Rainbow Crescent Moon
Galaxy Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Rainbow Star Fragment
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Crescent Moon Glow Wand
Star Glow Wand
Blue Mote of Flame
So tomorrow morning I'm going for my Driver's License. Little nervous but at the same time I'm just trying to keep myself calm.

I know how to drive and I think I can safely be on the road, but I have no idea what to expect on this test.

Do any of you have stories? How many tries you took, what they took points off for, how to stay relaxed, etc?

Sometimes reading about why good drivers failed or how bad drivers passed gives me confidence.

Good luck! I actually found mine very easy, and the man who was with me in the car would talk to me to help me remain calm.

I got an 85 on my first try. I remember the lady who rode with me took off points for not driving centered enough in neighborhoods. She said I was too close to the parked cars. You'll be fine. Just remember they give almost anyone a license

Last edited:
I live in Canada so our tests might run differently.

So first step is a written test. If you pass that, you have your G1 and it allows you to be able to drive with a legal driver in the passenger seat with their full license.

I took the G1 test. There were two sections, rules and signs. I passed the signs and failed the rules so I had to go back and retake the rules part. Then I passed.

I took driver's ed to help me practice and to lower my insurance later on in life. My dad also took me out driving a lot to practice and get more comfortable. Eventually I was good and took my G2 test which is a road test. I passed that and drove on my own for a year.

Then I went to do my full G road test. Passed that and now I am a fully fledged driver! :D

Honestly, the process of driving sucks but once you have your full license and you feel really comfortable about drivinf, you feel amazing. ^^

My advice is to practice a lot! A LOT. I had zero confidence at first. Literally none. Now after about two years of practice, I love driving so much! Not so much in high traffic areas as I get stressed out but in normal traffic areas, I'm golden! I love driving around town. C:

It's super easy, they took me around a few blocks and then I had to parallel park. Passed on my first try, you'll be good.

I failed my first test because I didn't fully stop at a 4 way stop and completely look around. It was an automatic fail, I was heartbroken. Keep both hands on the wheel and take your time at stop signs, use all your mirrors correctly... you got this :) Basically just take your time in all that you do tomorrow and you will totally get it. I am excited for you!

took the written, watched a video, then i just parallel parked and went around a few blocks in a residential and that was it
ezpz

It's really easy. I failed backing around a corner but who tf backs around a corner to try and get less than 1 ft from a curb anyway. I've never done this in real life

but yeah it will be no problem just remember to use your blinker, stop for an awkwardly long amount of time at stop signs and don't go over the line, know which way to turn your steering wheel when parking up/down a hill, make a big deal about checking your mirrors/blind spots and you'll be fine

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh yeah and have both hands on the wheel at all times. thats a good one

For one of my failed attempts, I was stuck behind a street sweeper, which put me off.
My road instincts were still set to 'bicycle' at that stage - bicycle = be wary of EVERYTHING, because it can do more damage to you than you can to it. Flinch when anything is coming up behind. The only way out of that mode of thinking was much more practice.

Get to know your vehicle - size, length, turning points. I advise driving in it for at least half an hour before your test, and practicing your 3pt turns and parallel parking manoeuvres during that practice drive.
Do not switch lanes or try to merge without indicating! It is amazing how many drivers who should know better forget that bit, but it is something that testers watch out for.
When you do your head checks, make them quick, but obvious. Definitely look though, because what you don't see could kill you. Road parity (positioning on the road) can be important.
Also, try to brake gently. My driving instructor warned me to try for gentle, gradual stops, because if the tester is flung forwards, they might mark you down. Foot off accelerator, ease onto the brake pedal when slow enough to coast. The distances depend on the car/conditions of course!
Take note of the street signs, as your tester may either not be familiar with the area, or simply be testing you - I had one lady request a U-turn, but there was a sign saying 'no U-turn', which I pointed out. I have a friend who, on his driving test, had a cyclist that HE could see, but the tester could not! He almost failed for not following directions, until he pointed out the cyclist, who he would have hit, had he followed immediately.

My brother failed when going for his manual test because he stalled the car by accident, and that's an automatic fail. I did my test in an automatic, so I have no manual-specific tips.

I am in Australia, and we drive in the left lane. Thus, I have no tips about right/left.

Best of luck!

Oh AND make sure all of your break lights work before the test. Even if the small break light above the rear windshield is out they won't let you take the test. so test em before you get there

The written and driving test were super easy for me, I passed both on the first try. I think I missed 3 questions on the written one, and I didn't get any errors at all for the driving (hooray) but the instructor I got seemed super intimidating so it was a lil nerve-wracking. I'm glad it was in the summer though, with the hot weather she probably just wanted to get it over with quickly so she chose an easy route and I didn't even have to park in the parking lot (which I was still having a little trouble with at the time).

If you've practiced driving around enough I really don't see how you'd fail other than getting too nervous and forgetting simple things. But good luck!!

I passed on the first try.
The dumb lady giving me the test forgot where the turn was and blamed me for it. She had a very high-and-mighty attitude she wouldn't admit that it was her mistake not mine, so I think she took points off for it.
She also busted me for 'going too fast in a school zone' which, again I think this 'mistake' was her fault because if I went over the speed limit at all it was literally just 1 tick over for no more than a second. And I think she might have been reading my speedometer wrong too.

But even with all that she still passed me. She gave me the max amount of penalty you can get and still pass. But hey, I passed.

My advice is don't sweat it. Think about how many idiots you know, now think about how many idiots you know with drivers licences. exactly. so don't worry too much, and remember that a lot of it depends on your instructor and whether or not they have a stick up their butt. Good luck! I believe in you!!:D

I'm turning 17 this year, and here in the UK 17 is the legal age to drive, and knowing my parents they'll want me to learn as soon as humanly possible, so I'll probably be doing it this year. Terrified, honestly.

Literally everyone I speak to has told me that it's super easy in reality. Most people expect it to be horrific and take forever, when really it's not bad at all. I'll have to see for myself how true that is, though.

my experience with getting my license is different from a lot of people, i think. so i never really had a strict driving instructor who took points off for everything, my high school had a hired driving instructor & in order to get your license, you had to drive with her every day for about a month & at the end she did a "test", which in all honesty was just to make sure we could stay in the lanes and not speed. i never felt anxious about it either (& i'm a very anxious person), the instructor would always make conversation with me and the other girl who was in the car (we split time driving, so one person would start & leave the school and go to a certain area, then we'd switch and the other person would drive back).

How did your drivers test go??

Heres the update:

Went in like super confident and ready to go, tapped the cone upfront for parallel park and automatic fail.
Sucks cuz I felt super confident in my parallel park like I've been ace-ing it for the last few weeks.

i like finished the test though just to see what else I would mess up on and afterwards the guy said I was a good (and polite?) driver. Next week....
damn.

the lady who did mine was a regular at red lobster where I worked....

I told her no cheddar bay biscuits if you fail me bee. She listened good and passed me on the first go round.
I got docked for not looking around towards the back of the DMV for oncomers, like ok

I'm 18 in May and I've been putting off learning to drive for a while because the idea of being behind the wheel makes me really anxious. Neither of my parents drive so it's not like I have anyone to teach me (for free at least) either. :/ It's rather common for young people in Ireland not to get their licenses until their 20s though

Reading all these stories has made me super nervous for when I can drive. I turn 17 this July, which is the legal age in the UK, so it'll be interesting to see how my test will go. I'm the type of person that would get super anxious in that situation, so I'd probably cry or something if I failed...

Heres the update:

Went in like super confident and ready to go, tapped the cone upfront for parallel park and automatic fail.
Sucks cuz I felt super confident in my parallel park like I've been ace-ing it for the last few weeks.

i like finished the test though just to see what else I would mess up on and afterwards the guy said I was a good (and polite?) driver. Next week....
damn.

I'm sure you'll pass it next time! Just learn from your mistakes and move on, at least you've identified where the problem was and know where to rectify it.

Back