• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Trump reverses Obama's guidance on bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually the only one on this thread so far that opposes making all bathrooms unisex. Maybe it would lead to more sex crimes (including non-violent ones like voyeurism). Maybe the opposite is true. But even if sex crimes isn't the issue, I still don't think it's right for a boy to be in the girls' restroom or vice versa. Same with a man in the woman's restroom. Opponents of the gendered bathrooms would throw in "discrimination" into the argument and would compare this to the separation of races in public restrooms, but I am 100% skeptical of claims that gendered bathrooms were meant to oppress women. I'm also skeptical of the claims that "privacy and security in bathrooms is a lie". You can believe what you want to believe, but this is what I believe. For now, I think gendered bathrooms (which has been a social norm for a while) should stay until it really becomes a liability or until all businesses can spin off public bathrooms creatively, like this:

hero_0.jpg

If all public restrooms look like this, then there would be no reason to have gender restrictions in public restrooms. It would cost a lot of money, but it would finally end this ridiculous debate.

I agree, restrooms as they are right now should never be unisex. But I also don't approve of them as they are to begin with. They simply do not offer enough privacy. Public restrooms with the amount of privacy you've shown there are common sense, and I don't really know why they weren't a thing from the beginning.

The format public restrooms are in right now NEEDS to change. I'm not even talking about privacy here. I'm talking about the number of situations where an individual or individuals need a bathroom that is not sexed. Parents with children. A single parent with a child of the opposite sex. A caretaker of someone who is dependent who are of opposite sexes. Then we add on transgender people, who most certainly deserve to be treated with respect and have an option for bathroom usage.

They either need to do what the idea you posted shows, or they need to add single unisex restrooms everywhere. As it is right now, new businesses/buildings aren't even required to build these. It's absurd. The format of bathrooms right now does not work for so many different people. Sadly enough for the people the format does work for, they don't seem to care about less privileged individuals. No shocker there, I supposed.

Presidents usually don't announce their intentions for re-election until about 2 years in, because it looks like they aren't focused on the job if they're already planning their re-election when they're barely into their first term. Trump running for re-election isn't a sure thing since he is 70 years old already and he might be so fatigued from his first term given how much opposition he faces that he won't even want another term. Trump is basically acting like a guy who wants to light the house on fire before he leaves it.

Be honest with me though, does he really seem focused on his current job?

I am 100% skeptical of claims that gendered bathrooms were meant to oppress women.

http://time.com/3653871/womens-bathroom-lines-sexist-potty-parity/ here's some stats on why these "claims" are actual substantiated experiences and proven statistics/instances! :) it's actually a p compelling history and a has a lot of good points about how ideas of gender aren't removed from things in history. everything_is_connected.com

For now, I think gendered bathrooms (which has been a social norm for a while) should stay until it really becomes a liability or until all businesses can spin off public bathrooms creatively

above link also has some good info on why the standard gendering of bathrooms has never been cool as a norm.

i mean i guess it depends on what you consider a liability. is a denial of basic human right and the systemic discrimination and marginalization of transgender people a liability to our communities and society? iunno. i guess to me, people matter more than a few dimes off the billions an international corporation makes a month.

And if we're arguing that trans can use whatever bathroom because people don't regularly get attacked in bathrooms, why can't they just use the one that matches what's in their pants?

putting aside the fact that trans people get attacked anywhere, any time, i mean, do you look in literally every single person you meet's pants? how do you...know?? they could have a tamagachi up in there. don't see how it impacts your own pee lol

And if we're arguing that trans can use whatever bathroom because people don't regularly get attacked in bathrooms, why can't we all just use the one that matches what's in our pants?

Putting the use of "trans" as a noun aside, do you go "Hm I'm going to go to the stick-figure-in-a-dress washroom because I have a vagina" or do you go "I'm going to go in here because I'm a woman"? Probably the latter. Expecting different of trans people is pretty ass holey if you ask me. Just let people piss peacefully why is this even controversial

i've heard the 'pervs in dresses' argument at my school many a time when it was being debated, and i thought it was pretty ridiculous. anyone, regardless if they are trans or not, can walk into a bathroom and assault/sexually assault others. i never understood why people instantly went with 'oh, a grown man in a dress walks in the bathroom to use the restroom so now it's a problem and he'll probably sexually assault our children!1111' it's so stupid. i personally really could not care less what people do in the bathroom, i'm just there to go and get out as fast as possible because i hate being there period. and like a previous poster stated, bathrooms need a LOT of work in general. also, people use that perv argument but they're the ones letting their kids go to the bathroom alone. i don't think i've ever gone to a public bathroom alone in my whole life lmao i always have my mom or a friend with me.. if you let your young child go into the bathroom alone that's pretty bad to start with.

the point is that, regardless if trans or anything, people will still go in whatever bathroom they want and they will do whatever they want (i.e an (actual) grown man walks into the bathroom and kidnaps a young girl, etc). it doesn't matter if they are trans. it's like trans people are instantly bad people for wanting to do their business lol what the ****

To be honest, if a cis female dressed up like a man and went into the man's bathroom, do you think anyone could tell? Does anyone even care? I've seen people who by visually looking at their appearance, I could not tell what gender they were. Would I call them out on it? This whole debate.. It's so stupid.

I'm all for regular washrooms. I think having gender specific washrooms are stupid to begin with cause what's the point of separating genders just so they can pee? We all pee. Who cares? Plus, anyone can go into the opposite sex's bathroom at anytime or dress up to fake it if they were interested in raping someone. Families usually have more than one sex in it and they all share bathrooms. I just don't understand the problem tbh and why having each sex separate to be a top priority. Why can't they focus on important stuff like how we're killing our planet? Oh, I know why, cause it costs them money to fix but caging us even further with their stupid rules doesn't hurt them but in fact empowers them. God I hate governments and trump.

Putting the use of "trans" as a noun aside, do you go "Hm I'm going to go to the stick-figure-in-a-dress washroom because I have a vagina" or do you go "I'm going to go in here because I'm a woman"? Probably the latter. Expecting different of trans people is pretty ass holey if you ask me. Just let people piss peacefully why is this even controversial

This is exactly my point, and I said in the beginning that I don't care who uses what bathroom. I just don't understand so much uproar over something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place when there is so much else that's wrong in this world.

Be honest with me though, does he really seem focused on his current job?

Yes. Because he sees his job as being a businessman and POTUS is just a side-gig that he does when he's not lining his pockets with taxpayer money at Mar-a-lago.

When I hear the conservative claims on "pervs in dresses", I actually didn't think perverts that would abuse the system would cross-dress. I also didn't think transgender people could be perverted. I was actually more worried about the cisgendered heterosexuals that would commit the sex crimes. They could do this without cross-dressing.

When I hear the conservative claims on "pervs in dresses", I actually didn't think perverts that would abuse the system would cross-dress. I also didn't think transgender people could be perverted. I was actually more worried about the cisgendered heterosexuals that would commit the sex crimes. They could do this without cross-dressing.

And this is why I understand the argument from both sides. So I wish we could all just chill out about the bathroom thing and focus on bigger issues.

I was actually more worried about the cisgendered heterosexuals that would commit the sex crimes. They could do this without cross-dressing.

does """cross-dressing""" take a lot of effort? like, that argument just seems to hinge on the idea that it's a LOT OF WORK, WORK, WORK for people to wear a dress or wear pants or whatever else clothing item is supposed to have a gender. but you can literally just go to wally world...and buy these clothing items....

it takes nothing to "cross-dress," so having all gender restrooms neither encourages nor impacts the use of this in restrooms.

i think we shouldn't excuse the fact that people who are child p*dophiles, people who commit s*xual as*ault, etc. will always, always find a way to commit horrible atrocities. and the only true way to stop them is by addressing them specifically, shutting them down, not curtailing to the idea of the possibility of them. and these acts are already being committed anywhere, at any time, not just in all gender restrooms. i know, because we don't have all gender restrooms, and they are still happening, in increasing amounts.

anyway, why punish trans people then, for the actions that cisgender people might take?

hero_0.jpg

If all public restrooms look like this, then there would be no reason to have gender restrictions in public restrooms. It would cost a lot of money, but it would finally end this ridiculous debate.

this was basically what I meant by ditching gendered bathrooms

maybe not as technologically fancy, but the core idea is all here pretty much

Last edited:
I don't have strong feelings about this. I think people should be able to use whatever bathroom they want but I see the reasoning behind having people use the bathroom that matches what's in their pants. And while gender neutral bathrooms are preferable I think that will take a ton* of money to implement everywhere.

And if we're arguing that trans can use whatever bathroom because people don't regularly get attacked in bathrooms, why can't we all just use the one that matches what's in our pants?

I just think there are bigger issues to focus on than bathrooms.

Which is why I'm so pissed about all this. Trump is focusing on something so little compared to other issues we have (AKA ISIS, OR FLINTS WATER PROBLEM, OR HEALTH CARE.) that solves absolutly nothing! It just creates negativity!

idk just piss and go don't be a jerk about it, use whatever bathroom you want

I agree, restrooms as they are right now should never be unisex. But I also don't approve of them as they are to begin with. They simply do not offer enough privacy. Public restrooms with the amount of privacy you've shown there are common sense, and I don't really know why they weren't a thing from the beginning.

The format public restrooms are in right now NEEDS to change. I'm not even talking about privacy here. I'm talking about the number of situations where an individual or individuals need a bathroom that is not sexed. Parents with children. A single parent with a child of the opposite sex. A caretaker of someone who is dependent who are of opposite sexes. Then we add on transgender people, who most certainly deserve to be treated with respect and have an option for bathroom usage.

They either need to do what the idea you posted shows, or they need to add single unisex restrooms everywhere. As it is right now, new businesses/buildings aren't even required to build these. It's absurd. The format of bathrooms right now does not work for so many different people. Sadly enough for the people the format does work for, they don't seem to care about less privileged individuals. No shocker there, I supposed.

this was basically what I meant by ditching gendered bathrooms

maybe not as technologically fancy, but the core idea is all here pretty much

I think both of you best explained why I am against removing gendered bathrooms completely. It's because of how they were structured today. Even just sheets of wood that separates the toilets with stall doors like we have today aren't very effective. It may cost a lot of money, and it may result in fewer toilets, but by separating toilets into different rooms connected to the same bathroom, here are some of the problems it can solve:

• It would no longer matter what bathroom to use if you're transgender. Even cisgenders can use any bathroom.
  • Peeping Toms and pedophiles will have a much harder time spying on bathroom users for sexual pleasure. It might be impossible to do so in public restrooms anymore.
  • It would increase privacy and security for all.
  • It will reduce waiting times in bathrooms for those who need to use the restroom. If one is full, they can go to the next one.
  • North Carolina's bathroom bill and several other policies like that will be obsolete.
  • And more that I can't explain.
We could also do this for locker rooms and showers as well.

Which is why I'm so pissed about all this. Trump is focusing on something so little compared to other issues we have (AKA ISIS, OR FLINTS WATER PROBLEM, OR HEALTH CARE.) that solves absolutly nothing! It just creates negativity!

He has been focusing on larger scale issues before, but the way he's doing it is like putting out a fire with gasoline instead of water or adding spiders to a room filled with ants instead of fumigating. He's threatening to defund an entire state for protecting some undocumented immigrants and put a ban on refugees from seven different countries. But you're right. He's caring too much over little issues like this.

trans people can be in danger when they go into public bathrooms. we dont need laws that make itworse for trans people who just wanna do their thing and leave

Who actually cares. Like I'm not transgender but if the women's restroom is full then by god I'll use the mens and no one gives a crap. If I saw a boy walk into the girls restroom i'd be confused but I wouldn't care much about it.

Like seriously it's just a bathroom.

- - - Post Merge - - -

But you're right. He's caring too much over little issues like this.

Like he makes constant facebook posts about "fake news" and I'm like wow Trump I see where your priorities are.

I actually agree with you Apple2012, I wouldn't want there to be only unisex washrooms. I personally wouldn't feel safe using a washroom that men could just walk into and I think that's a safety issue that both cis and trans women experience. So I think it's important that both groups of women can use women's washrooms without making it a political issue.

I'm neutral about it. I can understand both sides of the argument.

I think that positive change can happen in communities. As is shown all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back