Opinions on Christianity?

Your position on Christianity?

• Total voters
I don't think it's fair to blame an entire religion for its bad seeds.
I grew up in a religious village that practises christanity. Each week we would read the bible in our religion class (which is a common thing in europe, replaced with philosophy for atheists and other religions [and christians who want to prefer it]).
All we were taught in those classes was forgiveness and loving each other, like each class we would read a story where there was a group who would judge someone (like a prostitute or a jew) and then Jesus would stood up for them and say that talking down on people is never okay. Or something like that, my indepth bible studies are like over a decade ago. In high school we learned about all religions and how we can live alongsides those who do not share ours.
I mean, it didn't get to bullies of course, but they will use whatever alternative fact for their own agenda, and christians are definitely the biggest bullies, the bible doesn't encourage hostility or hatred towards others.
A coworker of mine is a strong and passionate christian who was raised by it at home 24/7 and she's the most compassionate and thoughtful person I know. Because she actually read the bible and practises it. Like, I don't know much about religion myself, but I think she told me that the new testament condemns the old testament yet old people always think the old testament is 100% accurate?
And despite the bullies using christanity as their weapon, I do wish that everybody could have enough common sense that a book written like 1900 years ago does not reflect our modern times and that we have to grow and learn as a society.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Like, religion is meant to spread love and peace, people abusing it doesn't change its core message.

So you're saying that we aren't allowed to say that we appreciate Christianity because there are others out there who are getting tortured by other Religions, and that's Christianity's fault?

But Christianity is doing the same thing. Torturing people because of what some random bloke wrote on a piece of paper thousands of years ago, those problems are relevant now so you can't say 'heck, it doesn't matter it's just old' because you can't hide behind that. People are still being killed for being gay, but apparently Christianity is all about love and acceptance and makes everyone's lives better. It's made people's lives hell. All religions included.

Bowie is probably the smartest person on this forum tbh, they never even stated it was Christianity's fault. Nowhere. All that was said was that 'religion overall' shouldn't exist. So I'm not even sure where you got that from.

Religion made gay rights an issue. Back then, people may have not cared if someone was attracted to someone of the same sex, but then these books came along that said being gay is wrong and evil and then people started discriminating against gay, lesbian, and bisexual people in large numbers as religion spread.

Just because there were people who started discriminating, doesn't mean that everyone who is Christian is against homosexuals.

I don't think it's fair to blame an entire religion for its bad seeds.
I grew up in a religious village that practises christanity. Each week we would read the bible in our religion class (which is a common thing in europe, replaced with philosophy for atheists and other religions [and christians who want to prefer it]).
All we were taught in those classes was forgiveness and loving each other, like each class we would read a story where there was a group who would judge someone (like a prostitute or a jew) and then Jesus would stood up for them and say that talking down on people is never okay. Or something like that, my indepth bible studies are like over a decade ago. In high school we learned about all religions and how we can live alongsides those who do not share ours.
I mean, it didn't get to bullies of course, but they will use whatever alternative fact for their own agenda, and christians are definitely the biggest bullies, the bible doesn't encourage hostility or hatred towards others.
A coworker of mine is a strong and passionate christian who was raised by it at home 24/7 and she's the most compassionate and thoughtful person I know. Because she actually read the bible and practises it. Like, I don't know much about religion myself, but I think she told me that the new testament condemns the old testament yet old people always think the old testament is 100% accurate?
And despite the bullies using christanity as their weapon, I do wish that everybody could have enough common sense that a book written like 1900 years ago does not reflect our modern times and that we have to grow and learn as a society.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Like, religion is meant to spread love and peace, people abusing it doesn't change its core message.

Unfortunately a bad apple can ruin the basket.

It's a great thing.

People need to realize the fact that the Bible was written hundred of years ago, and that most of "today's problems" weren't really a thing back then. So if you claim that the Bible is "against homosexuals" than realize that it wasn't even a topic when the Bible was written!

That wouldn't be a problem if religion moved to update itself with the times. But it largely doesn't, which means that people of faith can continue to use religion as a catalyst for their hatred. If you try to live your life by a text that was compiled thousands of years ago, you're bound to come across as outdated and offensive. Christianity needs to find a better balance between tradition and tolerance, and while some followers have, a great deal haven't and never will. That's what giving Christianity such a bad name.

But Christianity is doing the same thing. Torturing people because of what some random bloke wrote on a piece of paper thousands of years ago, those problems are relevant now so you can't say 'heck, it doesn't matter it's just old' because you can't hide behind that. People are still being killed for being gay, but apparently Christianity is all about love and acceptance and makes everyone's lives better. It's made people's lives hell. All religions included.

Bowie is probably the smartest person on this forum tbh, they never even stated it was Christianity's fault. Nowhere. All that was said was that 'religion overall' shouldn't exist. So I'm not even sure where you got that from.

The problems are relevant now because there are idiots who are making it a problem. That accounts for the idiots who are discriminating, and the homosexuals who are whining about an old book. Yes, I said old book again. Deal with it.

Just because there were people who started discriminating, doesn't mean that everyone who is Christian is against homosexuals.

It seems that way, though. So why follow and preach the bible if that's true? ?\_(ツ)_/? Go do what you want, but don't shove faux 'love and peace wowie' down people's throats.

I can't wait for the rapture so I don't have to live in this society anymore.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The problems are relevant now because there are idiots who are making it a problem. That accounts for the idiots who are discriminating, and the homosexuals who are whining about an old book. Yes, I said old book again. Deal with it.

Don't blame victims of homophobia for the old book's mess.

That wouldn't be a problem if religion moved to update itself with the times. But it largely doesn't, which means that people of faith can continue to use religion as a catalyst for their hatred. If you try to live your life by a text that was compiled thousands of years ago, you're bound to come across as outdated and offensive. Christianity needs to find a better balance between tradition and tolerance, and while some followers have, a great deal haven't and never will. That's what giving Christianity such a bad name.

I don't disagree with the fact that the Bible has some parts to it that might come as offensive to some, but it doesn't give people a reason to hate the entire Religion.

I don't disagree with the fact that the Bible has some parts to it that might come as offensive to some, but it doesn't give people a reason to hate the entire Religion.

It does, actually. There are plenty of people who have spent their whole lives in fear of their Christian families and communities due to homophobic attitudes. There are people who have even been murdered because of it. Gives anybody enough reason to want to stay as far away as possible from Christianity.

It does, for a lot of reasons. Gay youth get kicked out of their homes and abused because their parents believe that 'gay is sin'. Matthew Shepherd was tortured and murdered for his sexual orientation. A vast majority of hate crimes target the LGBT community and Christians hide behind the Bible because of it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

ready4theworld2end now lol

It does, actually. There are plenty of people who have spent their whole lives in fear of their Christian families and communities due to homophobic attitudes. There are people who have even been murdered because of it. Gives anybody enough reason to want to stay as far away as possible from Christianity.

Who is being murdered? And why is it Christianity's fault. I don't think I have ever heard a story of a Christian murdering a homosexual. If there is, then feed me some links.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It does, for a lot of reasons. Gay youth get kicked out of their homes and abused because their parents believe that 'gay is sin'. Matthew Shepherd was tortured and murdered for his sexual orientation. A vast majority of hate crimes target the LGBT community and Christians hide behind the Bible because of it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

ready4theworld2end now lol

The Christians who are doing that are bad. The Christians who are not are good. Some people hate all Christians. That is a problem.

The Koran says:

"Slay them wherever you find them...Idolatry is worse than carnage...Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme." (Surah 2:190-)
"Forbidden to you are...married women, except those you own as slaves." (Surah 4:20-, 24-)

Do you hate Muslims for parts of their holy book having despicable teachings?

If you answered "no", then why do you hate Christianity for that beautiful religion having some despicable teachings in their holy book?

The Christians who are doing that are bad. The Christians who are not are good. Some people hate all Christians. That is a problem.

Christians hating LGBT people is a much worse problem in scale and magnitude than any hate against Christians for that reason. Unfortunately, it's not just a few bad apples in the basket but more like just a few good apples in the basket when it comes to Christians actually showing respect for other people's humanity.

The Koran says:

If you answered "no", then why do you hate Christianity for that beautiful religion having some despicable teachings in their holy book?

I like how you always change your signature to the theme whatever thread you're currently bickering on lol

The Koran says:

All Abrahamic religions are guilty of stuff like this, though I don't hate any religion and hold them all to the same standard of criticism

I agree, which is why I don't hate Christianity as a whole but I do have a problem with a good deal Christian followers. Fanaticism is unbelievably dangerous, and Christian fanaticism isn't exempt from that. There aren't enough Christians who are willing to address and fix the huge issues that have been plaguing their faith for hundreds of years. That being said, is it any wonder why so many people would come to hate the religion itself? Hand-waving this by saying that people who are hurt by Christian-based bigotry are just "whining" is...not the kindest thing to say. Plenty of people (women, LGBT, racial minorities, people of other faith systems) have suffered greatly because of fanatical Christians. If Christians really care about the betterment of human-kind and society at large, then these issues simply must addressed.

The Koran says:

Yes, all religion brings more bad than good.

All Abrahamic religions are guilty of stuff like this, though I don't hate any religion and hold them all to the same standard of criticism

All religions do have despicable things about them and those who follow through on those negative things are often rightfully called extremists.

Christians hating LGBT people is a much worse problem in scale and magnitude than any hate against Christians for that reason. Unfortunately, it's not just a few bad apples in the basket but more like just a few good apples in the basket when it comes to Christians actually showing respect for other people's humanity.

The good apples are Christians. The bad apples are not in my opinion.

Back