago. I was also at a young age.

- - - Post Merge - - -

well I live in a town of 3000 and in the middle of no where, and I see sheep and horses across the road when I look out my window, so yeah, rural I guess. Why? many reasons, to much that I care to explain. theres one supermarket, very small. two gas stations and thats about it. I don't get to go to the cinemas because the nearest town is 40 mins away of which I go to every fortnight for shopping. we also don't have a gaming store so I have to travel for that. before we lived in a large city by the coast where I grew up but we left due to the drug epidemic etc.

I can totally understanding your family deciding to leave because of a drug epidemic. Honestly, drugs are terrible.

I can technically bump this thread but I'm not going to bump it.

Urban. I couldn't stand not being close to anything or anyone else. As antisocial as I am it's comforting having hundreds of people around me.

urban, or rural but still relatively close to a city. i don't like the whole small town - everyone knows everyone kind of deal even though i've lived in small towns pretty much all my life

urban, due to the fact i grew up in new york city

sometimes rural, because i need a break and need to enjoy nature

Back