• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

First video game console you bought with your own money?

i bought a ps3 and i felt so accomplished bc all my other consoles have been gifts
unfortunately being an adult means having to buy most of your own expensive wants/needs and its somehow less fun getting a new game for 60 bucks when you know the money is being taken out of your account
take me back to childhood when my parents also loved video games and would buy new things to try them with me

My bro and I split our lunch money to buy the N64 and PS1. I've always shared consoles so the first one I bought for myself was my 3ds :'D

The first system I bought with my own money was a ps2.

I had an Atari 2600 and a Commodore 64 computer when I was a kid, but they were given to me.

The first system I bought before leaving for college was my WiiU! I really wanted to play splatoon, but was traveling too much for a steady job, so I did art commissions until I bought it. I am still proud of myself! haha

It was either a DSI in 2009 or an original Game Boy in 2005... I think it might've been the Game Boy honestly, but I'm not too sure.

i bought the Ps3 with my own money. I missed having a console.

I used to always share consoles with my brother and it was so nice having one of my own!

Mine was my 3DS XL. I wasn't gonna buy the 3DS at first but New Leaf came out so I had to!

The Wii, if I remember correctly. Everything onwards I've bought with my own money, my family has never been super well-off to afford consoles as gifts lol. I do remember I did get my Gamecube for Christmas though, but that was only because it was on sale at the time. I still remember the TV advertisement showing the price cut all those years ago, I was a very excited kid.

The first console I bought with my own money was the SNES, which was new at the time. Boy, that was a long time ago now. ^o^;>

Its going to be a Nintendo Switch soon. Because nobody is going to buy it for me.

My PSVITA followed by two 3DS XL's ^-^ (The second one being my special edition monster Hunter 4u one!!!)

A PS4, well actually, my fiance and I split the payment. So I paid like maybe $175 and he paid the rest. Worker discounts ftw :D

My 3DS XL that I bought "pre-owned" last year. But the first system I (we-my husband and two daughters) owned was the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) that my dad bought my daughters in about 1989. (Now who is showing age?)

Last edited:
My NN 3DS XL that I bought last year... My 3DS XL was a gift from my brother (even though my mother paid for it) and the Wii, Gamecube, PS2, and N64 were all paid for by my mother. I don't have any of the current gen consoles, like the Wii U, Switch, Xbox One, or PS4.

I think it must have been a used DSLite, but I got a new Wii U when Splatoon came out.

my original silver nintendo ds (which was also my first console ever)
goooooooooddd tiiiiiiiimmmeeeesssss

My 3ds! The last system I had before that was my gamecube that my dad got me when I was around 9 or 10.

I was around 8 or 9, got a job delivering newspaper, got $90 first round and bought myself a secondhand ds lite, first console officially bought with my own earned money, quit the job tho bcuz holy **** $90 for over 100 newspapers?? that doesn't even pay for fuel my mum had to use to drive me around!!

I haven't yet, but I've been actively planning this year and I believe I'll have enough to get a Switch by the ending of summer break! I have around $310(I think?) so I just need to save up a bit more. I feel kinda proud since I was able to handle my money and not spend too much of it, especially since I don't have a consistent way to make money yet (a job) since I'm a minor. This is just a mixture of some allowance money, birthday money and whatever else I was allowed to keep!

Back