• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Music You Didn't Appreciate in the Past, but Appreciate Now?

DarkDesertFox

Your Typical Trickster
Bells
Blue Junimo Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
In the past, I was really into rock/hard rock and it was pretty much one of the only genres I listened to. Nowadays I've found a greater appreciation for classical and pop music. I find myself listening to more of that now, but still enjoy rock/hard music. Video game and anime music has stuck with me this whole time. What music genres do you enjoy now, that you didn't in the past?

i didnt like any pop music and i used to not be into indie but npw i like some pop and indie, especially "alternative" pop (lol)

Heavy metal. My best friend is a metal head, so I was kinda forced into it. Love it quite a lot now, though.

Country and western. I still don't like modern country on the radio, but classic country has really grown on me thanks to playing Fallout New Vegas. Especially this one.

Actually, thanks to Fallout I also have a better appreciation for 50's music too like Dean Martin.

Country and western. I still don't like modern country on the radio, but classic country has really grown on me thanks to playing Fallout New Vegas. Especially this one.

Actually, thanks to Fallout I also have a better appreciation for 50's music too like Dean Martin.

Fallout and Bioshock got me to appreciate older music as well. That's why I love those mods that added additional music for Fallout 4 to match the theme of the game.

I've really gotten into Panic at the Disco lately. I didn't like them back in grade 7 when they were "hip" but I love them now.

Back in my teens, I went through a snob phase where I only liked classical music, 60s/70s/80s pop, and modern pop/rock I had grown up with. I especially had it out for punk. I remember being such a Green Day hater. lol. (Save your argument that Green Day isn't true punk, because it's irrelevant to my post, as the reason I disliked Green Day was the exact same reasoning I would apply to all kinds of punk). It was all just "noise" to me. It was loud, and boring.

I think I literally heard "American Idiot" once or twice and decided it was "boring". Yeah. LOL. You all should be glad I grew up and learned to judge music after hearing it enough times.

In my early 20s, I was introduced to this band called Streetlight Manifesto. Some background info is needed. I love the trumpet/trombone/saxophone combo in pop/rock music. Chicago (their 60s/70s output, not later) had become my favorite band at the time. When an acquaintance introduced Streetlight Manifesto to me, I was very weirded out by it. It was loud, very clearly punk, it had some Ska/Reggae influence which really wasn't my style, but... It also had some very awesome, well-written trumpet/trombone/saxophone writing and playing. I did not know what to think about it, but I kept on listening because I was interested in that aspect of it.

After that, I became open to Punk music. I still don't listen to a whole lot, but I no longer have a negative opinion of the genre.

The people who knew me back when I was a teenager would just completely lose their minds at the thought of the fact that Streetlight Manifesto, a loud punk band was the first band I ever went to go see live, instead of some soft rock group like the Eagles, Bread, or America.

Last edited:
When I first heard Bjork I just wasn't ready for her creativity, as I brushed it off as weird.

I love Bjork now.

Same for CocoRosie, hated them at first, appreciate and enjoy them so much now.

always enjoyed classic rock, but have recently gained appreciation for metal music thru most of my friends

Kpop, I never could get into it. But at the time I was trying to get into it (which was when I was like 12/13 years old, way before than they ever did!), according to my friends, it was a "bad" era, LOL. But now I really like it!

Last edited:
I'm so glad my pretentious "all pop music sucks and everything that's played on the radio is bad" phase ended ages ago because some of my favourite songs these days are chart toppers. What 13 year old me had against Britney Spears, I'll never know!

I'm so glad my pretentious "all pop music sucks and everything that's played on the radio is bad" phase ended ages ago because some of my favourite songs these days are chart toppers. What 13 year old me had against Britney Spears, I'll never know!

I still hate most pop music to this day but it isn't right to dismiss all. Some are actually good!

My dad always used to play Peter Gabriel when I was growing up. (My mum is convinced that my dad agreed to call me Peter because he idolises him so much). At the time being young, all I heard was loud annoying music, but as I've grown up I get how much of a genius that he is. His live performances are some of the best I've ever seen and now every time my dad plays his concert DVD I tend to watch it with him.

Nirvana and Twenty One Pilots. I hated it when I was younger, especially during my emo phase because I wanted to seem "original" and "edgy" and slightly less mainstream than all the other emo kids (for some reason I was cooler when I was emo than I am now T_T rip). Once I realised every Of Mice and Men fan was a ****ing d***head, I stopped listening to emo music. I was lost for a bit, then I discovered indie music.

I still listen to Pierce the Veil (I know every single song off by heart except from the new album, trY ME) every now and again, but I stick with acoustic music. I appreciate what a musical legend Kurt Cobain was now.

I used to make fun of Michael Jackson when I was much younger, since it was cool to hate on him then, and peer pressure got to me. I only knew a few of his songs, and they weren't my style anyway. But my last year of high school, I got addicted to his music because I heard Don't Stop Till You Get Enough and LOVED IT. Listened to the rest of his songs, and I immediately regretting making fun of him. He was brilliant and amazing, and I'm happy that I finally came around to appreciating his music <3

Haha I can relate to this so well (minus the Britney Spears part). I basically hated anything with lyrics, and if it was played on the radio, then it was "trash". I'm much more open to music now but I still can't stand a lot of mainstream stuff. Occasionally I'll find a gem that I wouldn't have considered years ago, but there are still genres that I can't tolerate.

Oldies. Soul & Motown.

also bands/artists like The Clash, George Michael, Queen, MJ, Chaka Khaaaaan

I'm not super old so my music taste is forever changing, but honestly I like bits of everything. I mean as a 13 yr old I used to love Enya, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Somerville Busted and Avril Lavigne and Eminem.

I grew up listening to classic rock (Led Zeppelin) and other bands like Green Day and Linkin Park and I didn't enjoy them back then but recently I've been enjoying more and more of those types of bands

Back