Is having Villager's houses next to each other a good layout?

nSound

♥Mush♥
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Tasty Cake
Winter Mittens
Jingle Christmas Doll
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
I've been redesigning my town and I put the villager's houses next to each other, like a neighborhood, is that a good idea and does it look good? Also, does it look good if I put my house in that "neighborhood", I'm doing this to conserve space for my park, sightseeing locations, and other stuff. Anyway thanks! :lemon:

Last edited:
Personally I like to see them scattered around town or in pairs. Some peoplle can pull off neighbourhoods really well but even then I don't like them perfectly aligned. Although my criteria for villager placement is that they have enough space around them for personal landscaping (bushes, flowers, trees etc). Id give all my villagers a front lawn if i could

I've been redesigning my town and I put the villager's houses next to each other, like a neighborhood, is that a good idea and does it look good? Also, does it look good if I put my house in that "neighborhood", I'm doing this to conserve space for my park, sightseeing locations, and other stuff. Anyway thanks! :lemon:

Hellos,

I'd say it's a good idea, as you mentioned it saves a lot of space. For me I like to keep my mayors town far away from anything else but if you have a second character then put them in with the villagers.

Also I don't really like when the animals are in one place, i like them close together though but more in like little groupings.

My town currently has two clusters of villagers with a few far off. I think it's nice to have some here and there.

Sorry my wording is terrible as my brain is ready to sleep and my sentences are messy.

Thanks, nya ^-^

Personal preference. For me, it depends on the town layout. The map in my first town has this U-shaped river that separates the north and south area almost evenly so I had my villager houses spread out quite a bit so I can see them walking by everywhere. The map in my second town is uneven so I made this little area on the east like a neighborhood and tried aligning the houses both horizontally and vertically, but I also did that to have more space for pwps. I always see my villagers converge outside the area near the fountain and benches so I'm glad that they don't look isolated or something.

Personally I like to see them scattered around town or in pairs. Some peoplle can pull off neighbourhoods really well but even then I don't like them perfectly aligned. Although my criteria for villager placement is that they have enough space around them for personal landscaping (bushes, flowers, trees etc). Id give all my villagers a front lawn if i could

Ok, thanks for the advice! Really helpful!

It's all personal preference, I like having mine together so that I can easier get to all their houses. Also in one of my towns it's a Trick or Treat walk so their houses are in kind of a jagged line so it's easy to walk from one to the other but there's still "motion" to it if that makes sense? I still think having them scattered can look nice, or in pairs too can be cute, but I personally prefer the neighborhood.

tbh people that say its easier to find their houses i disagree LOL a lot of their houses look exactly alike so when theyre all aligned like that i cannot tell whos is whos without looking at the sign. its easier for me at least to just memorize whos house is whos by scattering them around and using the map. my town is made so some villager houses are next to eachother but then the rest are scattered along the paths. i think it looks nice when people plant trees and flowers around houses it looks really nice :D i need to try doing that. if you're thinking of placing your house in that neighborhood tho, i dont think you should. i tested it out and aligned everyones houses all together with mine right in the middle and it does not look good at all just confusing and long. plus when you have space around your house you can make a small yard for projects and flowers. ive seen people put the flower bed in front of their house and that looks sooo cool. im gonna put a hammock in my yard to give it a backyardy feel. sighhh if only we could place furniture outside i could make a BBQ...

I'm going to have to disagree with a lot of you. I have a row of houses, with the exception of Bob's and Punchy's houses who are right in front of my house. I find it very easy to find my villagers as they aren't wandering all over the place and my villagers' houses can all be easily distinguished from one another. Only problem is that some areas feel completely deserted. Though I do like the idea of having groups of houses scattered around town (keyword: groups, not individual houses). The only time I'd ever want scattered houses is if I'm going for a certain theme or nostalgia.

I have my villagers in pairs all over. I used to like the neighborhood idea but then you never see villagers in the rest of the town.

Of course, vivians house is way far from the squirrels but she's always up there snooping around :confused:

Half of my town lives within my vicinity. I have four houses, including my own, in a straight line along a path. It actually looks pretty nice.

I like houses scattered around town. Being scattered in a group can work too. But I personally think that having them perfectly aligned in rows gives off some kind of concentration camp vibe. "Big brother is watching, return to your residence before curfew."

I think it really depends on the map for me plus the kind of town you want to have, I didn't want any of my villagers surrounding my plaza, so I had to plot reset them away from it, for the most part they stayed away from it. I've got like 6 of them sorta lined up and for the other 4, two of them are near my house and two of them are near the town hall.

In my second town because I have a similar map, I don't want them near the plaza either, but I'm hoping to scatter them out a little more as I go and get more villagers I want in my town!

Last edited:
I like houses scattered around town. Being scattered in a group can work too. But I personally think that having them perfectly aligned in rows gives off some kind of concentration camp vibe. "Big brother is watching, return to your residence before curfew."

Hmm. My husband likes to joke that my town is a prison and villagers are faking their happiness, because I control who moves in or out and where their houses go.

No one said being mayor would be easy! Imagine if in real life people just put houses wherever they want! Anarchy.

Scattered>Lined up imo.
Overall, I would say that having villager houses lined up would make for a good layout.

I tried having lined up houses, but it didn't quite work out. Now all my villagers are in areas clustered together, but not perfectly lined up, but I actually like it now. It's pretty nice and you don't have the question of "whose house is who" because even though everyone lives near each other, they each have their own location. I do have a few villagers off on their own though.

For me, it depends on the town. In AHS, I have all of the villagers lined up in a neat little neighborhood, because the town is supposed to look like a nice suburb (with the references to 'horrible' things from the show being mostly contained within the 4 character homes). I love it for this town, and wouldn't want it any other way. The villagers do wind up exploring other places in town--they don't just stand in front of their houses in a clump. :)

For Goblin and Ruddyoak, however, I wouldn't want the strict neighborhood arrangement. In Goblin, some of the houses belong to original villagers whose placement I wasn't crazy about, but that I wanted to keep. I arranged the others around them, and also moved some in a vertical line to make room for the "Labyrinth" feel of the town itself. So the villagers are somewhat scattered, yet somewhat neatly aligned and out of the way.

In Ruddyoak, which is getting a major overhaul because I never really fixed it up before, there are also some homes belonging to original villagers that are staying put, and the rest are somewhat scattered/somewhat arranged around those. Ruddyoak has the most casual feel of any of my towns, because it's kind of like a little Hobbiton. :)

I've done houses in a line and in a square I guess?
I really hated how the houses looked in a square but it was next to my plaza (the plaza had town hall above it) so I thought it was awesome.
Right now my villagers are in a line 4-5 spaces from the cliff edge.
I LOVE being able to walk down the lane and go okay so and so is home so and so isn't home.
It's a little annoying that overall everyone stays South side of the river but I'm making the top of my town a forest so I kind of like it isolated.
I tried to space the homes out so I could plant trees in the middle of the home spaces but I could only do it for half the houses.
Personally I really like it overall. Putting trees behind the row of houses as close as you can helps a ton in making it look less odd. Along with planting flowers between homes.

Back