• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Have you ever had a teacher you knew passed away?

nintendofan85

Good grief.
Bells
Switch
7144-2399-2801
Green Candy
Red Candy
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Ancient Candle
Pumpkin Cupcake
Voodoo Doll
As many of you know, I'm a junior in high school.
This now happened nearly three months ago (it was on December 21), but, one of my teachers that I had when I was in 4th grade in 2009-2010 passed away. She had a heart attack and was only 52 years old. She was still teaching at the elementary school I went to (she had been teaching since 1997 and transferred to the current building when it opened in 2004) at the time she passed away, and when her funeral was held, she had students that she had during this school year attend.
I discovered this about three and a half weeks ago as one of my friends' moms was another teacher at my elementary school (I actually had her as one of my teachers during my 1st and 2nd grade years from 2006 to 2008) and the two were friends. In fact, this friend of mine had her parents go through a divorce in 2009 and this teacher that passed away always tried to comfort her through it throughout the 2009-2010 school year.
Anyways, I realize I posted this late, but have any of you known about a teacher you had in the past pass away?

Yes, one of mine did not long after she retired... We (my class) were told about it on April 1st. A very unfortunate day to have to tell something serious. I might cry if I think too hard about it...

Yes, one of mine did not long after she retired... We (my class) were told about it on April 1st. A very unfortunate day to have to tell something serious. I might cry if I think too hard about it...

I'm sorry to hear that.:( Yeah, hearing about this from my friend last month seemed so strange because really 2009-2010 wasn't that long ago.

we had a substitute on the first day in 4th grade and we had her for the rest of the year. apparently the original teacher had died during the school year, so the sub became our permanent teacher.

Yeah, a health teacher I had in high school died of complications during childbirth a few years after I had her class. She was literally the sweetest, kindest person. It makes me sick just thinking about it, even now. :(

Yes, my 5th grade teacher died in 2011. About 6 years after I had her as a teacher. I went to her funeral

Last edited:
When I was younger, I had a cousin work in school as a Teacher Aide.
Unfortunately, she passed away in 2010. :(

I'm 24 now, I'm sure my super old kindergarten/1st grader teachers are now dead.

Also my elementary principal committed suicide after getting caught money laundering millions of dollers from the school district. Shame, he was a nice man.

Not a teacher but a classmate of mine died in 8th grade because of a brain condition and it ****ed me up

Yes, my Latin teacher died back when I was in secondary school. :( It was really sad, he had lung cancer and he was married to the German teacher. On a happier note... Turns out that my math teacher married my geography teacher! They are a lesbian couple, it's the cutest thing. <3

Last edited:
i learnt that my history teacher from over 15 years ago passed away suddenly over christmas

none of my teachers have died tho there were one person working at my school who died like two weeks after i started. and on my last school a teacher died too but he taught grade 7-9 and i was in like 1st ir 2nd grade so i had no idea who it was

Yes, a few, but they all passed after I had already graduated from said schools.

My teacher I had in Year 1 passed away a few years back from natural causes I believe. I didn't like her but I was really young and my mom got along with her just fine.

I'm sure others have died since I left school, but during school:

My year 11 English teacher died in a car accident. She was a nice lady, but I do believe she hadn't long since given birth either. Don't think the kid was actually with her, but it still made it a bit more sad.

When I started high school, I had a science teacher like once. He died on the first day but we only actually got told about 2 months later that he was dead, for whatever reason it took that long to tell us. I mean, I'm not totally heartless, but I found it a bit hard to care that a guy I had seen once for about an hour 2 months earlier was dead...He seemed like he would have been a fun teacher though.

Another teacher died, but I never had them and don't actually remember who they were. They were just loosely related to a friend so I heard about it.

Whilst not a teacher, in primary school (or whatever the American equivalent is) there was a girl in my class who had cancer. We would have been about 7/8 years old at the time? All I really remember is that she lost her hair and ended up having to use a wheelchair, obviously from the treatment.
They put up a memorial thing on the grassy bit next to the school building. About a 2 years ago I noticed they replaced it with a trash can...I mean, yea, it was like almost 15 years ago and probably nobody in the school now knew her (I would be surprised if any of those teachers are still alive...They were living on borrowed time back then, let alone now), but c'mon, if you're gonna get rid of a memorial for a dead kid, don't replace it with a trash can...

Last edited:
A teacher I knew in primary school died in a road accident, completely not her fault, a few days before she was meant to retire.

During my school time I was aware of 2 teachers dying.

My Gym teacher from elementary school passed away from breast cancer a couple years ago. It really hit me hard, I was so sad that my younger siblings never had the pleasure of being taught by such a wonderful woman.

Last edited:
As an adult, I found out that a teacher I had for gym in elementary school had passed away. She died of breast cancer, I believe. I was pretty shocked. She left behind two young children, so that made it seem even more sad. :(

Back